Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you have to sign to be done?
Is the settlement done before I sign the papers or do I have to sign for it to be complete? Reason I ask is lawyer said he would have the paperwork already for me to sign and he doesn't so I assume they are just taking their time. So they have given me enought time to decide I'd like to have a hearing and go with what that says. Now I know this may take 3 months now to get back in for a hearing but I would like to have PTD now and not the little lump sum they offered. They screwed up by taking their sweet time

the settlement isn't done until the court approves it.
you can change your mind.
but generally if the atty agreed to it and you don't it's time to get another atty as carriers will be hesitant to trust the atty in future deals.
let your atty know asap. don't be surprised if they come back with a better offer.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

So it would need to be signed by me before the court would approve it, right?

Not sure about changing lawyers. I know they have to agree on the money they get and we are almost done. I did tell my lawyer that I spoke with another lawyer that I know about this settlement so he might be thinking I'm going to change if he doesn't get this done. But I think with open medical he would like off my case now anyway

or an affidavit as to why you were unavailable or unable to sign.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

When I settled mine, I signed the first one that counter their offer.. But this went on a few different times before they were in my range. I then had signed to the agreed offer which was then sent to judge for approval .. Once this was done the final contract was made and I signed again. In our state having open medical does not allow your lawyer to escape his obligations as with the settlement he was and is paid to handle any future hold ups with your medical. With open medical....

First time we meet with lawyer on offer my wife said take it but I said we would let him know. After I told her how it would work out she agreed with me and we said no to the deal. He came back and said he could get them to go up a little, and it was only a little. And he would lower his percent to make up some more. Spoke with another lawyer who first said take it to court and then after we talked longer he said it was not what he would go for but it was money now so that is why I decided my lawyer really was only going to be behind me taking it. Now that they have delayed getting the paperwork to us for over a week this has not made her happy and she is now fully behind taking it to a hearing. I know it will be up to the hearing officer and it will cut into SSDI but I know it will be more over the rest of my life then the settlement would have been. Guess they could make a better offer but it will have to be a ton more now to get her to change her mind for sure

(01-16-2015, 11:40 PM)Manley2 Wrote: First time we meet with lawyer on offer my wife said take it but I said we would let him know. After I told her how it would work out she agreed with me and we said no to the deal. He came back and said he could get them to go up a little, and it was only a little. And he would lower his percent to make up some more. Spoke with another lawyer who first said take it to court and then after we talked longer he said it was not what he would go for but it was money now so that is why I decided my lawyer really was only going to be behind me taking it. Now that they have delayed getting the paperwork to us for over a week this has not made her happy and she is now fully behind taking it to a hearing. I know it will be up to the hearing officer and it will cut into SSDI but I know it will be more over the rest of my life then the settlement would have been. Guess they could make a better offer but it will have to be a ton more now to get her to change her mind for sure

Is your lawyer a female...? Or are you saying your wife about changing her mind...

I understand the idea of long term.. I actually had the choice of getting mine all at once and it would have cured all our problems and we would have been able to keep the house.. Reality is thinking down the road 10 years from now. That's why I opted for the annuity paying out over 20 years plus I gained another 75,000 with the intrest... The paments to me really is not a lot to talk about considering what I used to make but its security in knowing its always there every month...

No I'm talking about the wife. She has decided I'm right about the long term. A lump sum would be okay if they made it enough to survive but what they offered is not going to make it. I'm sure the lawyer is going to try and get me to settle and sign what they offered but I've never felt good about it and now I feel good about seeing what a hearing brings.

if you are good with numbers you can try the settlement calculator here
http://www.settlementevaluator.com/

P.S. I just noticed that it's been changed to a pay to use site.
Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Thanks for the try. I've looked before and I think everything I found they want money. Only thing I hate about waiting is for the pharmacy not to get paid soon. I spoke with the owner and he told me to do what is best for me and not to worry about them, he said they would get paid in time. I'm told IL doesn't like to issue the fees for being late so that sucks. Found out the $32,000 figure my lawyer told me about was given to him back in Oct so that was from Feb 2012 until Oct 2014 so I'm not sure the total right now.

I'm almost thinking the reason they have delayed this is my lawyer was telling them we needed a card to cover my meds after settlement and I bet they were going to keep trying to get out of paying the bill

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I filed 3 business days ago... their carrier wants to talk already! Good or bad sign? AMSchmitt79 6 3,104 04-06-2016, 08:18 PM
Last Post: 1171
  MCO refuses to treat me anymore unless I sign agreement of treatment awolf58 8 4,840 08-15-2012, 03:47 AM
Last Post: awolf58
  I need injured workers to sign my petition thanks lizdawiz82 0 2,764 10-27-2011, 05:44 AM
Last Post: lizdawiz82
  The Insurance Company wants me to sign this...... Georgedroy 3 4,181 10-21-2011, 01:54 AM
Last Post: 1171
  WC wanting me to sign medicare release Bummer Knees 9 7,521 12-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy