Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hip Injury in Wisconsin
I was reaching down to the floor to fit a orthopedic brace on a fella, he was 500 lbs and could not use the lift chair, and felt a searing pain in my hip. I continued to see my patient and felt similar pain and the patient was aware I injured my hip.

So I discussed it with my supervisor it was not getting better that same week and he told me to file work comp claim. My 10 visits of therapy have been covered the doctors visits, the MRI with contrast and cortisone all covered
showed a large labral tear and some significant DJD(I have been reaching to the floor fitting braces at this job for 17 years I am 58 years old) but never reported any type of previous injury. Doctor feels total hip is the only answer Liberty Mutual now wants an IME.

My employer did not follow W/C guidelines and used PTO for the 12 days I was off work(every Wednesday for 3 months to rest my hip and get therapy) and dodged my requests to stop taking my PTO but upon my continued persistance LM will now pay me 66 2/3 of my lost wages once I pay them back for my PTO they used, check is in the mail.

Considering the claim is accepted at this point, what will the IME determine? My doctor has said it is work related. U can imagine I have lost faith in my employer and the IME looking out for my interests the way they handled my lost wages. Can I expect the IME to give an unbiased opinion and any suggestions about the IME? Thanks Hip now is a constant 3-4 with activity I am trying to keep working with my doctors restrictions on bending.

I can only guess at what instructions the IME will be given or what reason the Carrier sought a second pinion.
They may want an opinion as to whether your medical condition is consistent with the mechanism of injury you described. THey may what to know if the recommended treatment is the appropriate care for the injury.
Second opinions are regularly used when dealing with serious medical conditions.
The IME opinion will be totally independent of your doctors opinion. It will be from a doctor they trust and probably use regularly. Whether the lME is any more biased then your  physcian is unknown.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Wisconsin. Surgery in April doc is so backed up.

Aren't IME's payed to side on the payor.

on accepted claims all docs are paid by the carrier/employer.
they can't make stuff up.
to be persuasive and credible, a medical opinion has to be reasonably based on facts, patient history, established medical and scientific studies and supported by findings.
Either side can jump to incredible and unsupported opinions.
its very common and helpful for doctors to disagree; medicine is not an exact science. Different points of view can lead to better outcomes. Bias and subjectivity resides on both sides of an issue.
contrary medical evidence can decided by a comp court.

at any time, you can obtain medical opinion or treatment at your own expense.

It sounds like you've already decided the first doctor you saw has got it right and the IME is going to be wrong.
Unless you have a long and successful history with this doctor, Jumping into a serious surgery might be considered a bit premature.
You might want to keep a bit of an open mind and not be as biased as you believe the I M E will be.
Wait and see, they may give you some options to consider.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(12-10-2017, 10:10 PM)1171 Wrote: on accepted claims all docs are paid by the carrier/employer.
they can't make stuff up.
to be persuasive and credible, a medical opinion has to be reasonably based on facts, patient history, established medical and scientific studies and supported by findings.
Either side can jump to incredible and unsupported opinions.
its very common and helpful for doctors to disagree; medicine is not an exact science. Different points of view can lead to better outcomes. Bias and subjectivity resides on both sides of an issue.
contrary medical evidence can decided by a comp court.

at any time, you can obtain medical opinion or treatment at your own expense.

It sounds like you've already decided the first doctor you saw has got it right and the IME is going to be wrong.
Unless you have a long and successful history with this doctor, Jumping into a serious surgery might be considered a bit premature.
You might want to keep a bit of an open mind and not be as biased as you believe the I M E will be.
Wait and see, they may give you some options to consider.

Thanks good advice to not get so jaded by so many others, even my wife views who is an RN case manager and sees how the system can work but also sees alot of misuse of work comp. Yes an open mind to this is a good suggestion, thanks. IME scheduled mid Jan.
My doc does not want to do surgery unless he has to and I am willing to give up skiing hiking as I am getting old at 58 but thats young for a TKA. The Curcumin doc's suggested has been helping alot when I need it ya need to take 1500 mg's every 5 hours, he talked to me about getting PRP prolozone injections(he does not do them) said no real side effects if it does not work(stashed a bunch of cash on flex spending to do this first of the year). WC said no way they will pay for it then the shuffle to an IME.

My doc is backed out 7 months, till mid april when I saw him and scheduled surgery in early October figured better get on the schedule for the first available surgery in April if I need it them. Weight loss is helping as he suggested a no low carb antiinflam diet also. His daughter who assists in surgery has a liscense in hollistic medicine been helpful with consults. Thanks again hope I don't get a ringer of an IME but maybe a good second opinion.

The lawyers I talked to said U don't need me if the IME sides in the favor of your injury, but don't expect it they may be nice to you but are not your friend(again don't be jaded)

doc works in a small independent hospital outside a mid sized city but am told by the registrations gal people fly in from all over the country thats why he is so backed up I guess. Any other reason he is so backed up ya think?

Check out your doctors here
https://projects.propublica.org/docdollars/
Many doctors take money to use promote sponsored products /drugs.
As far. As scheduling practices of a particular doctor , I haven't a clue.
It could be access to hospital, could be personal choice, could be availability of other services (assistant surgeon,op nurses, anesthetist ,etc)
Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Nice link I worked with a bunch of those doctors Dr. Graf 2 million from medical companies, Dr. Malone 350k., the spine docs at UW 6-700 k eyeopening.

So IME is an orthopedic surgeon, I can't find any informations on where he does surgery, or his name on internet for curriculum vitae. I wonder if he is a chiropractor also the appointment is at a chiropractic office?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wisconsin, dr.'s release question Xiabei 2 2,704 10-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Xiabei
  Wisconsin IME GODS Redstone 5 5,270 12-30-2010, 12:42 AM
Last Post: Redstone
Sad Do i HAVE to go to an IME if requested? (this is in Wisconsin) dobiqueenx2 24 18,731 09-20-2010, 06:08 PM
Last Post: bronco54501
  Wisconsin JenWI 2 2,892 05-26-2010, 08:26 PM
Last Post: bronco54501
  Injured then fired in wisconsin ogdoa 4 6,512 12-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Last Post: kate
  Wisconsin Police Officer disability concern copcricket 7 7,171 06-12-2008, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Lilly
  Wisconsin Firefighter Injury ffemtb-wi 8 5,067 01-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Last Post: 1171