Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FCE Exam
I need some advice.  I am from Georgia.

At my FCE exam, or Functional Capacity Exam if they ask me to pick up something that weighs over what my Dr's restrictions state do I have to pick it up?  What do I do if they tell me to bend down and my doctor says don't do that?  This makes no sense to me at all.

I was told I have to do everything they tell me, make the effort even if it hurts.  That if I don't they will perceive it as me not even trying and automatically give me a bad rating.  From what they have described my day will be I will be in bed recovering from it the next 10 days!!!!

I never had one of the exams before and don't know what to expect.  I did a search on the place they are sending me to and it has a one star review and the person giving the review stated they were laughed at, humiliated and degraded during their exam.  They said that if they could have given less than one star rating on their review they would have.

This sets up all kinds of red flags to me.  They are NOT sending me to a reputable place!  It is workman's comp therapist obviously eating out of their money pocket.

Sorry sounds like a whore to me, paid by worman's comp to do their dirty work.  Help?  Any thoughts.  Just buck up and do the best I can I guess.

The FCE must be administered with care for the client's safety and well-being.
Pain is a measurement of performance and must be documented.
in order to get an accurate measurement of your ability to perform on the job you can limit your use of pain meds. you can limit your activities consistent with your pain level.

you did not state who referred you for the exam or what the purpose is? is there an issue about your ability to return to your prior job duties or perform light/modified work for a limited time? or to be used as part of a vocational rehabilitation assessment? or what?

generally an FCE is most meaningful when used in a series to measure progress from a baseline. as a stand-alone test there is little objective validation.

you should discuss your restrictions with your doctor especially if they were temporary and are not up to date.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(09-03-2015, 02:41 PM)1171 Wrote: The FCE must be administered with care for the client's safety and well-being.
Pain is a measurement of performance and must be documented.
in order to get an accurate measurement of your ability to perform on the job you can limit your use of pain meds. you can limit your activities consistent with your pain level.

you did not state who referred you for the exam or what the purpose is? is there an issue about your ability to return to your prior job duties or perform light/modified work for a limited time? or to be used as part of a vocational rehabilitation assessment? or  what?

generally an FCE is most meaningful when used in a series to measure progress from a baseline. as a stand-alone test there is little objective validation.

you should discuss your restrictions with your doctor especially if they were temporary and are not up to date.

I am using larger font because of my eyes.  First of all let me say thank you for responding.  My biggest concern is pain.  I am worried that the 4 hour test with a lunch break is going to re injure my already messed up back.  I have been told by attorney that I must do what they ask of me or they will consider me non compliant and not really injured.  The problem with that is if I tell them I can't do that because it will hurt, they will write me up unfavorably I am told.  Therefore I must do something I know is going to hurt me and put me in bed for days.  Of course they won't be around to see this.
I was just approved for social security disability without an FCE exam. 
Workman's Comp has ordered this FCE exam because they asked for my back surgeon to give a disability rating and he refused and said he would write up the prescription for me to go to an FCE.  Even though workman's comp is sending me to someone I was told by my back surgeon that he does not recommend!!!!!  Why?  Because they have a bad rating.  He told me which institution he relies on and recommends.  It is NOT the one they are sending me to.  It is one with an extremely bad reputation.  I have this verified with my attorney's office!  They have been trying to get that changed but to no avail I am told. 
What is really strange to me as well is workman's comp offered me a low ball settllement with no FCE required.  If I had been stupid enough to accept their offer I would not being going through an FCE Exam and another deposition.  It would have all been over, so this is obviously harassment.
I don't mind an FCE exam if it is fair, but the reputation of the people involved is very bad and they are being paid by workman's comp.  That doesn't sound very unbiased or fair to me.
If my doctor has stated on my work restrictions which were for LIFE that I am NOT to bend, squat, stoop, etc.............can the person evaluating my FCE exam ask me to do these things?
I am NOT getting better is my prognosis.  Worsening, deteriorating..........so none of this makes sense except like I typed,  H A R R A S S M E N T.
Social Security Disability has found me disabled.  They know this.  They had to be informed because when they came back with their low ball settlement a Medicare Set Aside has to be considered due to SSDI.
Any information you can share will be helpful.

you have to distinguish what IS hurting and what might hurt. you can't use your fear or projection of what might happen to avoid performing.
failure to allow the FCE because of what might happen or what you think could happen or what you read or heard happened to someone else will not be considered compliant.
they need real time feed back.
unfortunately they are not going to take your subjective belief of what will hurt as fact.
your benefits are not going to be determined by what you think you cannot do. FCEs are subjective enough without trying to quantify the patient's fears.

