Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disability Rating question -lumbar spine 57%
I live in Connecticut.
My injury was all the way back in 1997.
I had a disectomy in 1998 that resulted in a 17% disability rating.
I went back to work.
In 2002, the governor of this state, decided to try and run state employees out, rather then lay us off. If you're vested, you get your pension. During this I was treating with pain management and getting additional conservative treatment as I had bursitis issues and S-I joint syndrome. I was moved to an all lifting group home, against the neurosurgeons restriction note. Then I was re-injured, and put off duty.
The governor was nailed with a class action lawsuit from SEIU. He went to jail. :-) 
I negotiated disability retirement, and resigned in 2004, as did many others.
2 people commit suicide, they rode them so hard.
Time goes on, radio frequency, osteopath, drugs, injections, finally, artificial discs come into play.
New MRI that shows I now have scoliosis! 
I get 2 artificial discs implanted in January 2016, and fused from S-1-L4-5 via 360 fusion.
They repaired a cerebrospinal dural tear that resulted in foot drop.
8 months post op he finally orders an MRI. (I was pain free for 3 months)
MRI shows the levels above are herniated but the scoliosis is fixed thanks to a plate.
For some reason, I cannot walk more then 1 house length before my left leg gets heavy and it just locks up.
I cannot push down on the pedal of a bike, with my left leg, even on a flat road.

XLIF surgery March 27, 2017, to correct L3-4 (approved through an RME exam) I survived it. :-) 
XLIF, sucks big time....retracting your psoas muscle from your facia disrupts your psoas muscle and it is huge.
The scar area feels like a million bees are stinging me, and this started in the 5th month post op!
He ordered me 5% LIDOCAINE patches that I cut in half and stick to each side of the scar. 
The foot drop is said to be permanent as is my heavy, dead left thigh.

Beginning of June 2017. I wake up and my left shoulder starts to drop forward and I have no control over this. I feel my spine shift. I know something happened.
I finally get him to order a bone spect, and an MRI with and without contrast in August 2017.
He fails to disclose to me that he also took out the plate he put in during the first 360 fusion. 
I found out by getting my surgery records. (WC people can get them for free)
I now have Thoracolumbar scoliosis and have no idea why, because he never spoke of removing the plate that stabilized the scoliosis.
I read he cut down my low back and ask him why he removed hardware?
He denies doing this. I would have had to cut you open in the front again.
I shove the SURGERY NOTES open to that page and ask, why did we never discuss this?
"I took out a plate" he finally confesses......and now I HAVE THORACOLUMBAR scoliosis!
He gave me an additional 40% disability on top of the 17% I already have.

What does a 57% lumbar spine disability rating mean for the TTD checks?
I obviously cannot work. I am scared and depressed.

Luckily, my claim adjuster hates this neurosurgeon. She allowed me to pick another surgeon, without a hearing!
I called my primary care doctor. Together we picked an orthopedic surgeon with 148 5 star reviews, who specializes in scoliosis and those who have problems with their leg post spinal fusion.

Let this also be a lesson to those with back injuries. I NEVER had scoliosis ever in my life and it is now connected to my 1997 L4-5 original injury. Do not let any attorney talk you into stiping out a back injury IF you needed to have surgery. These last 2 surgeries were well over $100,000.00 each, not counting the price of the artificial discs, that are about $75,000.00 a piece.

Thanks to anyone who has ever had thoracolumbar scoliosis, and can comment, and also to anyone who knows what happens with the additional checks, I received during the surgeries.
Obviously I am still treating. They got me in for tomorrow?
Less then 5 days and I got my claim adjuster to call and get me in asap.
They are not all that bad.
I can call a claim adjuster faster then any attorney.
[color=#181818][size=small][font=Merriweather, Georgia, serif]The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively~[/font][/size][/color]

Wow! Reading your post made my body hurt all over with sympathy pain. Good luck tomorrow! Hope all goes well! What a dirty, dirty doctor to have taken that plate out in the first place. All of this agony from going to work and doing your job. Good for you for staying on top of it and knowing when things were going sideways.

