Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spinal Fusion and knee surgery scam
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/04/upshot....html?_r=1

Above is a recent article about several studies on spinal fusions and knee surgery. As far as spinal fusions, it states they do not work as apposed to conservative treatment physical therapy etc. I have read with certain injuries such as vertebrae fracture or if you are losing function of arm or leg, control of bladder and bowel, drop foot to name a few a fusion may necessary.

I have read forums and talked to many patients, patient advocates and doctors who agree spinal fusions do not work on most patients. Your spine may look better on an MRI, but you may not feel less pain and in fact you may feel worse. 

I am asking injured workers to post under this who have had a spinal fusion or meniscus knee surgery to post of the are better, worse or the same and also if you had to have additional surgeries to help others who may be told they need these surgeries. You do not need to post specifics like level etc.

I will start. I had a milti- level lumbar fusion and my pain is much worse and so is my function. I have since had to have an additional surgery and I am being told by several doctors I need another fusion on the disc above. I was told this 2 years after my original fusion. I will not do an additional fusion and I am trying alternative treatment, home exercise etc.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

I've had a cervical spine fusion, with this the pain is still there but much better than prior to the surgery. Plus with this surgery I has loosing use of my arms. Pain free no, I use a tens unit and meds to help with the pain and will one day need another surgery.

With the left knee I've had two meniscus surgeries and one total knee. Things are better with this knee than prior to surgery. Before the TKR being on my feet was very limited due to not being able to bear weight due but a short time. I still have problems with the knee 8 yrs after surgery, lots of swelling and pain.

With the right knee I have had two meniscus surgeries. Prior to surgery walking was limited due to pain and the knee getting stuck in the flexion position. I need to return to the surgeon due to pain in the lateral meniscus. I am afraid I will be needing a knee replacement as the meniscus can only be repaired so many times.

(08-16-2016, 03:31 AM)Bummer Knees Wrote: I've had a cervical spine fusion, with this the pain is still there but much better than prior to the surgery.  Plus with this surgery I has loosing use of my arms.  Pain free no, I use a tens unit and meds to help with the pain and will one day need another surgery.

With the left knee I've had two meniscus surgeries and one total knee.  Things are better with this knee than prior to surgery.  Before the TKR being on my feet was very limited due to not being able to bear weight due but a short time.   I still have problems with the knee 8 yrs after surgery, lots of swelling and pain.

With the right knee I have had two meniscus surgeries.  Prior to surgery walking was limited due to pain and the knee getting stuck in the flexion position.  I need to return to the surgeon due to pain in the lateral meniscus.  I am afraid I will be needing a knee replacement as the meniscus can only be repaired so many times.

I am sorry you are still dealing with some issues, but it sounds like they both helped you, which is nice to read.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  why you should not get fusion surgery for plain back pain California_Help 5 3,765 10-01-2017, 05:21 PM
Last Post: dusty boy
  Spinal Fusion...don't do it! California_Help 1 1,191 08-15-2016, 05:28 PM
Last Post: jayne
  Laser Spinal Surgery darrinb 0 1,260 04-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Last Post: darrinb
  Spinal Fusion Smoker vs Non smokers darrinb 20 15,794 03-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Last Post: jayne
  Surgery, Rt knee this Friday bodybuilder1958 3 2,184 10-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Knee Surgery Bummer Knees 8 3,741 01-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Last Post: hurt at work
  Tommorow Knee Scope Surgery Bad Boy Bad Boy 23 5,366 05-02-2008, 04:20 PM