• Please excuse our dust
  • We are continuing the redesign of our forums
  • We'll get there eventually!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
disability benefits question
I have returned to work part time until releasedfor 40 hours a week (light duty) in the coming month or so and am recieving pay from work then 50% of my old gross pay average(minus current pay). Ill be at least until November ( over1 year from injury) before I can even have a chance of making the money I use to make and return to my old job.
I suffered a TBI (brain injury ) with surgery and alot of broken bones and other problems. Im told there is no %100 recovery from my injurys so shouldnt I recieve %75 of my old gross minus my pay and not %50??

What state are you from? That would help people to know how to answer this question.

check the maryland rules here
http://www.wcc.state.md.us/Gen_Info/WCC_Benefits.html

I live in Maryland and I checked the rules but do not understand where I would fall in the temp. disability or what?
They have a disability % 50 for temporary disabled and 75% for permanent and I dont understand why I shouldn't get the %75 in regards to my injury being permanent not temporary.
I guess what I'm asking is wouldn't a brain injury be classified as permanent??

not if you wanted to work in politics................but for the rest of us seems to me it would
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

jayne Wrote:not if you wanted to work in politics................but for the rest of us seems to me it would
I guess im gonna have a talk with my lawyer Monday as to why I have only been getting 50% in regards to temp. disability and not %75 perm. disability.

until you have reached maximum recovery your disability is not considered permanent. after you have reached MMI your permanent impairment will be rated.

1171 Wrote:until you have reached maximum recovery your disability is not considered permanent. after you have reached MMI your permanent impairment will be rated.
Oh I understand now. Thanks!!!!
I just wish I could figure that impairment rating out. How in the heck do the figure out what I had and what I loss involing a brain injury much less all the other broken bones?
Also how do they account for future problems like my doctors have mentioned with my 3 broken vertabra and pelvis ,arm ,etc which im told will be able to "forecast the weather" in years to come as well as my increased risk of seizures and epilepsy?I was 32 at the time I was injried so ive got alot of years to deal with this.

they only rate your current problems, not what might happen in the future.
there are a number of different rating guidelines for doctors to use. they are very complicated. ask you doctor to show you how a rating is done.
do you know what maryland comp law uses?
if you go to a medical library you can look at the AMA disability rating guidelines for an idea how a doctor does a rating.

Mutley, if you are also asking how they figure out your future medical payments, for a settlement, my understanding is that they use info. from your Dr. and do a guesstimation.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another question..re. settlements vs. perm. disability lfoster21 14 8,678 04-26-2014, 08:45 AM
Last Post: bronco54501
  Quick question about Lumbar injury, rating, and state disability Frayed 17 8,723 10-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Last Post: Frayed
  Question regarding Appeal of MMI and Disability kerrtxgjg 1 1,789 07-22-2013, 11:07 AM
Last Post: 1171
Question Question about disability lizdawiz82 1 1,396 01-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Question Disability Question? lizdawiz82 5 2,315 12-31-2011, 01:36 AM
  Unemployment Benefits after Settlement has been paid...Question?? NVworker 5 8,018 09-16-2011, 09:52 PM
Last Post: Saving Grace
  Temporary disability benefits koshik 1 1,668 03-22-2011, 09:11 PM
  state disability/PD payments question highdesertguy 5 6,620 07-31-2010, 06:06 PM
  end of wc benefits question highdesertguy 4 1,910 07-19-2010, 08:05 PM
  state disability/ workers comp question. highdesertguy 4 10,376 05-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Last Post: highdesertguy