Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Exercise and back pain
http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exe...-back-pain

I wanted to share this article, but more importantly it lists exercises that can help strengthen the back, and help with pain. While clicking the images, I realized many were the same I had in physical therapy, and what I do now at home. I hope someone else can also benefit from these.

In California, physical therapy is limited, and our doctors requests are subject to UR and IMR. Many injured workers are going without proper physical therapy. This does not mean you cannot take control and do physical therapy at home (with your doctor's approval and guidance).

For those interested, you can click the above link, and it has visual pictures of stretches and exercises. I have also been told that walking, holding in your stomach muscles can also strengthen the lower back muscles.

For many who become injured at work, almost all power/control of medical treatment is taken away. If you are not receiving physical therapy, I suggest asking your doctor about home exercises such as the one's in the article above.

Exercise is also important because it helps with depression by releasing endorphins in the brain, similar to what some medications do.

Diet is also important and goes hand in hand with exercise.Eating healthy and maintaining a healthy weight is something I have control of. It can be very difficult to maintain your weight with less activity after an injury. I realized I had to eat less calories as I was definitely less active. Something that has helped me is to write down everything I eat. It helps me keep track. Everyone is different and has their own tips that work for them.

I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Awesome information.

Physical therapy is an important part of recovery yet if the exercise are not done correctly and monitored by a professional if an injured body part is involved regression can happen.

http://www.spine-health.com/blog/make-ex...ealth-2015

I agree. Patients should consult with their doctors before attempting any exercise program.

Spinehealth is a great resource to find exercises for many injuries, and wanted to post this article about starting the new year with making healthy diet and exercise a priority to help relieve back pain.

While I cannot yet tolerate land PT, there are some light exercises and stretches I have found I can tolerate. I printed them out and showed them to my doctor before attempting. I did find all of these were the same I was showed at some point by a physical therapist. It is nice to view videos on this.

There are so many benefits to doing what you can as far as exercise. Eating healthy and maintaining a healthy weight with an injury is also important. I know this can be VERY challenging even for those without an injury, and much more difficult with an injury, but I still suggest to do what you can. Do not ever give up on yourself, not ever.

I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

I've talked with several people that I did PT with and asked about doing any kind of exercises that would be okay and not hurt my back. Not one had any. Best answers were to do the ones they had me doing during my water PT and they are really just some core stuff. It does help just no money for a membership to a pool

Manley some of the YMCAs and gyms have a scholarship fund for individuals unable to pay for a membership. Grants are written to fund the memberships.

My water PT has a wellness program that your doctor can write a script for.
Check and see if yours has the same wellness program

I think it is worth looking into. Have you had aqua therapy in the past so you would know basic excesses if you did get a pool membership?

I am also very limited to land exercises, but have found some I can do while laying on my back for example. After spinal surgery I literally started with a can of soup, raising it in the air while laying down. Anything you can do, even slight is needed to prevent atrophy.

Good luck to you.

Our Ymca has funds for people like us to get memberships at a discount and some times paid in full. It also has the wellness program, The only problem here with going and using the pool is unless your through aqua therapy you have to share the pool with as many as there is.. My dr thought it would be a bad idea for me to go and do on my own without any supervision but had offered to write script for therapy. After my surgery/s and just getting me back to walking they pushed me hard with a lot of ball excersises , and some were fine but they soon realized it was making my back worse.. They claim good stretching with the legs helps a lot with back pain, that's really about all I can do besides slow walks

You are right about stretching the legs. One of my times doing PT that is one of the big things he talked about. And that is one of the worse things I have. The back of my legs have always been tight and the guy at PT told me he could work them out but he said it would take him 9 months of working on them to do it. Guess they will just stay as they are

Bronco with a YMCA membership comes with 3 hours with a personal trainer free.

We had Cody work with a personal trainer this summer and setup a program for him.

Not sure if the trainer works in the pool but it is worth checking out.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  why you should not get fusion surgery for plain back pain California_Help 5 2,986 10-01-2017, 05:21 PM
Last Post: dusty boy
  Weather or new exercise? Manley2 4 1,441 02-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Manley2
  Back from Pain Management UndercovrAngel 6 2,405 08-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Manley2
  back arm pain keeping me up backache 13 3,386 03-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Last Post: backache
  Exercise Routine collateraldamage5591 7 2,036 12-17-2007, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Gayle57
  Vickinat & low back pain Bummer Knees 14 5,070 12-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Treatments for Back Pain Bummer Knees 16 4,404 07-26-2007, 12:05 AM