Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally got counter offer from IC and it SUCKS
Little re-cap. Back injury while teaching a few years ago, didn't do surgery, taking pain meds. I taught 1 full year with injury, couldn't do it again this year. Been getting weekly checks all year. Lawyer offered them a settlement price of $130K months ago, that includes closed medical and I would not teach any more in that district. Finally got a counter offer of $30K from them. He is goint to counter back, probably won't help. So for never being able to run, bend over, and play with my children like I would like to again, I get a whopping 1/3 of $30K. What a great system, but I blame my lawyer just as much. Anyone here have any experience with offers and counter offers? Hopefully they will go up a little because all my cards are maxed out and I can't pay those bills or my first and second mortgage.
I settled last week.....I had a decent lawyer my share was a little under 100 thousand which will pay off everything I owe with 5 thousand left over....I took their 2nd offer.....I had 6 busted disc with 2 fused with cage refused all other surgeries......settlement was based on future surgery costs
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Hi and welcome to the board. I know that sounds terrible and it is. This is a counter offer. They ball parked it low. They know you are not going to accept this as well you should not. What did your lawyer say? Is he wanting to pull a plan together to counter offer. Remember you want as possible becasue it is you life, the IC want to keep as much as possible. You do not want to accept there first offer. This W/C merrigoround we are all on takes so much time, while bills just keep piling up. I wish you well...welcome.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.
That's about all you will see also, unless you have had a esimated future Medical expense report to go with an offer.

I was told you Attorney shouldn't make an offer, but ask them what their willing to settle for, and work in that direction.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.
The WC Evaluation person said I can be on light duty so that is why they are offering $33K and I am sure I won't see any more than that. That's why I am mad at my attorney, he never tried to get me in to see another Dr. to get another rating, I know am worse than 5%. My attorney told the IC while he made the first offer that I will have to have a fusion/surgery in the future and will cost the IC over $200K. Guess that didn't help. I cleaned two rooms in my house the other day and I still can barely move - light duty my ass.
Who refused to perorm or do the surgery that is needed?

Last I can remember 5% is a rating when surgery wasn't performed?
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.
How come you don't recommend paralysis? that's where the big money is?!!!
If you can get yourself paralysed or brain damaged you're set for life. I know some really bad doctors that could get the job done.

stiffneck your advice is sick.....
This is not helping people. You are way off track with this kind of response.
stop it.
"Footer/signature" used in all my posts:
........Each state has their own comp system. We need to know which state the claim was filed in to provide accurate information.........
Paralysis....or brain damaged, that is where the big money is......to recommend this .....well that is a sick statement.  Your post is like the pot calling the kettle black.  I did not find that nice at all and that type of post to anyone is not necessary.  You are the professional here and have mounds of knowledge so, I would ask you to please not post and speak to people this way.  Notice, I asked you to stop and did not demand you to stop!  Everyone is human, you know. Thank You!
Lumbar Laminectomy L5 - S1, Lumbar Disectomy L 4 -5, Cervical Microdisectomy C-4 -5, Cervical Anterior Fusion C 4 -5, Cervical Anterior Fusion C 5 - 6, Lumbar Disectomy, Laminectomy and Foraminotmy L 3 - 4, Cryo Surgery Lumbar. --Ongoing Problems.. Permanently Totally Disabled.
I'm so confused...all she said was if you refuse to have surgery (worried it will make matters worse, scared, multiple reasons to refuse out there...) that a small settlement can be expected. I think she was trying to convey that if surgery is required then a 5% rating is low.

Did I miss something, I don't understand the angry reply, I'm trying to figure out what I missed...
Please click the link below to help provide food for homeless animals. It's free and only takes a second of your time! Thanks Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Settlement Counter offer iceg0412 1 1,382 01-29-2017, 02:54 AM
Last Post: 1171
  Finally got settlement offer JoeHart 3 2,290 05-18-2016, 10:12 PM
Last Post: JoeHart
  counter settlement offers soreback 10 4,980 09-20-2015, 03:07 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Workers Compensation System Sucks oblivyous 2 11,172 10-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  it just sucks!  just a bad day imsckofit 25 8,858 06-01-2007, 07:30 PM
Last Post: MJC