Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After QME
Good evening,

I was injured at work almost a year ago due to a spinal related injury called Syringomyelia.

I have undergone two MRIs, a nerve conduction procedure and dozens of doctors and PT appointments.

After six months the doctors declared me at MMI and over a month ago I had a QME.

I just got the report back and I have been given a percentage rating in the mid 20 percentage range and lifetime medical care. 100% being attributed to the injury at work.

1). My questions is how long should it take for my attorney to respond?
He seems like a nice guy but it's very hard to get a hold of him. Should I call to see how things are going? I don't want to be a pest but then again this is a life changing event for me.

2). What kind of compensation should I expect? let's say I was making close to $100k a year. I have no idea how the calculations work so I am curious if anyone can give me a rough estimate.

Thank you in advance,

David in California

Generally There is no time limit or rush to do anything.
Medical Benefits should continue.
Have you returned to work?
Have permanent diasability advances been started?
Both sides need time to decide if they agree with the rating.
Are here other issues?
How do you want to finalize the claim?
There are still too many variables to guess on a final PD amount.
You might benefit from reviewing the PD fact sheet.
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/iwguides.html

You might want to learn a bit more about the benefits and your options so you have good questions when you do talk to your atty.
"Footer/signature" used in all my posts:
........Each state has their own comp system. We need to know which state the claim was filed in to provide accurate information.........

Hello,

Unfortunately my employer would not let me return to work because of the extent of my injuries stating I would be a burden to the business. It's a large corporation and they placed me on reasonable accommodation which led to nothing and ended a month ago, I am now waiting for my separation of employment notice in the mail.

I have been receiving permanent disability advances.

There are not any other issues that I am aware of outside of my work related injury.

I am not sure about your question "how do you want to finalize the claim"?

Thank you so much!

David in California

(05-08-2018, 08:44 PM)1171 Wrote: Generally There is no time limit or rush to do anything.
Are here other issues?

You might want to learn a bit more about the benefits and your options so you have good questions when you do talk to your atty.

You and the carrier can agree to the final PD rating and keep your future medical benefits and a chance to reopen if the disability gets worse.
You can try to negotiate a lumpsum buyout of all future benefits ( compromise & release).
........Each state has their own comp system. We need to know which state the claim was filed in to provide accurate information.........

Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it!

I have one final question, I have been home now for almost a year and I was planning before my injury on seeing a relative overseas, is it ok to travel?

(05-08-2018, 09:04 PM)1171 Wrote: You and the carrier can agree to the final PD rating and keep your future medical benefits and a chance to reopen if the disability gets worse.
You can try to negotiate a lumpsum buyout of all future benefits ( compromise & release).

Comp rules don,t restrict travel. Talk to your doctor and don't neglect necessary treatment.
Any aggravation of your condition won't be covered by comp.

(05-08-2018, 09:00 PM)davidincalifornia Wrote: Hello,

Unfortunately my employer would not let me return to work because of the extent of my injuries stating I would be a burden to the business. It's a large corporation and they placed me on reasonable accommodation which led to nothing and ended a month ago, I am now waiting for my separation of employment notice in the mail.

I have been receiving permanent disability advances.

There are not any other issues that I am aware of outside of my work related injury.

I am not sure about your question "how do you want to finalize the claim"?

Thank you so much!

David in California

(05-08-2018, 08:44 PM)1171 Wrote: Generally There is no time limit or rush to do anything.
Are here other issues?

you should look and read phoenix eocc vs american airlines google it,look to see if aplied to youalso I will suggest go to your local eocc office and talk with one of their investigator.

(05-11-2018, 09:34 PM)path62 Wrote: you should look and read phoenix eocc vs american airlines google it,look to see if aplied to youalso I will suggest go to your local eocc office and talk with one of their investigator.

I agree.

This is some info about returning to work after an injury, ADA laws etc.

http://www.workerscompensation.com/forum...?tid=15114
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

http://celavoice.org/2013/10/03/employer...ities-act/

This one especially.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.