• Please excuse our dust
  • We are continuing the redesign of our forums
  • We'll get there eventually!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
two level spinal fusion ,now 6mos.
help anyone! hi i am new to this and have been out of work now for over 20 months. i injured my back , tried everything and had a two level spinal fusion done approx 6 monthw ago. i am still in rehab , doc says mine bone graft is still healing and does not anticipate me to be able to do anything until aug. 2008 (6more months) i was fired 30 days after my accident and the doctor said i will not be able to do what i was doing. of course , i have a hundred questions, concerns and i will be eligible for voc. rehab. i understand that the laws in Ill. say i can use the ins. company or if i want my own someone to help me find a job. my problem is i will be 56 years old ,limited schooling, and now need to start over. i now will have a partial perm. disability, and i wonder or does anyone know how long will they let you get retrained or go to school while i will be paid what they term maintenance while i am doing this. it is scary to think they can choose someone for you , but if i decide to take a school course, let ,s face it, i cannot get a new career in 30 days and i wonder how long i can get maintenance for while undergoing voc. rehab. i will have restrictions i know for lifting so i will probably end up as a greeter at the door for walmart. just thinking about some of these things is very stressfull and i am wondering has anyone been through this in illinois or somewhere where itis the same ? any info would be great thanks

Hello and wlcome to the forum!
The forum is never this dead, especially on Saturday. There are lots of people with similar problems and lots of people from Illinois. Hang in there
and someone will come along soon with the answers you're looking for.

have you applied for SSDI yet and do you have a lawyer?
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

jayne Wrote:have you applied for SSDI yet and do you have a lawyer?

yes i have a lawyer in downtown chicago, he has never said anything about ssdi i thought the only way to get ssdi is to be declared totally disabled at the end of your injury. i now collect workers comp ttd, total temporary disability , i know of nothing else and what are the requirements.. does anyone out there know? please let know. i now i will get a diability frating at the end, what maybe 20 percent?? i have been told i will never do anything where i will be doing lifting and the doc in conversation told me that . i do not see myself lifting more than 40 pounds so it is like ,good luck in finding a job... it is frustrating and now they want me to take medication for depression.. great huh? anyway , i just try to deal with it.. thanks everyone....

take all your paperwork to SS office and apply.....on Monday
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

QUOTE yes i have a lawyer in downtown chicago, he has never said anything about ssdi i thought the only way to get ssdi is to be declared totally disabled at the end of your injury. UNQUOTE.

You will find many that have applied for SSDI before they reached MMI. If you have been off work for six months and your condition is expected to keep you from working another six months you may want to apply. Some are approved in a short time and some (relatively speaking) and for some it may take years.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. Jesus died for our sins. Soilders died for our freedom.

Welcome to the forum!

I was injured in 2005 and am waiting for the judge's approval for my 3rd surgery. I have been enrolled in online college courses since my accident and am paying for the classes myself.

Go talk to a special needs counsler at your local college, I foud this to be a big help. Many on this forum do receive voc rehab and perhaps they will respond in time.

I applied for social security disability and was approved in 6 weeks. I do have the option of recieving voc rehab because I am on social security but need to take care of my medical first.

I am from Chicago and also had a 2 level fusion. I had my surgery on Nov 1st, 2006. I am still in much pain and will be in pain management for many years to come. I was just put at MMI on Dec 4th, 2007. I took an FCE test in Nov, 2007. I have problems sitting for any period of time and my old job was 95% sitting. I applied for SSD and was approved in 3 months in March, 2006. I am 54 years old now . My previous employer has no job for me now since I have been out of work since Sept, 2005 the date of my 1st back surgery. I could not work anymore now with the restrictions of having to get up and move around all of the time plus I am on heavy medications with driving cautions on 2 of them. I am still receiving my ttd checks from the IC and they are in the process of setting up a medicare set aside account now. They have asked my attorney for a dollar figure to settle the indemnity portion of the case now while they wait for the approval of CMS for the medical portion of the case. They have the right to settle out the indemnity part of the case as long as we both agree on a dollar figure that way they can stop paying me the weekly check. I know that my drug expense now is running over $1500.00 per month and if they have to set aside enough for my entire life it's a large sum. My attorney asked about vocational rehab but the IC would rather settle the case now knowing that I can not return to a job. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. I live in Chicago.

