Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adjuster requested IME
Good evening, I often read the forums here since I was injured last summer but I finally registered and this is my first post. I live in MA and had a discectomy surgery last year and a TLIF last April of L3 and 4. Ive been out of work since September of 2017. Multiple injections but nothing really helps, Recently had a EMG which showed neuropathy in the fused area, legs constantly in pain, Surgeon and pain management docs say it requires at least one year to see where we might be headed but failed back syndrome might be a real possibility but only time will tell.
Long story short my attorney put in for a wage increase claim and ever since then it kinda stirred the hornets nest. As soon as the request was put in the adjuster was changed and today I came home to a letter requesting a IME by the new adjuster. I know by reading these forums that this what the IC can do but i looked up the doctor the adjuster is sending me too and he has the worst possible rating on all the rating sites(web MD, health grades, etc ) and they all say the same thing terrible bed side manner and everyone claims he says everyone is ok to return to work after a 5min exam. I guess my question is knowing this info beforehand is there anything i can do to protect myself from this nonsense. i know some have mentioned video taping or recording or etc, Is this allowed in MA? Thanks for any suggestions or recommendations

If the reputation is deserved, then both the attys and the judge will know it and weigh that evidence accordingly. While the doctor maybe unknown to you, it is highly unlikely that experienced attys and judges don’t know how to handle that opinion. Sounds like the standard opening for settlement negotiations.
Talk to your patty. generally such actions do little to help the case. Leave the strategizing to your atty.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(01-08-2019, 12:12 AM)1171 Wrote: If the reputation is deserved, then both the attys and the judge will know it and weigh that evidence accordingly. While the doctor maybe unknown to you, it is highly unlikely that experienced attys and judges don’t know how to handle that opinion. Sounds like the standard opening for settlement negotiations.
Talk to your patty. generally such actions do little to help the case. Leave the strategizing to your atty.

Thanks for your input. What your saying makes sense. Wouldnt it be early to be considering settlement? I’m only asking because my surgeon keeps telling me these type of surgeries can take up to 2 years before we really know what I’ll be left with as far as function and it hasn’t even been a year since the second surgery.

You don’t know what the IME will say. Maybe they will be able to say what your residule function will be.
Most litigated cases are anxious to cash out; if you want something else make sure your atty knows now.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

My main concern is getting the treatment I need. Docs said its a possibility I may need future surgeries. Just trying to get back to being able to have some quality of life.
(01-08-2019, 12:48 AM)1171 Wrote: You don’t know what the IME will say. Maybe they will be able to say what your residule function will be.
Most litigated cases are anxious to cash out; if you want something else make sure your atty knows now.

Talk to your lawyer about settling the workers part only and keep medical open. This way, you'll be covered. If your IC is anything like mine, they love to deny procedures saying it's not medically necessary and you have to fight with them. But like I said, talk about keeping medical open.

My main concern is getting the treatment I need. Docs said its a possibility I may need future surgeries. Just trying to get back to being able to have some quality of life.

What if in 2-3years they fight a future surgery? Will your atty be there to help?
Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(01-08-2019, 02:27 PM)1171 Wrote: My main concern is getting the treatment I need. Docs said its a possibility I may need future surgeries. Just trying to get back to being able to have some quality of life.

What if in 2-3years they fight a future surgery? Will your atty be there to help?
Those are good questions I need to consider. I guess I might be overthinking things. Everything I read points to the fact that once an IME is scheduled everything after the report becomes a fight. I gues I just want to be informed as I possibly can with what to expect leading up to and after. Everyone is saying they are most likely looking to cut me off of benefit so I'm just nervous.

(01-08-2019, 09:55 PM)Innovation79 Wrote:
(01-08-2019, 02:27 PM)1171 Wrote: My main concern is getting the treatment I need. Docs said its a possibility I may need future surgeries. Just trying to get back to being able to have some quality of life.

Those are good questions I need to consider. I guess I might be overthinking things. Everything I read points to the fact that once an IME is scheduled everything after the report becomes a fight. I gues I just want to be informed as I possibly can with what to expect leading up to and after. Everyone is saying they are most likely looking to cut me off of benefit so I'm just nervous.

Carriers have found over the years that more settlements happen after benefits stop.
Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(01-09-2019, 12:02 AM)1171 Wrote:
(01-08-2019, 09:55 PM)Innovation79 Wrote: [quote='1171' pid='168690' dateline='1546972038']

Carriers have found over the years that more settlements happen after benefits stop.
[/quote

Just an update and new questions. So the ime went just as I thought it would. I was in the dr office for literally no more than 3 minutes(I timed it). All he did was have me sit and checked my reflexes and told me I was all done. My lawyer called me yesterday and said the ic is looking to reduce my benefits as the doctor said I could do some modified work. The day before the the ime I saw my treating physician who was concerned about issues I was having and ordered a few tests which the ic eventually denied but I ended up having done by my private insurance. After reviewing the the test results the doctor kept me on full restrictions.
I called my surgeons office today and told them about the ime and what my lawyer said. They were very upset and said under no circumstances am I allowed to return to any type of work until I’m re-evaluated in May which is the one year mark for my fusion. So my question is what do I do now? Obviously I’m going to follow my treating physicians orders but can they cut my benefits off?and will I lose my job if I refuse to return? I’m currently out on an ADA leave.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adjuster doesn't communicate with me. Tiberius 2 1,634 11-21-2016, 04:05 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  my adjuster changed my mpn ka107 2 1,403 07-18-2016, 03:04 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Need help in adjuster hell! lilrose 3 2,759 03-29-2016, 12:39 AM
Last Post: 1171
  Dealing with WC Adjuster and Lawyer/ GA corawilke 2 2,855 09-10-2014, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Scooter123
  workers comp adjuster marcoleman 12 15,064 11-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Last Post: marcoleman
  Adjuster says claim is closed AxedmyAtty 4 5,495 03-05-2012, 10:20 PM
Last Post: AxedmyAtty
  Is it ok to call claims adjuster itzadrianyo 12 18,995 02-21-2012, 01:53 AM
Last Post: Football71
  Adjuster claims to NOT KNOW I have an Attorney. inquiringMIND 5 6,198 12-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Last Post: inquiringMIND
Sad Do i HAVE to go to an IME if requested? (this is in Wisconsin) dobiqueenx2 24 19,898 09-20-2010, 06:08 PM
Last Post: bronco54501
  laminectomy- cancellation by adjuster highdesertguy 10 8,866 06-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Last Post: Footster