litigation is both sides angling for an outcome each likes. In the legal system fairness is the negotiated result however it turns out. each gives, each gets; neither you nor the employer determines the outcome.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(09-03-2015, 05:03 PM)1171 Wrote: you have to distinguish what IS hurting and what might hurt. you can't use your fear or projection of what might happen to avoid performing.
failure to allow the FCE because of what might happen or what you think could happen or what you read or heard happened to someone else will not be considered compliant.
they need real time feed back.
unfortunately they are not going to take your subjective belief of what will hurt as fact.
your benefits are not going to be determined by what you think you cannot do. FCEs are subjective enough without trying to quantify the patient's fears.

litigation is both sides angling for an outcome each likes. In the legal system fairness is the negotiated result however it turns out. each gives, each gets; neither you nor the employer determines the outcome.
[quote pid='160934' dateline='1441314223']
I understand the statement that I can't use my fear or projection of what might happen to avoid performing up to a point.  I now understand my body's limits better than anyone.  After all it is my body.  I know what is going to hurt and I am concerned they are going to ask me to do something that is going to hurt.  Put me in an ambulance.  That is called self preservation, and in my humble opinion common sense.  If I try and I tell them that hurts they use that against you I have been told.  From what I am learning of this process you are forced to do something that is going to hurt you all over again.  After the test I will be the one dealing with the pain not them.  That is why this test is so obviously flawed.  If I am hurting when I arrive for the test does that even matter to them?  I have been told it does not matter if I arrive in pain that if I tell them I hurt and can't do that they will automatically write me up unfavorably.
You typed neither you nor the employer determines the outcome.  Do you mean by that it is up to the attorneys?
All I care about at this point is not hurting myself worse than I have already been injured by what I feel is a totally biased toward the insurance company Therapy place that already has a very bad reputation.  I am baffled as to why my MRI's and surgery is not enough to prove, "Well golly, gee he must be in constant pain!"  Is a therapist opinion more medically sound than a MRI, a surgeon, a doctor's report?  If I bend down and pick up that box out of fear of THEM and I am hauled away in an ambulance as a result are they going to care?  Heck no.  All they see in me is $$$$$$'s.  So I still wonder if my doctor said don't bend, stoop at the waist, if they are going to require me to do those very things?

[/quote]

I meant that neither by themselves controls the outcome; how the case resolves will be the product of both sides.
your feelings of harassment and that the other side is being unfair is natural in a contested situation that where there has to be give and take and consequences to every move.
they don't know you from any of 10K other claimants. neither party comes into the system with a white hat or black hat; each has to prove up their authenticity thru the process.
you can always change attys and try and find one that is willing to fight the FCE for you.
Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(09-03-2015, 08:55 PM)1171 Wrote: I meant that neither by themselves controls the outcome; how the case resolves will be the product of both sides.
your feelings of harassment and that the other side is being unfair is natural in a contested situation that where there has to be give and take and consequences to every move.
they don't know you from any of 10K other claimants. neither party comes into the system with a white hat or black hat; each has to prove up their authenticity thru the process.
you can always change attys and try and find one that is willing to fight the FCE for you.

Let me be perfectly clear about my attorney.  I know I have the BEST attorney.  He has fought my battles for me for a long time without pay.  He is deserving of every penny that he gets when the time comes and more so.  He has my complete trust.  My attorney is not the problem.  The problem is a system that allows the insurance company to hire their therapists who are willing to do whatever it takes to stay on their payroll.  Politicians should have NEVER allowed this.  It is totally biased and in favor of the insurance companies.  Conflict of interest.  According to some attorney's they are making as much as $400,000 to $900,000 a year.  Do you see the problem?  I have decided just to buck up and take it, I don't have a choice.  Of course I will do the FCE, the sham that it is.  Of course it is going to hurt.  Once again I have complete faith in my attorney to fight for me.  I trust my back surgeon.  He is a good man.  If he were not a good man I would not have let him do the surgery.
 So with that I need to quit worrying about it, let it go, and get it over with and done.  I will let you know how it turns out.  Thank you for your valuable input and time, I do appreciate your help and thoughts.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Independent medical exam rating question Schwing 3 2,197 06-21-2016, 12:29 PM
Last Post: 1171
  UnBiased? EXAM JohnDoe 6 3,692 10-16-2015, 04:21 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  occupational permanency exam angel1954 2 2,356 09-24-2015, 11:11 PM
  Functional Capacity Exam marinechamp 13 10,755 08-01-2014, 12:46 PM
Last Post: Manley2
  qme exam billaker 8 6,562 01-24-2014, 12:18 AM
  SSDI exam coming up ammowoman 11 10,298 01-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Last Post: jayne
Question EDD request for IME exam lizdawiz82 2 4,461 11-17-2011, 02:23 AM
Last Post: lizdawiz82
  Independent Medical exam after case closed georgia-back 14 17,993 10-03-2011, 12:19 PM
  Independent medical exam Adk98 16 15,221 09-11-2011, 06:59 PM
  compell to attend Ame exam notagain 1 4,516 02-22-2011, 11:50 PM