Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Eating Healthy to reduce pain and inflammation
I wanted to write about one of the most favorite items I have in my kitchen, my nutribullet. It is like a small blender but convenient for making smoothies. Depending upon the size it is around $50. at Target.

http://www.dmsolutions.com.mx/27-thickbo...bullet.jpg

I use it to make healthy smoothies. I add a little ice and water or almond milk, and flax seeds to the fruits and vegetables I am blending.

This has improved my overall health and skin. I try to find recipes for smoothies that contain things to help with inflammation. There are foods and spices that help with inflammation, for example cinnamon. I use 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon in my coffee every morning. Cinnamon is an anti-inflammatory.

This is a recipe I found today.

Relieve Aches with Strawberry Ginger Smoothie

1 cup frozen strawberries + 2 kiwifruit (peeled and chopped) + ¾ cup skim milk + 1 Tbsp chia seeds + 1 tsp ground ginger + 4 ice cubes

Why it works: Ground ginger contains compounds that work in much the same way as many over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medications, and research suggests that vitamin C (found in kiwis and strawberries) can help lower the risk of developing arthritis.

PER SERVING: 265 CAL, 12 G PRO, 12 G FIBER

Fight pain, slim down and boost energy with these anti-inflammatory drink recipes.

https://theconsciouslife.com/how-to-make...othies.htm

I usually don't follow a recipe. I use kale or spinach as my staple vegetables, and add whatever fruits are in season, add some ice and some almond milk and flax seeds and blend. If it tastes too much like kale, I add 1/3 of a frozen banana and that takes the bite out. This is such a great way to get all of your fruits and vegetables servings during the day. I have found I have more energy, lose weight and my skin looks so much better with adding a smoothie a day. I also try to drink a full glass of lemon water before each meal. This helped me with weight loss.

I gained quite a bit of weight on Neurontin, in a short time period. This and being less active due to my injury was also difficult. I learned I needed to eat less and healthier as I was less active. I was able to take the weight off, and wanted to share this with others. That darn Neurontin, did get the best of me, only for a while.

It can be difficult living with pain issues, and losing the ability to control medical treatment. My doctor recommend taking control of the things I was able to, such as eating healthy.

Maybe it is psychological, but since I start my day putting that cinnamon in my coffee, I seem to feel better. Thank you Dr Oz! Inflammation reeks havoc in the body. If there are foods and spices to counteract it...I am willing to give it a trySmile

If others have any recipes or tips for anti-inflammatory foods, please post here. And... Screw you Neurontin!
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Although not much can be done for arthritis once you have it, there are dietary ways to help control the inflammation.
Pineapple juice is another one.

Neurontin is a nasty ass drug!!!!!

The better quality of food we put in the body, the better the body reacts.

I can honestly say I wish I had never had my car wreck; I also wish I would have never started using the Fentanyl Patch or Neurontin or klonopin etc. But realty is I am in pain and these meds help.

I know they are bad drugs in the long haul. I am currently taking Holistic drugs to keep from upping the narcotics, Neurotin etc. Neurontin has caused me to put on 18 lbs in 2 years and I have trouble losing it. Crazy crap but it helps with the nerve pain from internal shingles and nerve damage from car wreck.

I take 1000 mg of Quercentin; 1500 mg of Konoko, 600 mg of chelated magnesium and 10 billion strain probiotic.

I HATE PRESCRIPTION DEPENDENT DRUGS and I am taking at least 3 that I am dependent on (Fentanyl patch,Klonopin, and Neurontin. Yes, Neurontin IMO is addictive BUT I hurt and these drugs give me some quality of life. I take 1800 mg a day of this drug.

I lost 90+ lbs in 2010 on Weight watchers online. It helped but was not the perfect answer. Most of the time, I eat healthy because I now have CAD + a chronic problem with my bladder and my Urethra. My heart went into persistent AFIB in late 2011. One thing after another......
This is on top of my chronic back issues from 2003 car accident.

I am a man of Faith. I pray daily for total healing of my body. I thank God for my wonderful wife and my 2 beautiful girls who love and always support me thru all of this.

I try and smile and get on with life. I have 3 grandchildren and another on the way. They are the joy of this 56 year old mans life.

God is GOOD ALL THE TIME. That is the motto I live by. One day, I expect to be totally whole; whether thru divine intervention of healing, meeting Christ in the air or by earthly death, I will be whole one day.

Sorry for the long post but I have had a trying week and I guess I needed to just type. I live deep in the country surrounded by woods. It has its pros and cons.
Had a car wreck in 2003 while on the job. Settled in Jan. 2012 with Indemnity pay and a MSA. Approved for SSDI in March 2006. Was declared PTD at IME in 2009. Took approx 3 years to finalize the WC settlement. ALWAYS use spread language when settling Indemnity or SSA will nail your fanny.

