Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Replacing SCS
(12-11-2015, 06:19 PM)tbear6410 Wrote: Update...

Will be seeing my surgeon and his PA and my Medtronic Rep on Tuesday the 15th.  I've been having pain in my spine and it doesn't matter what setting or how high or low,, it hurts.  I also was doubled over the other evening when I tried to sit up a bit on the couch and the pain that went through my spine was the worse.  Back to oxycodone with my muscle relaxer just to try and sleep..  Tailbone area is hurting too....

So sorry to read thisSad
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Med rep put in a 4th setting... this one is just above the damaged discs and as far as it will go. He also put the speed from 5 to 60 so I have a wider speed setting. He says to use #3 which is right at the discs and #4 which is just above them for a bit and see if that helps. He turned off #1 which is for the right leg and #2 is going across the hip area. When I told him about the pain that went up the spine, he agreed I should have an x-ray to make sure the wires didn't move.

Then I saw the surgeon's PA... not him cause he was really busy. I told her everything and that the Spine Nurse I talked to on the phone and the Med Rep both agreeing on the x-ray to check the wires. She didn't seem to concerned. I knew there was a reason why I wanted my husband to take time off work to come with me... She just said it's only been 3 months and everything is still trying to scar over and heal. I told her that pain up the spine from tailbone to my shoulder blades wasn't cause it was healing. Also the pain I've been getting in my discs is the same pain I had before the surgery. She wants me to wait a few more months and see how it is... No x-ray or anything. She did tell me this time that the nerves grow an inch a month and I have a long road to recovery on them...

Now the numb patch where they cut into me... She says I'll always have that numbness and it won't go away. Any where you have surgery you get a permanent numb spot. I told her I had my appendix out and no numbness at that scar or the ones from having a gall bladder out or a benign tumor on my pinkie finger.. It went in one ear and out the other....

So I see my pain management dr in January and back to PA in March. and in between, we sit and wait and see how this goes....

(12-16-2015, 10:11 AM)tbear6410 Wrote: Med rep put in a 4th setting... this one is just above the damaged discs and as far as it will go.  He also put the speed from 5 to 60 so I have a wider speed setting.  He says to use #3 which is right at the discs and #4 which is just above them for a bit and see if that helps.  He turned off #1 which is for the right leg and #2 is going across the hip area.  When I told him about the pain that went up the spine, he agreed I should have an x-ray to make sure the wires didn't move.

Then I saw the surgeon's PA... not him cause he was really busy.  I told her everything and that the Spine Nurse I talked to on the phone and the Med Rep both agreeing on the x-ray to check the wires.  She didn't seem to concerned.  I knew there was a reason why I wanted my husband to take time off work to come with me...   She just said it's only been 3 months and everything is still trying to scar over and heal.  I told her that pain up the spine from tailbone to my shoulder blades wasn't cause it was healing.   Also the pain I've been getting in my discs is the same pain I had before the surgery.   She wants me to wait a few more months and see how it is...  No x-ray or anything.   She did tell me this time that the nerves grow an inch a month and I have a long road to recovery on them...

Now the numb patch where they cut into me... She says I'll always have that numbness and it won't go away.  Any where you have surgery you get a permanent numb spot.  I told her I had my appendix out and no numbness at that scar or the ones from having a gall bladder out or a benign tumor on my pinkie finger..  It went in one ear and out the other....

So I see my pain management dr in January and back to PA in March. and in between, we sit and wait and see how this goes....

I have had several spine surgeries and do not have a numb spot. Hopefully someone else with a spinal cord stim will reply.
Is there a way you can get another appointment to see the surgeon and not the PA?I would recommend asking your pain management doctor to x-ray it if he can if this other group does not help you..
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Don't know if everyone with a SCS is still reading this thread...

I'll be having my SCS removed May 5th due to constant pain with my nerves.

I ended up going in for a nerve block on January 26th and Dr. T told me that it sounded like the wires are pressing on the nerves. He said he did mention it in my report when I had the Temp put in that there wasn't much room in the Spinal Canal for those wires.

I finally went to see the surgeon about all this and my Med Rep was there too. Rep wanted to up the speed and strength of the Stim but I told him flat out.... if it goes over 5.0, I'm in pain that doubles me over. Not to mention that the pain I had BEFORE the surgery was all still there... the unit just isn't working. Surgeon comes in and we talk with him. He agrees with us that it's just not doing what it should be doing and because of the wires pressing and causing the nerve pain, he also recommends it comes out.

Since both the surgeon and PM doctor's both stated that I wouldn't be able to work anymore, I asked about having the nerves burned after the SCS is removed. PM dr. said we can do that after I've healed from the surgery. Since I won't be working, we will know if that procedure works or not. First one I had done, I was working 40 hours a week with no breaks or light duty, so it never helped.

(03-17-2016, 09:32 AM)tbear6410 Wrote: Don't know if everyone with a SCS is still reading this thread...

I'll be having my SCS removed May 5th due to constant pain with my nerves.  

I ended up going in for a nerve block on January 26th and Dr. T told me that it sounded like the wires are pressing on the nerves.  He said he did mention it in my report when I had the Temp put in that there wasn't much room in the Spinal Canal for those wires.

I finally went to see the surgeon about all this and my Med Rep was there too.  Rep wanted to up the speed and strength of the Stim but I told him flat out.... if it goes over 5.0, I'm in pain that doubles me over.  Not to mention that the pain I had BEFORE the surgery was all still there... the unit just isn't working.   Surgeon comes in and we talk with him.  He agrees with us that it's just not doing what it should be doing and because of the wires pressing and causing the nerve pain, he also recommends it comes out.

Since both the surgeon and PM doctor's both stated that I wouldn't be able to work anymore, I asked about having the nerves burned after the SCS is removed.  PM dr. said we can do that after I've healed from the surgery.  Since I won't be working, we will know if that procedure works or not.   First one I had done, I was working 40 hours a week with no breaks or light duty, so it never helped.

I hope the nerve burning will help. Please let us know how you are doing.