Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump declares national emergency opioid crisis
http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addic...-emergency

"These are challenging days. Persons who suffer with chronic and intractable pain are facing widespread public misunderstanding of the difference between physical dependence on a drug to treat addiction and a chronic illness.  

Terri A Lewis, PHD
Physicians and policy wonks are just as confused. Prescriptions are reducing but deaths are increasing. Despite the fact that addiction in persons with chronic pain is consistently reported at less than 4% of the population of patients, many fear that anyone taking opioid medications is at risk for addiction, leading to behaviors associated with overdose, suicide, or other negative outcomes. Physicians who prescribe for complex patients are being stigmatized by their peers as ‘aberrant prescribers.’"

http://nationalpainreport.com/stigma-opi...27980.html

What I have seen when reading some news stories is they lump all drug overdoses caused by a drug patients can get from a prescription (even if it was bought illegally). This can give a misconstrued idea about patients who are being prescribed prescription opioid medication for severe chronic pain appropriately.(JMO)

In the California work comp system they placed strict caps on alternative treatments like 24 chiropractic treatments for lifetime (if you fit the criteria and can get through UR and IMR). Physical therapy the same (24 visits for lifetime if you are lucky). These treatments also due to UR and IMR are spread out as they often times only approve a handful at a time which can lead to ineffectiveness.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Prescriptions are down while overdoses are up, it seems to me that when chronic pain patients are cut off of pain medications they have nowhere else to turn but to illegal street drugs where chances are even higher of an overdose or even worse, suicide.

(08-11-2017, 02:08 PM)kev_b Wrote: Prescriptions are down while overdoses are up, it seems to me that when chronic pain patients are cut off of pain medications they have nowhere else to turn but to illegal street drugs where chances are even higher of an overdose or even worse, suicide.

Good point. I have no idea, but I have read some patients who are desperate have resorted to that.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CVS limit opioid prescriptions to 7 days California_Help 2 666 09-30-2017, 04:58 PM
Last Post: jayne
  national shame jayne 4 1,216 10-27-2012, 11:06 AM
Last Post: jayne
  Emergency surgery for Todd Bummer Knees 12 4,353 07-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  National Day of Prayer, why we should pray bodybuilder1958 0 1,400 05-06-2011, 08:01 AM
Last Post: bodybuilder1958
  National Pain Care Policy Act of 2009 Bummer Knees 2 2,232 04-29-2009, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  How To Get A Job In Times Of Crisis. bronco54501 9 3,394 03-25-2009, 09:15 PM
Last Post: bronco54501
  EUC Emergency Unemployment Compansation? borninabarn 2 2,030 10-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
Cool Legislation Calling for National Work Comp Commission Bad Boy Bad Boy 1 2,609 08-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Last Post: red1030
  This is an emergency backache 10 3,501 02-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Last Post: backache
  Emergency Prayers NOW red1030 52 11,094 11-15-2007, 01:39 AM
Last Post: red1030