Workers Compensation - Workmans Comp Service Center

Current time: 04-21-2015, 02:31 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Important Notice: We have deployed some new anti-spam measures that have enabled us to once again allow registration with a simple email verification. However, please do not hesitate to report suspected spam threads should they arise.

Spammers take note - your posts, if successful, will not last here. Our community is vigilant in identifying and reporting spam posts for IMMEDIATE removal. Don't waste your time!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bilateral Shouler Arthroscopies
01-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Bilateral Shouler Arthroscopies
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum but I am glad I found it. I am in the process of fighting WC and it is terribly frustrating.

First off, I live in Connecticut. I do have an attorney but it doesn't look good.

In the fall of 2005, I was moving heavy boxes of books and one fell faster than I anticipated. It pulled both of my arms downward. My shoulders hurt but I was a jock in school and thought "suck it up and get this done". I had a witness to when it happened as well.

Well about a month later, I was still in pain and it was becomming harder to type and mouse (I am a computer technician) at work.

I had told our union rep about what happened and he said that I should file for WC. I reported the incident to our nurse(I work in a school) who filled out the paperwork and forwarded it to the appropriate people. (My assumption of course because I didn't know anything about workmen's comp at the time).

Needless to say I get a phone call almost a year later from WC saying that they were going to deny the claim. I played phone tag with the WC person for almost a week. When I finally got a hold of her all I got was attitude.

She signed and dated the denial form 3 days after the 1 year time limit. That left me unable to file a form 30c. Again that was due to my ignorance and apparently everyone else at work as well.

Needless to say, I had the first surgery on my right shoulder in November of 2005. Torn Labrum, impingment syndrome, scraping of the AC joint and bursectomy. Out of work for 10 days, PT for 6 weeks.

Released to full duty. This past year, I went back to my Doctor again and would up with another surgery on my right shoulder, more tears in the labrum, small tear in the rotator cuff, more extensive scraping of the AC joint, and another bursectomy. This was in April of 2007. Out of work for 3 weeks.

In June of 2007, it was the left shoulder's turn. Torn labrum as well and a bursectomy and scrapping of the AC joint. Out of work for 3 weeks.

This December, the Doc took me out of work because shoveling and scraping my car bothered my shoulders. He kept me out for 3 weeks.

In the mean time, the WC lawyer gave me a deposition back in November, and then she had a medical meeting with my doc this month.

My lawyer came out saying that she was going to try to push everything back on the first injury that was denied. He sort of left me hanging there. He is going to see if there is a presidence (previous case) that he can look up to see which direction he can go.

They seem to be focusing on the fact that I waited a month before I was seen. I just want to be able to do my job the way I could before all of this but that is never going to happen again. I want to work, I hate being off work.

I am sorry this is so long!!!

Does anyone else on these boards have any suggestions as to what I can do? Has anyone else been through something like this? If so I would love to hear how you handled it.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-14-2008, 02:29 PM
RE: Bilateral Shouler Arthroscopies
Wanted to welcome you to the forum. I also worked for a school and was injured in the classroom.

Others will be on here to answer your questions.

Bummer Knees
01-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Welcome to the forum....i don't have a clue....so I'm bumping this up for you . Hopefully someone will have an answer.
LillySmile

Injured worker, & tired of it all! I'm too old for games!!

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!
01-15-2008, 02:14 PM
If you don't think you are getting proper legal representation or don't trust your atty you can look for another. there will be a single fee that will be split.
01-16-2008, 12:45 AM
lafatlife Wrote:Hello everyone. I am new to this forum but I am glad I found it. I am in the process of fighting WC and it is terribly frustrating.

First off, I live in Connecticut. I do have an attorney but it doesn't look good.

In the fall of 2005, I was moving heavy boxes of books and one fell faster than I anticipated. It pulled both of my arms downward. My shoulders hurt but I was a jock in school and thought "suck it up and get this done". I had a witness to when it happened as well.

Well about a month later, I was still in pain and it was becomming harder to type and mouse (I am a computer technician) at work.

I had told our union rep about what happened and he said that I should file for WC. I reported the incident to our nurse(I work in a school) who filled out the paperwork and forwarded it to the appropriate people. (My assumption of course because I didn't know anything about workmen's comp at the time).

Needless to say I get a phone call almost a year later from WC saying that they were going to deny the claim. I played phone tag with the WC person for almost a week. When I finally got a hold of her all I got was attitude.

She signed and dated the denial form 3 days after the 1 year time limit. That left me unable to file a form 30c. Again that was due to my ignorance and apparently everyone else at work as well.

Needless to say, I had the first surgery on my right shoulder in November of 2005. Torn Labrum, impingment syndrome, scraping of the AC joint and bursectomy. Out of work for 10 days, PT for 6 weeks.

Released to full duty. This past year, I went back to my Doctor again and would up with another surgery on my right shoulder, more tears in the labrum, small tear in the rotator cuff, more extensive scraping of the AC joint, and another bursectomy. This was in April of 2007. Out of work for 3 weeks.

In June of 2007, it was the left shoulder's turn. Torn labrum as well and a bursectomy and scrapping of the AC joint. Out of work for 3 weeks.

This December, the Doc took me out of work because shoveling and scraping my car bothered my shoulders. He kept me out for 3 weeks.

In the mean time, the WC lawyer gave me a deposition back in November, and then she had a medical meeting with my doc this month.

My lawyer came out saying that she was going to try to push everything back on the first injury that was denied. He sort of left me hanging there. He is going to see if there is a presidence (previous case) that he can look up to see which direction he can go.

They seem to be focusing on the fact that I waited a month before I was seen. I just want to be able to do my job the way I could before all of this but that is never going to happen again. I want to work, I hate being off work.

I am sorry this is so long!!!

Does anyone else on these boards have any suggestions as to what I can do? Has anyone else been through something like this? If so I would love to hear how you handled it.

Thanks.

Hi,
I am marginally confused but should be able to sort it out. Your claim is actually fairly common in the WC realm.

Your injury was in the Fall of 2005. You didnt file a 30C until over a year later? That is a big problem right there.

Has your employer paid for any of your medical treatment during that first year? Did you ever have a hearing in that 1st year? Those things would work to toll the statute of limitations.

You need to overcome that problem before anything else.

If you would like to speak with me, feel free to give me a call. My office is in West Hartford.

Jim

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  bilateral knee injuries at work and fired for leaving for a doctor appointment! unfairly fired 0 2,294 09-12-2012 01:44 AM
Last Post: unfairly fired
Question Bilateral Knee Injuries michuad25 27 11,509 07-27-2010 09:05 AM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  BILATERAL CARPEL TUNNEL msvirtualspirit 3 5,148 01-13-2010 05:58 PM
Last Post: 1171