Workers Compensation - Workmans Comp Service Center

Current time: 04-27-2015, 01:02 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Important Notice: We have deployed some new anti-spam measures that have enabled us to once again allow registration with a simple email verification. However, please do not hesitate to report suspected spam threads should they arise.

Spammers take note - your posts, if successful, will not last here. Our community is vigilant in identifying and reporting spam posts for IMMEDIATE removal. Don't waste your time!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Please Explain
06-09-2008, 03:01 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2008 11:54 PM by justwannabefixed.)
Question Please Explain
Hi Everyone!

Can someone plz explain the differences btwn PPD, TTD, and whatever othe acronyms there are to describe impairments and disabilities? I want to know specifically what constitutes each, not just the pay scale. I kept find the pay schedule whenever I tried to find out what they meant. Also, I want to know who decides whether it's a PPD or TTD,etc? What if I disagree with the label associated with my disability? I have no idea what it is as of yet, haven't heard from my employer or IC, or Dr's office. But I had my FCE and it went ok I suppose.

The FCE guy said I need to find a new career, and so did my doctor. But my doctor said my rating, which I have no idea what that is fully, but he said it would be low b/c I have range of motion of my hand but the pain prevents me from using it and therefore it and my arm is weak and so I can't lift more than 3lbs and that what he put for my MMI, which I forgot what that stands for but my employer still said they didn't have any work for me and to just stay home til I get a call to come back. Still getting paid my WC checks but have yet to hear from anyone. So I figure I get caught up and do some research so I am prepared for any BS that my comes my way soon.

MOBILE,ALABAMA

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2008, 08:30 AM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2008 08:30 AM by piedmontmountain.)
RE: Please Explain
Hi,
TTD = Temporary total disability
PPD = permanent partial disability
MMI = Maxium medical improvement

This is all I can answer for sure.
here's your states WC rules, as they're all different.
http://www.workerscompensation.com/alabama.php

Someone "in the know" will be along shortly to specifically answer your questions. LillySmile

Injured worker, & tired of it all! I'm too old for games!!

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!
06-09-2008, 10:00 AM
once your Doc puts you at MMI your TTD turns to PPD .....if you think your rating might be low it might be time to talk with a lawyer...

........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......
06-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Also at Times if they are Investigating Your Initial Injury, in the beginning they will Pay TPD,(Temporary Partial Disability) and when Your Claim is Fully Accepted they will switch to TTD, and if You are Rated with a Partial Disability after MMI, it's as Jayne said PPD. I Hope this Helps, and Welcome to the Boards!!Wink

Failed Back Surgery, Chronic Pain, Totally Disabled.

Knowledge is Power, Especially in the World of w/c. Learn as Much as You can about Your States w/c Laws, and don't Fight Battles alone, They Use Attorney's, and so Should You!!
06-09-2008, 01:20 PM
THanks, but I'm still confused...What the difference between TPD, TTD and PPD? Who labels my injury as which one? THks.

Still in Limbo Wrote:Also at Times if they are Investigating Your Initial Injury, in the beginning they will Pay TPD,(Temporary Partial Disability) and when Your Claim is Fully Accepted they will switch to TTD, and if You are Rated with a Partial Disability after MMI, it's as Jayne said PPD. I Hope this Helps, and Welcome to the Boards!!Wink
06-09-2008, 02:05 PM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2008 05:24 PM by WCisBS.)
It depends on your state law. generally there are 2 types of temporary disability and 2 types of permanent disability.
Temporary disability is paid while you are recovering from an injury. Oftentimes the acute phase right after an injury or surgery requires the worker to avoid all work activities for a "short" term - temporary total disability. sometimes the physician will allow lite work (temporary partial disability) when hours or pay is reduced until recovery is complete.
Serious injuries can result in permanent impairment e.g. you'll never have full recovery.
In most cases the permanent impairment places limited restrictions on your activites (permanent partial disability) rarely are the restrictions so great that there is no work a person will ever be able to do (permanent total disability)
These determinations are made based on medical opinion.
each of those medical states are used to calculate a different disability payment. the calculation is done by the work comp carrier or employer.
does that help?
if we know what state your are in I can give more specific information.
06-10-2008, 07:12 PM
I'm in Alabama. I was give a zero PPI rating today which devastated me. I don't know how that's possible when I have a MMI of no greater than 5lbs. How does the PPI rating affect my WC benefits, any possible settlement, etc?
06-10-2008, 07:57 PM
I suspect there were different medical opinions.
you could contact the ombudsman for help in resolving the discrepancy
http://dir.alabama.gov/wc/ombudsman.aspx
06-10-2008, 08:37 PM
1171 Wrote:I suspect there were different medical opinions.
you could contact the ombudsman for help in resolving the discrepancy
http://dir.alabama.gov/wc/ombudsman.aspx

Okay. Thanks.....I still feel a bit of anxiety coming over me b/c this is so irritating not knowing how the PPI will affect me.
06-10-2008, 09:21 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2008 09:21 PM by WCisBS.)
the rating determines the length (in weeks) of additional permanent impairment benefits that will be available after conclusion of Temporary disability.
some information is available here
http://dir.alabama.gov/wc/benefits.aspx

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What are the steps to becomming MMI ifyour Dr. doesn't explain things to ya? Sunshine7 23 7,681 01-14-2010 12:35 PM
Last Post: Cycler
  1171 explain both sides please tweety00 17 5,147 08-13-2007 03:02 AM
Last Post: tweety00
  I WILL TRY & EXPLAIN MY PAST POST CHRISTY51 5 2,346 08-01-2007 01:19 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy