• Please excuse our dust
  • We are continuing the redesign of our forums
  • We'll get there eventually!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone hire an atty. for a Soc.Sec. hearing?
Hi all-
I was wondering if anyone here has hired an attorney to help them with a Soc. Sec. hearing, and if so, how much did they charge you?

Attorney fees for SS are controlled by the government. When I applied the fee was 25% of back pay up to a maximum of $5200.00.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. Jesus died for our sins. Soilders died for our freedom.

Thank you, I was not sure if it was government regulated and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't being ripped off. Do you know if it is sent to the lawyer by SS or do I get the back pay and then send it to them. (Or is that an individual lawyers choice).

Also, if you can remember, did it take the entire 60 days that they say it will take to get it in the system and them out to the person?

Thanks.

In my case the 25% of back pay was sent to the attorney and the other 75% was sent to me. I think the attorney has to notify SSA that they are representing a client in reference to any SS claim. That is the only way the attorney would get any correspondence from them. Further more that would be the only way the attorny would be able to get info about the client from SSA. Once SS knows that the client is represented they know to send the attorney the 25% of back pay.

Please forgive me. I am not having a good night and the meds are messing with me hard. I am lost in reference to your last question. Can you elaborate???
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. Jesus died for our sins. Soilders died for our freedom.

i hired an attorney as well for the hearing.

As far as payment if that is what your referring to - or hearing - that is different. A hearing to be set up can take from 6 months or longer to be set up depending on where you live once you appeal your last decision. After the hearing - they say on average it can take another 6 weeks - but last sept - SS decided to have mass hearings so now all things are slowed to a snails pace on decisions from hearings. Right now in OK - it's gone from 8 weeks to 9 months for decisions. SS was trying to get all the older cases that have been waiting on hearings into their hearings at least so now the ALJ are over burdened with decisions on the cases to write while still more hearings to do at the same time.

Thanks for your answers. Actually, I was asking about the payment. I had my hearing a few weeks ago and the judge made the decision right there, after the hearing. I called the SS 800 # to ask what would happen next and she said the judgment was put in the book on Feb. 7 and it takes 60 days before it is in the system and I receive a check. Does that sound right, or is the 60 days an aproxamate?

Thanks again,
Lorie

I think the 60 day period is a standard responce. Everything in my case was taking about 45 days.

In my case when I was approved for SSD, the gov sent the entire check to me! Then i called lawyer and wrote him a check for his cut. he said normally, the check would come to him first for him to take his amount out, then give me the rest. Why it was sent to me, I don't have a clue, as his name and address were on the forms i filled out as my rep.
LillySmile
Injured worker, & tired of it all! I'm too old for games!!

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!

after I was approved the check was in my account before I got the award letter....no lawyer involved here tho had a check within 2 weeks for back pay.....spoiled the kids a bit they earned it and got some new things needed for the house..and paid a repairman or two..careful it goes fast......
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Hubby received his check for backpay less than 30 days after the decision. As with Jayne he rec'd his $$$ before any paperwork. Best of luck.

CAP

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  perm total disability awarded/atty fees lisawilson7991 4 1,681 07-29-2014, 10:17 PM
Last Post: 1171
Sad South Carolina is it time to hire an attorney? Amarie1121 2 1,443 08-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Last Post: jayne
  Aaaaargh! My atty was no help monster1963 0 981 02-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Last Post: monster1963
  Defense atty called me asking what to do with the claim... soconfused 3 2,769 12-04-2010, 01:16 PM
  If I drop my atty do I continue to see the doctors that he set me up with? alagada1 3 2,728 11-15-2010, 12:37 AM
Last Post: AQA
Question Should you hire an attorney? arainbowchaser 5 3,506 04-23-2009, 10:04 AM
  atty. client contract breech leomale6964 1 2,123 10-14-2008, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Still in Limbo
  Problems with atty...... Jaycojade 4 2,343 07-27-2008, 10:17 PM
Last Post: mistreated
  Should I hire a lawyer? Servicetech 8 2,819 04-11-2008, 06:50 AM
Last Post: ace25
  atty hopefully CJknee 3 1,642 02-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Last Post: CJknee