• Please excuse our dust
  • We are continuing the redesign of our forums
  • We'll get there eventually!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can I do this with permanent Nerve damage and Drop Foot
all right here we go ,my medical case manager said after these next 12 sessions of Therapy that I will probably have a FCE done ,I have many questions

1.how does the doc order a FCE on someone that is having to use a walking cane for assisitance ?
2. how does he order a FCE when you are having worse symptoms in your lower back than before ?
3. how can he order this FCE on someone that has permanent nerve damage in right leg below knee and you cant bend it without assistance from a walking cane and if you do you are going down if you know what I mean?
4.he keeps saying we need to get you to work,it sounds like to me he is not listening to my problems that I am still having after the surgeries and wants to get me back to work what do you think ?
I also need to mention I am in the MAINTENANCE filed a whole heck of a lot of bending ,stooping ,squatting ,crawling around and under and climbing ladders how do I do that..?
5. also how do I get this PM to order a MRI on me so they can see exactly whats going on ?
6. also I forgot to mention the foot drop how do I do a FCE test and by the way what the heck is a FCE test?

I really need a MRI can my Lawyer get me a petition for one thru the courts if the doctor wont give me one?

HI NUTPN,THE FCE TEST THAT YOU ARE REFERING TO IS A PHYSICAL TEST TO FIND OUT HOW MUCH RESIDUAL DIFFICULTS THAT YOU HAVE FROM YOUR INJURIES AND TO SEE WHAT YOUR FUNCTIONAL LOSSES WOULD BE AS FAR AS WORK AND DAILY LIVING...IT SHOULD TAKE ABOUT 4 HOURS TO COMPLETE AND THEY WILL HAVE YOU BENDING, SQUATTING,LIFTING,PUSHING,PULLING,ECT. TO SEE WHAT YOU ARE STILL ABLE TO DO AND NOT DO.IF THEY DO ORDER THIS TEST FOR YOU,TRY NOT TO TAKE YOUR PAIN MEDS BEFORE THE TEST SO THAT YOU MAY GIVE THEM AN ACCURATE RESULT,BUT TAKE THEM WITH YOU FOR AFTERWARDS.THE BEST THING TO DO IS JUST DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN SO THEY CAN GET AN ACCURATE RESULT...AS FAR AS THE MRI GOES,HAVE YOU HAD A SECOND OPINION WITH ANOTHER DOC,MAYBE THEY CAN ORDER ANOTHER MRI TO SEE WHATS GOING ON...I'M VERY SORRY TO HEAR THAT YOU ARE HAVING THESE PROBLEMS AND I ASSUME THAT YOUR INJURY IS TO YOUR BACK AS MINE IS,THIS IS JUST ANOTHER PART OF THE W/C GAME THAT WE HAVE TO PLAY,JUST DO YOUR BEST,THAT'S ALL THAT THEY CAN ASK FOR!!!!!!

TRUCKSTER is correct on explaining an FCE, I have the same similar Injuries than you, and had Two FCE's, and they both have shown Me at Sedentary with a Weight Limit of 5lbs. Mine also States No Bending, Lifting, Squatting, Setting for Long Periods, Walking for More than 5 Minutes, and the List goes on. Actually these FCE's have Helped to Prove My Case, and Solidify My Injury. If You Actually look at the Rules of the FCE, Sedentary is 10lbs., so I'm actually Less than Sedentary. Only do what You can, and don't Force Yourself and cause any Further Injuries. This could actually Become a good thing for You, just Be Careful!! Best of Luck!!Wink

The FCE itself isn't "supposed" to be a bad thing. It's "purpose" is to determine to level of permanent impairment so that your employability status can be determined. Information from the test can be used to help determine your disability or impairment rating if any and from there decisions can be made about voc rehab if it appears you won't be able to return to your previous occupation. On paper it's in our best interests. But then isn't everything Rolleyes

Couple things to remember, I agree with everyone else, don't take your pain meds before hand. You really can't give an accurate reading of the amount of pain an activity causes if you are currently using something to control the pain. And if it's a narcotic, you wouldn't be using those at work anyway would you? Second, absolutely no one would define for me what they meant by "do as much as you can". Did they mean until I couldn't physically do anymore or until it started to hurt? Because those were two different things. Since I couldn't get a straight answer I stopped when I got past what I would attempt in daily life. Admittedly I do a lot of things I really shouldn't. In retrospect, I should have stopped sooner but hindsight...20/20...all that.