I drink a shake every morning, body by vi.

I do worry about the high amount of inflammation I have.

Almond milk is recommended for the shakes I drink but I prefer water.

Thanks for the link

Try adding flax seed to whatever you eat BK. It's very healthy and you can pop some into a shake.

(10-17-2014, 04:39 PM)fatboy Wrote: I can honestly say I wish I had never had my car wreck; I also wish I would have never started using the Fentanyl Patch or Neurontin or klonopin etc. But realty is I am in pain and these meds help.

I know they are bad drugs in the long haul. I am currently taking Holistic drugs to keep from upping the narcotics, Neurotin etc. Neurontin has caused me to put on 18 lbs in 2 years and I have trouble losing it. Crazy crap but it helps with the nerve pain from internal shingles and nerve damage from car wreck.

I take 1000 mg of Quercentin; 1500 mg of Konoko, 600 mg of chelated magnesium and 10 billion strain probiotic.

I HATE PRESCRIPTION DEPENDENT DRUGS and I am taking at least 3 that I am dependent on (Fentanyl patch,Klonopin, and Neurontin. Yes, Neurontin IMO is addictive BUT I hurt and these drugs give me some quality of life. I take 1800 mg a day of this drug.

I lost 90+ lbs in 2010 on Weight watchers online. It helped but was not the perfect answer. Most of the time, I eat healthy because I now have CAD + a chronic problem with my bladder and my Urethra. My heart went into persistent AFIB in late 2011. One thing after another......
This is on top of my chronic back issues from 2003 car accident.

I am a man of Faith. I pray daily for total healing of my body. I thank God for my wonderful wife and my 2 beautiful girls who love and always support me thru all of this.

I try and smile and get on with life. I have 3 grandchildren and another on the way. They are the joy of this 56 year old mans life.

God is GOOD ALL THE TIME. That is the motto I live by. One day, I expect to be totally whole; whether thru divine intervention of healing, meeting Christ in the air or by earthly death, I will be whole one day.

Sorry for the long post but I have had a trying week and I guess I needed to just type. I live deep in the country surrounded by woods. It has its pros and cons.

Sorry for your week.

Neurontin helped a lot with my pain and was a Godsend at the time. It seemed to change my metabolism, even after I stopped it for a while. This may be what is happening to you.

I do not think there is anything wrong with taking medications if you are in pain. It is actually bad for your health not to control your pain.

I wish you well.

Scooter I agree about adding flax seeds.

Bummerknees I do 1/2 water and 1/2 almond milk or some plain yogurt. I agree water is healthier and less calories. I am trying to get to the point where I only add water.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

I take a glass of green smoothie every morning and never miss it. My day feels incomplete without my Green drink. I try different recipes for my green smoothie as similar recipe can be quite boring. Isn’t it?

(08-04-2015, 04:12 AM)Mathew43 Wrote: I take a glass of green smoothie every morning and never miss it. My day feels incomplete without my Green drink. I try different recipes for my green smoothie as similar recipe can be quite boring. Isn’t it?

My physical therapist was telling me about this yesterday.  She said it is awesome.

Glad to see you back Fatboy was a bit worried about you as I know we have a lot of the same problems with our spines. Glad to see some of the old posters coming back.You all be good ya hear! I am not gonna jump on the smoothy band wagon it just wont go down without gagging. I am a bit strange as food has to be attractive and smell good before I can eat it. This takes care of any fish or sea food the smell just gags me....I can go into a café and if it the smells are overwellming we leave I just cant deal with it.Be they good or bad.
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

(08-05-2015, 05:33 PM)jayne Wrote: Glad to see you back Fatboy was a bit worried about you as I know we have a lot of the same problems with our spines. Glad to see some of the old posters coming back.You all be good ya hear! I am not gonna jump on the smoothy band wagon it just wont go down without gagging. I am a bit strange as food has to be attractive and smell good before I can eat it. This takes care of any fish or sea food the smell just gags me....I can go into a café and if it the smells are overwellming  we leave I just cant deal with it.Be they good or bad.

I drank my first smoothie last week and man did I think it taste great, going to start trying to fix more of them
Cervical Fusion 2003, c5-c6. Herniated and damaged Disc L1- L4-L5 S1. Lumbar Spinal Cord stimulator implant 09-2008. Cervical ACDF revision with hardware c4-c5-c6-c7 Sept 2009.
SSDI approved 3-2010. NOW OFFICIALY RETIRED

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Healthy Level Of Insanity bronco54501 3 2,392 02-03-2009, 01:01 AM
Last Post: katicabogar
  Something to do while eating turkey sandwiches Sithie 10 4,453 11-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Last Post: red1030