Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Replacing SCS
Has anybody had a SCS replaced yet? They told me they need replaced around 9 years. Now I'm only in year 7 with it so I should have some time but I have a couple of questions. When the replace it do they put it right back in where it is now? I understand they have leads now so that you can sill have an MRI but I was told there is no way they can take the ones I have in now out to replace with the new type. Sound right?

This topic was discussed on another site. It sounded like the leads can be removed, but there is a risk. I will send you a pm of that conversation. I would recommend getting another doctors opinion.

I think poster "Dolphines" has had some experience with SCS but do not know if he had it removed.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Thanks for the link, it was good to read. I've not talked with the doctor that put my leads in to see if when this machine needs replaced if he could swap out the leads so they could put in the ones that will let me have MRI's. I think it would be nice to have the option if I would need an MRI down the road but understand there could be some risks to removing them. Funny thing was I remember when they put it in they said it could be removed if you really had to have an MRI.
Also on the machine I was just wondering if it caused problems or was better to just replace the machine right were it is. I don't have any problems where it is, well I just have to be careful about wearing an inside the waist band holster. If I wear too biga pistol or wear it to far back it presses on it.

Not sure since we will have open medical how it would work to get them to pay to replace the leads since I'm sure that is more money then just replacing the machine alone. I don't care about the cost but as long as it can be done and not a big risk I'd like to be able to have the option to have an MRI if it was needed for my back or even anything else. I have had an MRI on my head since they put in the SCS because you can do your head only. I'm sure the company will not want to pay but that is what they get when the want open medical and not a set-a-side

Could I have that link too please? I go for my Psych Appt. this Thursday to see if I'm able enough to get this done. I'm trying to get all the information possible so I know what will happen and how it's going to affect me.

Manley, are you still on restrictions at all? I was told if I get the SCS, I will still be on restrictions if I'm allowed to go back to work. I was also told the only thing that they would have to replace after so many years is the battery in it.

(02-09-2015, 09:11 AM)tbear6410 Wrote: Could I have that link too please? I go for my Psych Appt. this Thursday to see if I'm able enough to get this done. I'm trying to get all the information possible so I know what will happen and how it's going to affect me.

Manley, are you still on restrictions at all? I was told if I get the SCS, I will still be on restrictions if I'm allowed to go back to work. I was also told the only thing that they would have to replace after so many years is the battery in it.

You do not have private message option, tbear. I don't know if I can post links to other forums here. If you unlock your private message option, I will send to you.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

I have had my SCS replaced twice, and have had it re-vised 3 times. i am scheduled too have the leads moved up higher in the spine, too control rsd that has spread higher. As of now, it only captors the lower back. The last time, the wires came out, and had to be put back in, and i developed a serious infection were the box is placed. The reason they are saying that you hace to have it replaced, is the batteries only last between 8 to 10 years, so you are definitely due. The ins. comp. should pay for all issues related to the care of the simulator, since they paid to have it put in.

I would recommend that you get a representative from ST. Jude, as they are the ones that monitor the function of the simulator. I have one, and he makes sure everything is working like it should. As far as the MRI, the leads are wires, and an mri could pull them out, that's why we can't have them. i carry a card from my doctor that say's I can't pass through metal detectors. You can get MRI's, just not where the wires are.

If you have any questions, fell free to ask.

That's one good thing to know about carrying a card. I was told metal detectors would only give you such a little zap that you would think it was running normally.

My back problem is in the lower back: 2 bulging, 1 deflated, bone spurs on the tailbone, pinched nerves on both sides, pain going from back to both hips, my canal in thinning and DDD... all thanks to work.

Now to find out how to get private messages on here..

I sent you the link tbear.

Got it.. thanks and did read up on it. Now to find out from anyone who has one and is working.. if they are still on restrictions... I was told I would still have the 5 pound weight limit and no heavy duty bending and twisting.. which my job entales...

You can't put any strain on your back. This caused the wires to rip out, when I tries to lift the door on my trailer. Mine is still working now, it just needs to be moved up higher. They are going to leave in the permanent box, and install a temporary one, located on the outside, that way when they move the wires, they can see if they are working right, before hooking up to permanent one. That way, they wont have to take out the permanent one. I have never heard of wires that allow for MRI's. I will contact my rep from ST JUDE and ask him, and lat you know.

Sorry to hear that you have red. SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!