Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why you should not get fusion surgery for plain back pain
https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertlangr...f05b07519d

The article above is good. It mentions back pain and not situation where you have for example loss of bladder control, function, fractured vertebrae, it is about fusions being given for back pain.

I can tell you I have rarely seen patients improved by these procedures, or just temporarily improved and then the discs above and below are affected and additional problems arise. Always get several opinions before considering a spinal fusion. Research your surgeon, devices and products he plans on using and also the approach. There are several different types of fusions and ways to do this surgery. For example, for lumbar fusions anterior (through the stomach) approach is not covered, or only in certain situations by some private insurance companies due to it being considered investigational and dangerous.

The article mentions it has shown not to work any better than physical therapy. Well, for California injured workers this can be a problem. In California, there is a lifetime cap for physical therapy at 24 sessions. This is IF you are lucky to make it through utilization review to actually get the 24 sessions. I have read some claims adjusters comments about this, stating the patient can be given home exercises to do. This may work for some injuries, but there are limits to home exercise for one there is no one to tell the patient new exercises to advance to, or watch and see areas that are an issue etc. I hope this does not sway ANYONE from doing home exercise as it is beneficial. Staying stagnant will make everything worse.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

I waited till walking was agony and had a fusion I can walk now but boy howdy pain is still there just not so bad
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

(09-11-2017, 01:18 PM)jayne Wrote: I waited till walking was agony and had a fusion I can walk now but boy howdy pain is still there just not so bad

I am glad it helped you!

Recovery can take some time. Hopefully they give you physical therapy, or aqua therapy to help with pain and function. Aqua therapy in a heated pool can be beneficial if you cannot tolerate land therapy.

Best to you.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

(09-11-2017, 01:18 PM)jayne Wrote: I waited till walking was agony and had a fusion I can walk now but boy howdy pain is still there just not so bad

What really sucks, sometimes our bodies just don't realize they've been fixed.

this body has more scars than a Biker has tattoos. The Dr says I just worked to hard for to long and my body is giving out. But hey I am worried about the next generation of hurt workers all the new laws are really going to hurt them
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

That's why we have to stick around and help......

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Warriors coach warns why you should think twice about back surgery California_Help 2 1,398 06-07-2017, 04:35 AM
Last Post: jayne
  Spinal Fusion and knee surgery scam California_Help 2 1,502 08-16-2016, 09:39 AM
Last Post: California_Help
  Exercise and back pain California_Help 10 3,927 01-15-2016, 03:13 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  lumbar fusion related to cervical pain Milo 4 2,538 01-23-2013, 10:45 AM
Last Post: jayne
  Back surgery went well bodybuilder1958 7 2,402 08-23-2011, 08:10 PM
Last Post: halftrak
  Back from Pain Management UndercovrAngel 6 2,412 08-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Manley2
  back arm pain keeping me up backache 13 3,395 03-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Last Post: backache
  Vickinat & low back pain Bummer Knees 14 5,075 12-11-2007, 09:25 PM