Whatever you do, DO NOT TRY TO PUSH YOURSELF!! This is not physical therapy. It's not the time to be brave and try to push beyond your limits. It's not that you want to cheat the test or not give your best effort, not at all. It's critical you give them a TRUE picture of what you are and are not currently able to do. They can't force you to do anything and you have the right to and should refuse anything you feel is dangerous. The gray area is where to stop in terms of the amount of pain an activity causes. Only you know what you can tolerate. You have a right to stop the test if it's too much for you. Read all you can on FCEs before going. You'll find that not only will they be doing physical testing, they'll be looking for psychological clues as to whether you are giving it your full effort and that WILL end up in your report.

I did the best I could, actually more than I should have, was given higher restrictions than I agree with but have been told by two attorneys now that asking for another FCE might be a bad idea for me since my rating was actually quite high for an upper extremity injury in this state. Makes me wonder what would have happened if I'd really gone into this eyes wide open and educated about how to give them true, accurate results.

I have a copy of my FCE report right here. If you are interested in what mine was looking for you are welcome to pm me and I'll give you the highlights. Best of luck and don't worry too much. Since you are still having major problems, even though this is WC and things rarely go our way, hopefully, the FCE will show that and work in your favor.

(yes, I'm known to be long winded, sorry)

The FCE may have nothing to do with your rating. I had a total of four. The last one was done during the rating. The other three were to see what progress had been made. I agree with the thought of not taking meds. forehand. I would suggest that you do push yourself. If it is done properly they will be monitoring your pulse rate.

Just to let you know, after my first FCE. My Dr. ordered all the tests again. MRI w/without contast, myelogram, ct scan, and x-rays. Then I had another surgery.

If I had not pushed myself during the first one, I wonder how long it would have taken to get the tests done again? Just food for thought. As long as you are honest with yourself all should be good.

Take Care
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. Jesus died for our sins. Soilders died for our freedom.

The FCE was a tool to determine what you can and cannot do. If during the testing you feel that you need to take pain medication, you must tell the person who is examining you that you need medication...if you need to stop the test because you are in too much pain or just can't take it anymore...you need to tell them!
Babebahn..."Tongues don't have erasers"
Injured 1999 3 level anterior cervical fusion 2001
Settled Work Comp Case 2006 w/ Lifetime Medical Currently, C7-T1 is being watched will possibly need surgery front/back fusion from C3-T2, lower back needs another facet injection.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advise for workers comp claim. Only 20yrs old w/ damage to disc in lower back!! brandnew23 16 9,823 07-25-2015, 12:43 AM
Last Post: 2tired2care
  crushed foot jgray424 12 1,085 11-12-2014, 11:22 AM
Last Post: dusty boy
Wink Back injury from work 2011 now having nerve damage Rebecca 8 7,018 04-18-2014, 05:15 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Newibe with foot injury Rex_Temperis 1 1,849 06-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Last Post: 1171
  could this be nerve damage jayc123 3 1,845 10-29-2012, 05:19 AM
Last Post: jayc123
  injured workers in pain and WC mri showing no damage kristin0 18 15,620 09-30-2011, 09:04 AM
Last Post: LeglEgl
  Can I drop my attorney? Samsmom 2 2,396 07-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Samsmom
  drop lawyer combatcop 1 1,285 05-11-2011, 11:25 PM
Last Post: 1171
Sad Who Drop The Ball The Doctors Or W/C? WARNING IT'S A LITTLE LONG lefty 6 3,865 04-28-2011, 03:35 AM
Last Post: lefty
  If I drop my claim..... alagada1 2 4,851 11-15-2010, 05:13 PM
Last Post: shelkai246