Workers Compensation - Workmans Comp Service Center

Hello There, Guest! Register

Important Notice: We have deployed some new anti-spam measures that have enabled us to once again allow registration with a simple email verification. However, please do not hesitate to report suspected spam threads should they arise.

Spammers take note - your posts, if successful, will not last here. Our community is vigilant in identifying and reporting spam posts for IMMEDIATE removal. Don't waste your time!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does all this mean?
08-13-2008, 08:27 PM,
What does all this mean?
I was injured at work in March of 2007. I have never been off work but have considerable pain. I have had physical therapy and recently was sent for a QME. In the doctor's comments he says that I have a 5% impairment of the whole person (WPI) and he advises ongoing conservative care. He says "The patient is "on the job" and therefore there is no basis for finding TTD or QIW. I don't have an attorney and I have no idea what all this means. The fact that I have had no time off work does not mean that I had no pain I just went to work and endured it since they never said that I could have time off. I would appreciate any information that anyone can give me. Thanks.
08-13-2008, 09:30 PM,
RE: What does all this mean?
5% WPI is the rating that your permanent disability will be based on. Not sure what State you are in but for instance in California that number will be converted into a rating that will determine what you will be paid in permanent disability. This will not be a lot of money.

TTD is temporary total disability. You would receive payments for this if you are taken off work by the doctor. In your case he is saying that since you were not off work there is no TTD due.

QIW is Qualified Injured Worker and is a term used to designate that you can no longer perform your current job duties and would need some sort of re-training. Again in California that would be given to you in the form of a voucher that you would use at a school. With your 5% WPI you would probably be looking at a $4,000 voucher which is the minimum. As you can see this does not buy a whole lot of training.
08-13-2008, 11:31 PM,
Thank you for the information. I am in California. Doesn't sound like a very good outcome for me at all. Since the doctor said that I am not TTD then what kind of award would 5% give me? This really doesn't seem fair since I went to work and lived with the pain instead of staying home since they didn't take me off work so I guess it seemed as though it wasn't as bad as it really was.
08-14-2008, 11:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-14-2008, 03:01 PM by 1171.)
the 5% wpi will be modified up or down before the payments are calculated so it's difficult to say what additional benefits you'll get. Ratings are a complicated process set by law.
how much time off from work you took is not a factor used by the doctor to compute your WPI or by the state to compute the permanent disability.
you can find out more from the PD fact sheet or discussing your particular case with an Information & Assistance officer:
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/iwguides.html
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/IandA.html
08-28-2008, 12:55 AM,
Hi...

I have another question and I really appreciate all the answers you have already given me. I got a Notice Regarding Permanent Disability Benenfits and this is what it said: "Permanent Disability to be 6%, in need of continuing medical care". They also gave me a check for permanent disability and said I would be getting checks each month until the entire amount had been paid. It also said these payments would be deducted from any award I might receive. The question I have is what exactly does "continuing medical care" mean what would have to happen for me to get an award that the payments would be deducted from?

Thanks,
Marilyn
08-28-2008, 10:04 AM,
continuing medical care means that your right to treatment for the injury continues as needed.
your permanent disability rating as well as all information regarding your injury will be sent to the work comp court for approval. If the comp judge approves of the calculation and payments etc. then they will isssue a formal written award. .
having an award allows the court to enforce the terms at anytime.
08-29-2008, 07:43 AM,
So this will be sent to a court for a final award? Since I am only 6% and this letter already says they are paying $4,140.00 do you think there would be much more of an award?
08-29-2008, 11:23 AM,
no, it's not likely to change.
the judge will either approve the calculations as correct or disapprove as incorrect.
the formula is set by law and it's not likely they submitted erroneous or bogus information.
08-29-2008, 04:37 PM,
It said in the letter if I was given an award that these payments would be deducted from that so I didn't know if it was two separate things. Thanks for all your help!