They are not likely going to give you total disability on a partial disability rating.
If you are totally disabled, you'll need medical evidence to refute the current rating.
Appears you are no longer TTD
I assume the new rating will be on your re-injury wages.
If you have an atty, you should discuss what the probable outcome of your benefit payments will be so you can plan accordingly.
Get a referral from yourdoctor for the depression; it rarely gets better without professional help.
It is the body's natural reaction to presence of constant pain; it's trying to self heal.
As long as you are in serious pain the body will continually try to withdraw from ativities; its programmed to shut down and go into a healing/ sleep state - ----e.g.  Halfsleep or depression.
It is immune to self- help/treatment and won't get better over time; professional counseling pain mgmt will work.p
"Footer/signature" used in all my posts:
........Each state has their own comp system. We need to know your state to provide accurate information.........

I would ask your new surgeon is removing the plate had anything to do with your current condition. If you were fused hardware can often times be removed as it has been described as a cast. Asking another doctor may provide some answers. I had screws and rods removed and it made me feel a bit better.

My doctor told me it is common for shoulder to curve inward after lumbar fusion as it can throw off your entire back, but I recommend asking your new doctor about your situation. There are exercises you can do to counteract this if your doctor feels it is appropriate for you.

Spinal fusions can destabilize above and below the level of fusion and can throw off your back. It is very common for patients to need multiple surgeries on discs above and below, but data has shown it often times does not improve pain.

Can I ask if these surgeries helped you or harmed you more? Would you do them all over again if you had the choice? I had a 360 lumbar fusion and not only did it make my pain worse, the level above it became unstable and I am told I need another fusion. I am most likely not doing it as my results from the first one were poor.

$75,000. for one artificial disc sounds extremely high. I recommend checking any surgeons on the website "propublica dollars for docs" . There you can see if he takes monies from certain spine manufacturers.
https://projects.propublica.org/docdollars/

It is also a good idea to get the implant information product and product codes before you have surgery and look it up on the FDA website to check for adverse events (JMHO). All medical devices are not the same and some have huge problems. Newer devices take a few years before adverse events start to show up and why I advocate against being implanted with a new device. Most spinal implants are cleared by the FDA under their 510K process, meaning the manufacturer lists other devices it is similar to that have already been cleared. So basically there is no testing or clinical trials being done and the first patients implanted are the guinea pigs.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Thanks for all the feedback. I had the appointment with the orthopedic surgeon today. He does not thinks additional surgery would help me. I was hoping for feedback on keeping me from getting worse, but that never came.

He told me to "join a gym and go get sweaty". I asked is there anything I should not do, or should someone give me some direction to start off?  No response.
He did not ask what I am doing already.  I am using 5 lbs weights and doing some stretching. When I do this, it exacerbates the pain in between my shoulder blades. I still try to walk, but its not improving and its freezing out.

I got permission from my neurosurgeon, to fly 6 months post op and was granted permission to go to Jamaica (during winter) so I could spend a month doing aqua therapy every single day. (He was fine with this as long as I was paying for the aqua therapy myself) I did that after both fusions,  and it did not make any difference. I am not being lazy or having a pity party. I PAID for flights to water because WC is too cheap to pay for aqua therapy or a membership to any pool. If that is not trying I do not know what is.
Gym pools only allow you to swim laps unless you take a specific class. 

Orthopedic guy thinks physical therapy is a waste of time, but condones me going to a gym alone and figuring it out?
That's rich.

He said nothing about the plate being removed.
He said nothing when I told him I reached a plateau on walking. I am still stuck at 2 house lengths, then I have to stop.
The only thing he said, was he would order an EMG test for my left leg.
I said, maybe a revolver and a bottle of scotch would be cheapest?  :-)  I could not curb my sarcasm after his verbal beating. (1 common denominator is, they ALL want to save WC $$$)

He acted like 2 discs collapsing on top of each other (L4-5) is something that did NOT need surgery to begin with.
"Its all in your mind".  
:-(  
Weird my neurosurgeon would implant artificial discs in me if I never needed them.
I was sent to am RME (required medical exam) and that neurosurgeon said I NEEDED another surgery to correct the deformity and herniated L-3. He looked at the exact same CD's pf MRI, Bone spect, CT scan.
My back is more stable since the surgeries even though I have new pain from a different condition.

