Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brain Injuries and WC
Toungue 
Hello all, still a newbie to this forum from Ohio. Also wish I had found it earlier on my journey. Anyone on here who’s been in the WC system awhile with a TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury)? I feel like I am going to be trapped in this system forever and it’s sucking my soul out. It’s been over a year, I cannot work now and will not likely be able to anytime in the foreseeable future. I know you’ve all been through it, those that have been around, and I am preaching to the choir. It’s the point where every case I win, the Atty. General’s office appeals. (Yes, opposing counsel is the State AG’s office. But they aren’t very good.) it’s just delay tactics, but it keeps me from getting the treatment I need to have a better quality of life.

Oh I guess this turned into a rant. My apologies! Point is, with a TBI, needing long term medical, I don’t see how I will ever get out. My attorney obviously doesn’t recommend settlement anytime soon. Any suggestions from the pros?

Sounds like you have a complicated case.
I,m not sure I can offer any information that your atty hasn't.
Generally a health insurer will provide treated denied by comp.
i don,t know enough about your claim/issues and prior settlement attempts to offer any meaningful strategies.
Of course you can get out any time, you are not a hostage.
But it's about the $$ you need to get from it.
$$ for treatment and $$ to live on. None us can get free from the need for some money; that traps us all.
Developing other sources of assistance will make you less dependent on the work comp process.

Look for support groups in your community. Many hospitals and rehab centers would know what groups are out there. They can give you a broader goal then just trying to win at the workers claim process.
Use federal assistance (SSDI,) your state and county social services, your church and any local service groups/organizations.
Signature/Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information.........

Thank you for the feedback 1171. It’s probably way too early to settle. We’re in the midst of having quite a few hearings over allowances for treatments and conditions, and they are cycling through the process.
There haven’t been any settlement offers, but my last physical the physician said I was no where near MMI.

Brief history, I was punched by a patient at the State psych hospital I was a nurse at. Likely due to the fact I am on a blood thinner, it rung my bell hard. I sustained a concussion. Fast forward to today, I have pretty severe PCS symptoms, severe cognitive issues, all the vision issues one could ever want, and all the other fun stuff- headaches, etc.

Anyway, thanks again for the ideas on other alternatives.

The type injury you suffered could also be exacerbating the stress and strain of dealing with the insurance and legal processes. Don,t neglect getting treatment for the emotional complications.
Signature/Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information.........

1171, You are correct. Unfortunately the longest fight so far has been over those emotional allowances. The BWC IME found in my favor last May, we won the hearing, and are now in the appeals and stalling loop of the employer, the State. I am going to use my private healthcare while I still have it for another year, because for sure it is a slippery slope. I say this, but then I forget to call. Ah, brain injuries. We are getting closer though, the AG is at the end of their line of delay options.

(12-01-2017, 05:42 PM)Mollylink Wrote: Hello all, still a newbie to this forum from Ohio. Also wish I had found it earlier on my journey. Anyone on here who’s been in the WC system awhile with a TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury)? I feel like I am going to be trapped in this system forever and it’s sucking my soul out. It’s been over a year, I cannot work now and will not likely be able to anytime in the foreseeable future. I know you’ve all been through it, those that have been around, and I am preaching to the choir. It’s the point where every case I win, the Atty. General’s office appeals. (Yes, opposing counsel is the State AG’s office. But they aren’t very good.) it’s just delay tactics, but it keeps me from getting the treatment I need to have a better quality of life.

Oh I guess this turned into a rant. My apologies! Point is, with a TBI, needing long term medical, I don’t see how I will ever get out. My attorney obviously doesn’t recommend settlement anytime soon. Any suggestions from the pros?

Listen to your attorney and DO NOT SETTLE. I am so glad he is telling you this. Its a first. WC will need to give you 2 million dollars to satisfy any more medical care you would need for that.
The care is worth more to your life then some insulting small payout.
I wish you all the best on this tough journey.
[color=#181818][size=small][font=Merriweather, Georgia, serif]The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively~[/font][/size][/color]

Thanks RootsGal. It certainly has been a roller coaster. I think I'm doing better and then remember I'm in the comfort of my home and isolated from the world. Sprinkle in a little stress or send me to the grocery store and whew, it's all over! LOL! Seriously though, I am going to start the SSD paperwork process. I am still on TTD but may as well get that ball rolling.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation RI - Brain Injury - Can you help me with my Son please? marie2010 12 7,491 08-16-2010, 03:36 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  Brain Aneurysm during work Nina 3 6,475 07-28-2010, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Cycler
  Settlements what to look for/expect - my brain fried harrya50 6 13,030 05-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Last Post: Still in Limbo
  returning to driving a big rig after brain injury muttley 13 16,293 01-01-2008, 08:06 AM
Last Post: muttley
  return to driving after brain injury -question muttley 8 9,251 12-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Still in Limbo