Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Exercise and back pain
I am bumping this post up as we are starting anew year and this is an important topic for those who have any type of injury.

EXERCISE
Stress and depression can be combated with exercise. If you cannot afford or have access to a gym/pool/PT there are things you can do at home or in a park or at a middle school track. Daily stretching is also important. Even when I was basically bed bound after my fusion I still did exercises from my bed and lifted a soup can to keep my arm strength in the beginning. The link I posted above has exercises for most injuries, but as always I recommend doing this only with a doctors supervision. I was lifting a soup can in the beginning laying down in my bed after my spinal fusion to show how slowly I started. 

EATING HEATLTHY
Eating healthy and avoiding sugar food that can cause increase in inflammation is also important and is having a healthy weight. I have learned since I am less active due to my injury I had to reduce my calorie intake. If you are on opiod type of medication increasing your fiber with eating vegetables and fruits can help. I bought a nutra bullet at Target around $49. to make blended smoothies but a regular blender will work.

SUNLIGHT
One of the most common types of depression is caused by lack of sunlight and vitamin D.

FRIENDS and FAMILY
Keeping in contact with friends and family is very important when you are out of work due to injury and illness. It becomes easy to lose touch and depression to creep in. Make it a habit to talk to and meet with your friends and family.

Keep yourself busy
Just because you have an injury does not mean you cannot do anything productive in life. If you cannot work I recommend doing something that brings some joy or reward to your spirit. Feeding your spirit is just as important as feeding your body.

There is a small group on this site who do volunteer work when they can. Others have taken college courses, or joined groups such as bible study, or became politically involved with changing workers compensation legislation in their state.

If anyone needs any guidance on how to go back to college or go to college for the first time feel free to send me a pm. If anyone needs any guidance on ideas on how to return to work with an injury or find employment I can also provide you with some resources. I know returning to work may not be possible for some, but returning to the best function is important.

I have found that what I listed above were things that I had to do to improve myself both physically and mentally. Doing these things can be difficult especially when dealing with issues of pain and depression. If others can list what has helped them with recovery on this string it may help others.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  why you should not get fusion surgery for plain back pain California_Help 5 3,772 10-01-2017, 05:21 PM
Last Post: dusty boy
  Weather or new exercise? Manley2 4 1,557 02-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Manley2
  Back from Pain Management UndercovrAngel 6 2,616 08-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Manley2
  back arm pain keeping me up backache 13 3,532 03-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Last Post: backache
  Exercise Routine collateraldamage5591 7 2,117 12-17-2007, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Gayle57
  Vickinat & low back pain Bummer Knees 14 5,231 12-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Treatments for Back Pain Bummer Knees 16 4,568 07-26-2007, 12:05 AM