He is an orthopedic surgeon and I had been dealing with neurosurgeons.
Apparently, they are like day and night.

He also stated that WC is NOT going to pay for you to go to rehab to get off oxycodone, and for me to just "do it yourself". I told him I tried already, went 3 days without it, but the suffering was so scary I fell back. 
He acts like I did it to myself when PAIN MANAGEMENT used it for treatment for 15 years on me.
I got down to 10MGS BID by using the CT medical marijuana program. I was on 120MGS. They never  say a positive word when you make them know, medical mj (vaping and CBD spray) is why I was able to get down to just the 10MGS. 
If you refuse ANY medical treatment, WC then is allowed to say you are refusing medical treatment and cut you off.
Its a lose-lose situation.
A WC attorney already told me, that when you want to get off oxycodone, you call for a hearing, and they will send you to Dr Kaplan at GAYLORD hospital in Wallingford, CT. HE then refers you to a place in Florida. I did not tell this to the orthopedic guy, because he was so convinced he was right, it was not worth arguing over it.

I left teary, frustrated, and like I left a trial in a court room.
I am not imagining the pain in between my shoulder blades, or on the side of the scoliosis curve & L-2 now protruding onto a nerve root. The bee sting sensation was also brushed off and he could not tell me when or if it would ever go away. I wear (3) 5% LIDOCAINE patches all day, every day to fight that excruciating NEW sensation nobody said happens after XLIF surgery. (Psoas & facia are disturbed) = NOT GOOD. 
*XLIF should be avoided if you ask me! WORST of all surgeries as far as after-effects that last way too long.

My pain management doctor already ordered PT for me and that starts tomorrow, and I am going!
When you hit rock bottom, there is no place to go but up.
:-) 

I appreciate the feedback and give thanks for the time you all took to respond.
Have a great day~
[color=#181818][size=small][font=Merriweather, Georgia, serif]The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively~[/font][/size][/color]

(12-04-2017, 07:17 PM)California_Help Wrote: I would ask your new surgeon is removing the plate had anything to do with your current condition. If you were fused hardware can often times be removed as it has been described as a cast. Asking another doctor may provide some answers. I had screws and rods removed and it made me feel a bit better.

My doctor told me it is common for shoulder to curve inward after lumbar fusion as it can throw off your entire back, but I recommend asking your new doctor about your situation. There are exercises you can do to counteract this if your doctor feels it is appropriate for you.

Spinal fusions can destabilize above and below the level of fusion and can throw off your back. It is very common for patients to need multiple surgeries on discs above and below, but data has shown it often times does not improve pain.

Can I ask if these surgeries helped you or harmed you more? Would you do them all over again if you had the choice? I had a 360 lumbar fusion and not only did it make my pain worse, the level above it became unstable and I am told I need another fusion. I am most likely not doing it as my results from the first one were poor.

$75,000. for one artificial disc sounds extremely high. I recommend checking any surgeons on the website "propublica dollars for docs" . There you can see if he takes monies from certain spine manufacturers.

It is also a good idea to get the implant information product and product codes before you have surgery and look it up on the FDA website to check for adverse events (JMHO). All medical devices are not the same and some have huge problems. Newer devices take a few years before adverse events start to show up and why I advocate against being implanted with a new device. Most spinal implants are cleared by the FDA under their 510K process, meaning the manufacturer lists other devices it is similar to that have already been cleared. So basically there is no testing or clinical trials being done and the first patients implanted are the guinea pigs.

I LOVE that link you post about doctors "kickbacks". I lost it after you posted it awhile back. Now I see why he was pushing Oxycontin instead of the 5% Lidocaine patches I wanted to use instead.
Would I have the surgeries again? I would have ANY surgery if your discs are collapsed EXCEPT for the XLIF. Messing with your psoas and fascia is not a good idea, imo. Tell this to an osteopath and they may gasp at the thought of retracting them to access your spine. I wish I picked the neurosurgeon that did my 4 level acdf but I figured he was not on the WC provider list. (he was) I believe the outcome could have been better. I waited until I was just about crawling. Not sure if that is even a good idea. Waiting until you;re too bad may be why most of us fail. Catching it early and using the less invasive approach would "seem" to be the better way to go.
THANK YOU for always responding. I am so grateful and happy to see that YOU commented about my situation. I needed a dose of kindness and you do not get that from any surgeon.
 Wishing you all the best.

