Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Those negatively affected by Workers' Comp. Reform
I appears I will be the first to post a message on the "Injured Worker Forum." My husband sustained a knee injury while performing his job as an auto technician in 1999. He has endured several surgeries, the final being a total knee replacement. I can not tell you how devistating the Workers' Compensation "reform" act been on with regard to our family! It has allowed insurance companies to literally get away with murder! I wrote letter after letter to my representatives after my husband was cut off of any form of monetary compensation only to find they would not talk to me! It saddens me to know that so many injured workers have suffered horrible consequence after the implementation of this reform act, but it enrages me to know that some died and no one seems to care! I could go on and on, but I won't. I know there are many out there that can add their horror stories to this forum, and I hope they will as it is time for our lawmakers to face the facts!

Shy 
Danago201 Wrote:I appears I will be the first to post a message on the "Injured Worker Forum."  My husband sustained a knee injury while performing his job as an auto technician in 1999.  He has endured several surgeries, the final being a total knee replacement.  I can not tell you how devistating the Workers' Compensation "reform" act been on with regard to our family!  It has allowed insurance companies to literally get away with murder!  I wrote letter after letter to my representatives after my husband was cut off of any form of monetary compensation only to find they would not talk to me!  It saddens me to know that so many injured workers have suffered horrible consequence after the implementation of this reform act, but it enrages me to know that some died and no one seems to care!  I could go on and on, but I won't.  I know there are many out there that can add their horror stories to this forum, and I hope they will as it is time for our lawmakers to face the facts!

Okay I will try this again.

I worked as an Early CHildhood Teacher for 10 years. One day I was lifting a child from the floor and tore-up my knees. This was in 2005, I have had surgery on both knees need a knee replacement on my left knee and will need a knee replacement on my other knee in future years. Problem is the insurance company refuses to pay for the total knee replacement. I have gone from working full time to limited mobility and using a cane, and not due to my gait I now have back problems and it is nights of little sleep!

Danago201, how long did it take for your husband to get his replacement surgery after he was told he needed it?

Bummer Knees Wrote:Okay I will try this again.

I worked as an Early CHildhood Teacher for 10 years. One day I was lifting a child from the floor and tore-up my knees. This was in 2005, I have had surgery on both knees need a knee replacement on my left knee and will need a knee replacement on my other knee in future years. Problem is the insurance company refuses to pay for the total knee replacement. I have gone from working full time to limited mobility and using a cane, and not due to my gait I now have back problems and it is nights of little sleep!

Danago201, how long did it take for your husband to get his replacement surgery after he was told he needed it?

Dear Bummer Knees:

Prior to the "Reform" my husband was able to receive any treatment in a timely manner. He, like you has suffered a compensable condition to his right knee due to the realignment from the prior surgery. This occurred after the reforms set forth by the legislature. He has been denied treatment time and time again. In fact, after he attended court this past month, it was ordered that his treating physician be allowed to allocate specific treatment. Our atty, their atty, and my husband signed this stipulation. Well guess what, the MRI that has been requested twice now was once again denied! All I can say is the "reform" laws allowed this to happen and our lawmakers have spent the last several years looking the other way. I did receive a letter from the Department of Industrial Relations regarding prompt treatment. They offered to investigate instance where this is not happening. If you would like more contact information I would be happy to provide this.

Yes, I would like the contact information.

I have court next week and hope to findout if the judge says wc is responsible for my knee replacement. Within weeks after the meniscus surgery on that knee, I was told my knee wasn't tracking right, also had giving away at that point.

My local Legislator (a small business owner) introduced a bill limiting the rights of injuried worker. This bill became law earlier this year.
He is not a person that I can talk to.

Bummer Knees Wrote:Yes, I would like the contact information.

I have court next week and hope to findout if the judge says wc is responsible for my knee replacement.  Within weeks after the meniscus surgery on that knee, I was told my knee wasn't tracking right, also had giving away at that point.

My local Legislator (a small business owner) introduced a bill limiting the rights of injuried worker. This bill became law earlier this year.
He is not a person that I can talk to.

Dear Bummer Knees:
The letter I received came from:

Department of Industrial Relations, Division of Workers' Compensation
UR Complaints
P.O. Box 420603
San Francisco, CA 94142-0603

The letter explained, and I quote, "The changes in the regulations concerning care of injured workers have been intended to lead to prompt treatment, and the application of procedures that assure that treatment is provided which is appropriate for the needs of an individual patient and has been proven to be effective." They continue with, "If you wish, we will investigate whether, in your husband's case, the rules meant to assure timely care, and care that is in accord with medical science have not been followed."

The letter is signed by, Aminu-Dan Ibrahim, Nurse Consultant II, Medical Unit Utilization Review. They require documentation of treatment requests made by your doctors, and copies of any notices of denial of treatment sent to you in order to open an investigation.

I hope this helps, and good luck in Court!

Dana Luby

To Whom It May Concern:

I would also like to take this opportunity to supply information that is relevant to ALL INJURED WORKERS dealing with this system. I encourage all of you to read through pages 86-92 at this link:

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/DWCPropRegs/Ad...nscrip.PDF

This link takes you to transcripts regarding an administrative hearing held on June 29, 2006 in Oakland, CA. Carrie Nevans was present and was subjected to hours of testimony from injured workers, their doctors, attorney's and various groups representing injured workers.

After I read these transcripts I was treated to the knowledge that people have died due to insurance companies denial of treatment. I implore each of you to read these transcripts as they show that insurance companies have definately gained the upper hand with regard to treatment.

Dana Luby

Looking at the address for the complaint I doubt they would be able to do much if you complain about the reforms to the work comp systems in other states. I suspect this posting only refers to issues with california injured workers. Please correct me if I'm wrong as your original post is not state specific.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Workers Comp Violation? Floydmay22 2 364 11-17-2018, 05:14 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Built a map of workers comp. John_Richardson 0 284 10-01-2018, 12:43 PM
Last Post: John_Richardson
Sad Workers comp settlement amount help Jayal27 4 695 09-07-2018, 04:06 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Workers Comp. running out in Calif. C3d 3 725 08-20-2018, 01:11 AM
  IME report/Workers comp/employer debikayluo 6 6,969 06-07-2018, 10:13 AM
Last Post: tinainky
  NJ Workers Comp Question mcats 32 8,067 06-06-2018, 05:01 PM
  Workers Comp Adjuster (Arizona) 241050 9 1,380 05-20-2018, 12:07 PM
Shy Work related/induced stress & workers comp heartworkerNC 6 3,054 03-21-2018, 07:39 PM
  Workers Comp, BC/BS and Medicare wguage52 21 4,942 03-16-2018, 12:44 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Re injured myself (not the workers comp injury) 241050 3 1,296 03-10-2018, 12:45 AM