• Please excuse our dust
  • We are continuing the redesign of our forums
  • We'll get there eventually!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What about back surgery? Good or bad??
I have been reading alot of what people have had or will be having done with regards to similar injuries to my own...........and I don't get a warm feeling in my tummy about surgery. Am I wrong, but does most surgery just not do the trick? I did some babysitting for a friend today, she is a healer and we were talking and she said the same. Shehas a chiropractor who has this machiene type thing that works 99% times for injuries a bit further up the back. She doesn't know about L5-S1 though, she will find out. She said pretty much what I have been hearing.......surgery just doesn't work most of the time for most of the people.

Does wc okay things like chiropractor work though? It would be cheaper I think that surgery.............and if the chiropractor tells me about good things....I would much rather have that. I really don'twant to be disabled for the rest of my life. Apar from not affording it.........not in this country anyhow.............I want to be useful.......Man. All I did was sit all morning with the children, one in my lap for most of the time.......and I came away hurting. Did absolutely nothing at alll!!!!!!!!!! I don't like any of this. Should I post to the experts do you think?

W/C paid for My chiropractor treatment as it did help a lot but now they say they wont pay for maintenance visits.

bag are you a natural red head? do you scar heavy when you get cut? these things are inportant scarring after a back or neck surgery can do more harm than the intinal injury......consider wisely talk to more than one doc...and do what YOU feel is best for you
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Talk to your dr and other drs and do your research about other techniques. Are the drs wanting to fuse you or do a laminectomy, discectomy, or what? I have had two discectomy/laminectomies on my L4-L5. The first one was four years ago and it went perfect. Back to a physical job six weeks after surgery without any restrictions or pt. I am having more trouble recovering from the one I had in June, but I am slowly getting better. I have to keep reminding myself that this is the second time on the same disc and I am four years older.
What I am trying to say is look at all of your options and research, research, research.
I am wishing you the best!

My Lower Back Surgery at L5/S1 was unavoidable, due to a crushed Nerve, but recent studies have Proven the same Heal Rate Two Years after Injury Surgery vs. Non Surgical Interventions. A Large percentage of Back Surgeries are avoidable, if the injury is not so severe as to be impeding Nerves or Heavy Compression or Crushing. It has been Proven that Conservative measures over Time can for some be as successful in relieving Pain as Surgery. Please explore all avenues before Surgery, mine was not successful, and I set with a Back full of Scar Tissue and Disabled! Err on Caution, and Surgery should be a Last Resort, not a quick fix and Fast Paycheck for the Surgeon!!Wink

hmmmmmmmmmm, that is what I thought. My neuru just cancelled on me due to an emergency....so I have to wait still for more informaton. I do have nerve damage........and the injury is L5-S1 with a bit breaking off into the spinal canal.

I am not red head, but I do have major red in my hair.......my mother was red haired. I do not do well at all with any type of surgery. When I had my daughter I had an epidural and some tearing.........I suffered one day later with a badly reduced blood pressure and then had to be isolated. Later I had a myomectomy in 2001 and suffered terrible scaring due to some sort of tissue breakdown that forced me to have daily nursing care and total bed rest for 10 weeks.....again I had the same issue with blood pressure. The actually scar from the surgery healed well, but the tissue within 2 inches above the scar area completely broke down, blistered, and bled. I now have a huge scar of about 3 1/2 inches by 7 inches.

So I am very wary of any type of surgery. I will keep doing more research. thanks for the imput so far. I am naturally more worried now. I have spoken to Public Assistance and I will not qualify for any assistance at all, even Medicaid and I have no ss build up. I have now made an appt with the ss office, who say they may be able to either work me with my years of working in England..since I retained my citizenship....and/or use my husbands.......ex's work buildup. I just hope that they can do something either way. I am just making sure of what is out there should the worst happen..........I have to know now rather than wait for anything to happen before I start making some plans.

If other conservative options, such as chiropractic and physical therapy, have failed to provide relief from chronic pain caused by disc problems, surgery would be the best option. Whether surgery works or not depends on the type of surgery. Open fusion surgeries work about 50% iof the time. Newer minimally-invasive arthroscopic surgeries ashow a success rate of over 90% across the board.

bonati Wrote:If other conservative options, such as chiropractic and physical therapy, have failed to provide relief from chronic pain caused by disc problems, surgery would be the best option. Whether surgery works or not depends on the type of surgery. Open fusion surgeries work about 50% iof the time. Newer minimally-invasive arthroscopic surgeries ashow a success rate of over 90% across the board.

I am not receiving any physio or chiropractic intervention at this point. I guess I have to wait for what the neuro says. I would like to try those first though since I an worried about surgery. I am glad to hear about those surgeries that have a good success rate. I was told by my doctor that they may want to try to fuse......but she also told me she was no expert and didn't want to give me wrong information. Thank you for your input. It is important for me to have as much info to hand as possible when i speak to the neuro.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are my benifits at risk of being modified if I refuse back surgery? slipperydisc 1 845 12-06-2014, 07:30 PM
Last Post: 1171
  just had back surgery nurselpn 3 1,803 07-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Georgia: will I receive a settlement after my back surgery John51 3 7,216 04-04-2013, 02:33 AM
  Had back surgery.. Dr,says nothing else he can do now what? PLEASE HELP ME!!! brandy23_32 23 8,259 01-15-2013, 04:54 PM
Last Post: brandy23_32
  Had back surgery at 20yrs old from work injury! Help please!!! brandy23_32 3 4,620 10-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Last Post: brandy23_32
  failed rfa...back to surgery FunPops 4 3,523 08-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Last Post: FunPops
  Back Surgery Advice chicagoHdiscs 5 3,895 09-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Last Post: Manley2
Sad Back surgery, going to lose everything Cara Tucker 5 4,203 06-04-2010, 09:58 AM
  Can I please have my Back Surgery? Sundance 10 4,622 05-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Sundance
  Back Surgery grumpyone 1 2,353 03-14-2010, 04:22 PM
Last Post: inpainokla