(12-05-2017, 03:47 PM)RootsGal Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 07:17 PM)California_Help Wrote: I would ask your new surgeon is removing the plate had anything to do with your current condition. If you were fused hardware can often times be removed as it has been described as a cast. Asking another doctor may provide some answers. I had screws and rods removed and it made me feel a bit better.

I LOVE that link you post about doctors "kickbacks". I lost it after you posted it awhile back. Now I see why he was pushing Oxycontin instead of the 5% Lidocaine patches I wanted to use instead.
Would I have the surgeries again? I would have ANY surgery if your discs are collapsed EXCEPT for the XLIF. Messing with your psoas and fascia is not a good idea, imo. Tell this to an osteopath and they may gasp at the thought of retracting them to access your spine. I wish I picked the neurosurgeon that did my 4 level acdf but I figured he was not on the WC provider list. (he was) I believe the outcome could have been better. I waited until I was just about crawling. Not sure if that is even a good idea. Waiting until you;re too bad may be why most of us fail. Catching it early and using the less invasive approach would "seem" to be the better way to go.
THANK YOU for always responding. I am so grateful and happy to see that YOU commented about my situation. I needed a dose of kindness and you do not get that from any surgeon.
I wish you the best too.

I agree with having a neurosurgeon of the spine give an opinion. They appear to take the least evasive approach. I was told 360 fusions are out of date, extremely dangerous and should only be done in certain situations, for example auto accidents. They often times are billed at twice the cost and they are more of a money maker for orho surgeons. Many doctors believe most spinal fusions are not necessary, have short term benefits and they result in additional damage to the rest of the spine. I have no idea what your situation is. I am so much worse than I was before my fusion, so I may be biased.

What has helped me is eating healthy, maintaining a healthy weight and doing very simple exercises to help with core that were approved by my doctor. I know it can be very difficult to maintain a healthy weight when you are less active, in pain and have sleep problems and possible depression. I had to change my entire diet and cut my calories almost in half. I also try to avoid eating so much sugar as it can cause more inflammation.

I do not understand your doctor giving you oxytocin vs what you asked for lidocaine patients, which are not addictive and so much healthier for your body.

It sounds like you have been through the ringer with your injuries and surgeries. I hope things will improve for you and things improve in time. Stay strong.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

(12-06-2017, 02:49 PM)California_Help Wrote:

I wish you the best too.

I agree with having a neurosurgeon of the spine give an opinion. They appear to take the least evasive approach. I was told 360 fusions are out of date, extremely dangerous and should only be done in certain situations, for example auto accidents. They often times are billed at twice the cost and they are more of a money maker for orho surgeons. Many doctors believe most spinal fusions are not necessary, have short term benefits and they result in additional damage to the rest of the spine. I have no idea what your situation is. I am so much worse than I was before my fusion, so I may be biased.

What has helped me is eating healthy, maintaining a healthy weight and doing very simple exercises to help with core that were approved by my doctor. I know it can be very difficult to maintain a healthy weight when you are less active, in pain and have sleep problems and possible depression. I had to change my entire diet and cut my calories almost in half. I also try to avoid eating so much sugar as it can cause more inflammation.

I do not understand your doctor giving you oxytocin vs what you asked for lidocaine patients, which are not addictive and so much healthier for your body.

It sounds like you have been through the ringer with your injuries and surgeries. I hope things will improve for you and things improve in time. Stay strong.

Today was a better day. I started physical therapy at the referral of the pain management clinic I go to. I told him about yesterday, and how rude the orthopedic surgeon was, so he was the opposite. 
I really should have started therapy 3 months post op. 
Nobody will say why the plate was removed or if if it had any impact of me now having thoracolumbar scoliosis.
Apparently, it is not that bad so I do not have to have any more surgery. I am elated about that!
The XLIF is why I continue to have psoas pain. There is a medical term he used today to describe what happened to be and why I have soreness still and bee sting sensations. It may never go away.
My drop foot is very annoying as I catch my toes on the sidewalk, like today. I almost fell flat on my face.
The PT guy saw the gouge in my boot from that.