Hi SS....welcome to the forum!
Your situation sounds similar to mine. I live in Michigan, am older, have limited schooling, permenant injury w/ lifetime restrictions. I filed for SSD while on WC and was approved. Here is my story (I copied/pasted my post from a previous post) You can also do a search....use the search bar type in Voc rehab, and it will call up all the voc rehab subjects/replies from the past...there's some good reading.

....the voc rehab for me, was mainly a joke....and I was the brunt of that joke. In my case, voc rehab consisted of testing me to see what transferrable job skills i had, and what type of work I was best suited for, within my restrictions....my VR counciler teaching me job search skills, proper resume/cover letter writing and a job search log i had to keep, of at least 5 job searches a day, which included the address, tele#, contact person, and what kind of job it was for...if i had an interview, filled out an app, sent a resume, person I had called on the phone etc. I had to turn these logs into my VRC every three weeks when i met with her. She would also send & email me jobs she had found...that i had to follow up on. One cannot sluff on their logs...as they can ck up on you...so DO what you say you did! I was accustomed to making a good yearly wage at a fairly complicated, important, and very detail orientated job....then suddenly i was expected to pass out pretzel samples in a mall, work in retail, answer phones, flip burgers, ....you get the drift. They want you back to ANY TYPE of work no matter how humiliating it is, so that they can lessen the amount they have to pay you weekly. Their goal is to get you back in to the workforce
ANYWHERE....AS FAST AS POSSIBLE !
Others on here have been offered schooling & retraining (I'm too old apparently (52) & wasn't offered this service) or have had a good experience w/ VR...but in my case it has been fruitless. After a time in VR...they may send you for "work hardening"...which may be physical therapy to harden your body to be able to withstand daily job demands....or, like in my case, I actually had to go to work, in a place of their choice, and actually 'do' a job for six weeks....while i stayed within my permanent restrictions. This was also a 'crap ' no brainer job.
It is not a fun time, and becomes more stressful the longer your job search continues...as the job opening options decline as you apply for them.
My VR lasted for 16 months. It was a long haul. One of our other members Kat, is on her second round of VR!! Yikes.

Good luck to you, I hope you have a better experience than I, but are lucky enough to receive a great VR counciler as I did.
Take care. LillySmile
Injured worker, & tired of it all! I'm too old for games!!

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Approaching my mmi after a 2 level acdf surgery and the nightmare has no end in sight gopack4mvp2 5 2,060 10-25-2014, 12:18 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Spinal Fusion/Mandatory Settlement? Jherek 3 18,989 05-10-2012, 01:48 AM
Last Post: (EX)surveillanceInvestigator
  Spinal Fusion Need Help matcc 12 5,498 05-31-2011, 11:28 AM
Last Post: jayne
  Failed Spinal Fusion at S1-Pelvis area brentaw 6 6,728 03-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Doctors get KICKBACKS for spinal fusion Implants... 1171 18 13,458 12-29-2010, 11:35 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Cost of 2 level spinal fusion in Illinois chicagoHdiscs 2 7,584 11-01-2010, 06:42 AM
Last Post: nursedina
  3 level fusion praders1 9 6,750 09-03-2010, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  At MMI-Illinois Claim-3 Level Spinal Fusion clipped wings 6 8,893 08-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Last Post: jayne
  3 level back fussion question highdesertguy 12 6,262 08-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  3 level laminectomy-diskectomy,recovery highdesertguy 2 7,335 03-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Last Post: 1171