Workers Compensation - Workmans Comp Service Center

Hello There, Guest! Register

Important Notice: We have deployed some new anti-spam measures that have enabled us to once again allow registration with a simple email verification. However, please do not hesitate to report suspected spam threads should they arise.

Spammers take note - your posts, if successful, will not last here. Our community is vigilant in identifying and reporting spam posts for IMMEDIATE removal. Don't waste your time!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recovery time/pain in stimulator implant
01-31-2008, 01:26 AM,
Wink  Recovery time/pain in stimulator implant
Hello everyone, I am wondering if those of you who have had the spine stimulator implanted, if you could answer a few questions.

1. During the trial procedure...what was the pain level like and how long did it last (aprx.)

2. For both the trial and the real implant procedure: what was the recovery period like and how long before you got back to what you were doing, prior to surgery?

Any info. would be helpful, I need to know if I am going to need help after the implant also how much time I will need to take off of work.

Thank you all.
01-31-2008, 08:04 AM,
RE: Recovery time/pain in stimulator implant
Spine Stimulator's are used to help with Nerves, some Pain issues, and healing. All of which there is no real time one could put on such issue. It is known, that they could help the healing in many cases. Never to say the least, it doesn't always mean pain decrease for the time right now. You just need to give them time is all, then wait and see the results.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.
01-31-2008, 12:28 PM,
RE: Recovery time/pain in stimulator implant
Ifoster21, as far as the trial period. ( My injury is L5-S1, with S1 nerve damage to the left leg. ). It was supposed to last 10 days. I had to incesions in the middle of the back. that is where the wires were put in. I had a few stiches on my left side. Those stiches were used to hold the external wires and connection block in place. I was able to do everything I did before except bath the way I was use to. You will need to keep the bandages ( middle back and left side ) dry. I also wore sweats during the trial period.

When I had the permenate one implanted, The bathing issue is still the same. You can not bend. The reason for that is because the skin on the inside needs to heal around the implant. I recall a few times when I bent over and felt the skin pull away from the implant. I no longer have that issue.

As far as the pain issue on the trial and the permanent. It was minimal. The issue I had with the trial was 1) the external wires. You may need to have some bandaids or tape to hold them in place if they are to long. 2) I had an allergic reaction to the dandages that the dr used. So I was replacing them daily. The problem with that was one night one of the wires came out. So I removed the other and cut the stiches so I could remove everything. When I went back to my dr. for the removale. The look on his face was priceless. LOL.

The trial was an outpatient procedure that took about 2 1/2 hours. You will need a driver. The permanet was an overnight stay in the hospital. I was up and walking around about 4 hours after I woke up. The only reason they kept me over night was for a second antibiotic IV. I received that the next morning and after the release paperwork was done I left.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. Jesus died for our sins. Soilders died for our freedom.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need advice on getting a spine stimulator implant tpm 12 1,534 08-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Last Post: tpm
  recovery time rickandsandy 3 1,334 11-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Last Post: Manley2
  Med recovery management Speedyro1970 2 1,942 08-22-2013, 08:52 PM
Last Post: Speedyro1970
  My Recovery after laser surgery darrinb 15 4,188 07-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Last Post: jayc123
  Want to take charge of my recovery Lostinsystem 1 1,469 02-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Spinal Cord Stimulator Cervical_Fusion 20 9,955 08-20-2011, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Manley2
  Implant rejection grumpyone 1 2,054 04-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  spinal cord stimulator backpainfla 13 9,101 11-09-2010, 09:25 AM
Last Post: backpainfla
  After settlement letter from WC recovery service badbehavior 4 6,617 09-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Last Post: 1171
  SCS-implant bronco54501 32 13,410 09-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Last Post: nursedina