I called the neurosurgeon who did both surgeries to remind them, I need the 40% rating mailed to my house.
They said its happening. (I already have 17% from 1999) 
CT just passed a new WC law where the permanency rating cannot be more then 8%.
They cannot use it retroactively. It began this year for new injured humans.
Imagine getting only 8% after a multi level fusion?

BTW: I eat healthy when I eat. I am a size 6 down from a 10.
I lost 8 more pounds this month. Being overweight is not an issue.
I try every day to get stronger and now this PT person is going to help me get my core stronger.
Have a great night and week and talk to you again!

Please post a link to change in the law you referred to.
The 2017 statutes contain provisions for total disability and the rating schedule remains with no reference to limitation you posted. None of the legal resources reference such a change e.g. Lexis-Nexis, Larson's, this site, or the state work comp site., etc.
http://wcc.state.ct.us/download/acrobat/...atutes.pdf
https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/aearchives/20...ective.asp

I remain very skeptical of what you posted about the law change until you verify your post. Comp is easy to get confused about and we wouldn't want to lead workers astray....
"Footer/signature" used in all my posts:
........Each state has their own comp system. We need to know your state to provide accurate information.........

(12-06-2017, 09:12 PM)RootsGal Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 02:49 PM)California_Help Wrote:

I wish you the best too.

Today was a better day. I started physical therapy at the referral of the pain management clinic I go to. I told him about yesterday, and how rude the orthopedic surgeon was, so he was the opposite. 
I really should have started therapy 3 months post op. 
Nobody will say why the plate was removed or if if it had any impact of me now having thoracolumbar scoliosis.
Apparently, it is not that bad so I do not have to have any more surgery. I am elated about that!
The XLIF is why I continue to have psoas pain. There is a medical term he used today to describe what happened to be and why I have soreness still and bee sting sensations. It may never go away.
My drop foot is very annoying as I catch my toes on the sidewalk, like today. I almost fell flat on my face.
The PT guy saw the gouge in my boot from that.

I called the neurosurgeon who did both surgeries to remind them, I need the 40% rating mailed to my house.
They said its happening. (I already have 17% from 1999) 
CT just passed a new WC law where the permanency rating cannot be more then 8%.
They cannot use it retroactively. It began this year for new injured humans.
Imagine getting only 8% after a multi level fusion?

BTW: I eat healthy when I eat. I am a size 6 down from a 10.
I lost 8 more pounds this month. Being overweight is not an issue.
I try every day to get stronger and now this PT person is going to help me get my core stronger.
Have a great night and week and talk to you again!
It sounds like you are doing everything you can to improve your situation.

I only mention the weight because it helps take off pressure on your spine, but weight your weight is low and a non issue.

It is good you are having PT as not having guidance to correct exercises can cause reinjury.

Best to you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Permanent disability rating and settlement jennifernd 11 48,824 12-04-2017, 09:42 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Cervical spine injury question Bummer Knees 44 31,130 11-02-2017, 06:27 PM
Last Post: bugmann
  Second Surgery (Cervical Spine) smith.daniel@centurylink.net 7 914 10-18-2017, 08:51 PM
  When will I be given a disability rating? Kaii23 1 430 09-02-2017, 10:37 AM
  Cervical Spine second surgery (What to expect?) smith.daniel@centurylink.net 2 265 07-30-2017, 11:17 AM
Last Post: California_Help
  P&S with restrictions but no disability rating. What? 1 Hurt nurse 94 12,276 05-31-2017, 09:07 PM
  North Carolina impairment rating and settlement question Joshlw 3 991 03-30-2017, 02:15 PM
  Question about whole body rating conversion in Connecticut Linic0228 1 382 03-23-2017, 09:17 PM
  QME on 10/25 for plantar fascia and lumbar spine injury jarimiah 10 2,136 10-29-2016, 11:02 PM
  C and R, then need lumbar surgery -is private insurance strict? kmecdd 2 1,382 08-12-2016, 10:48 PM