Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cancer survivors day
The first Sunday in June is National Cancer Survivors day. Last night the wife and I went to a local dinner held for survivors and their family. It was sponsored by the local hospitals and more. They hold this every year but this was the first time we went and I'm not sure if I knew about it in the past. Went to the dinner last night and we didn't know if we would even see anybody we knew, last year there was over 700 people there. They sat us down at a table for 8 with an older couple we didn't know but got to talking to them and found out they knew a couple of people we did so that was okay. A short time later a couple sat down next to my wife and in minutes they figured out we knew them because she taught our foster care classes about 10 years ago now. So we though what are the odds. The wife was talking to her and I sat there thinking and got to remembering how I had been in this very same room when I was about 8-10 years old with my dad. He had helped build this hotel back in the late 60's and that day he got called out there to fix a broken water line in this very room. I can remember it was a Sunday morning and the carpet was soaked with water, I can still remember that day well. I would go with dad to help when he got called after hours on repair jobs like that. While I was thinking about this and older couple walked up and asked if the last 2 seats at the table were taken and I said no since they were right across from me. He had on an Honor Flight shirt so I asked if he had taken one and when he said yes I thanked him for his service. We got to talking and in a short time he said well he should have introduced himself. As soon as he said his name I said I should know that name and why. We started talking trying to figure out why and he said my dads name. Even remembered my mom. He had called square dancing before I was even born where my mom and dad went and even took me when I was very young, but I do remember wanting to go and mom and dad did take me at least once. We sat and talked the rest of the night until the speaker for the evening started. He even said we talked so much we let out food get cold. We were eating it as we talked but not very fast. As we all went to leave I said well maybe we will see you here next year. He said well I turn 91 next week an I said well my dads birthday is the 25th so we figured their birthdays were less then two weeks apart but my dad was a year older.
Sorry for a long story but here I went to a dinner thinking it would be nice but that the wife and I would sit and eat and it would be okay. And the night turned out to be such a nice evening. Was something I needed for sure. I'm sore this morning from sitting in the chair I did but pain meds and pain patches helped me make it thru the night but paying for it this morning. But I would not have changed the evening for anything. Thanks for letting me share a good time, it seems like we have so few of these

(06-06-2014, 10:12 AM)Manley2 Wrote: The first Sunday in June is National Cancer Survivors day. Last night the wife and I went to a local dinner held for survivors and their family. It was sponsored by the local hospitals and more. They hold this every year but this was the first time we went and I'm not sure if I knew about it in the past. Went to the dinner last night and we didn't know if we would even see anybody we knew, last year there was over 700 people there. They sat us down at a table for 8 with an older couple we didn't know but got to talking to them and found out they knew a couple of people we did so that was okay. A short time later a couple sat down next to my wife and in minutes they figured out we knew them because she taught our foster care classes about 10 years ago now. So we though what are the odds. The wife was talking to her and I sat there thinking and got to remembering how I had been in this very same room when I was about 8-10 years old with my dad. He had helped build this hotel back in the late 60's and that day he got called out there to fix a broken water line in this very room. I can remember it was a Sunday morning and the carpet was soaked with water, I can still remember that day well. I would go with dad to help when he got called after hours on repair jobs like that. While I was thinking about this and older couple walked up and asked if the last 2 seats at the table were taken and I said no since they were right across from me. He had on an Honor Flight shirt so I asked if he had taken one and when he said yes I thanked him for his service. We got to talking and in a short time he said well he should have introduced himself. As soon as he said his name I said I should know that name and why. We started talking trying to figure out why and he said my dads name. Even remembered my mom. He had called square dancing before I was even born where my mom and dad went and even took me when I was very young, but I do remember wanting to go and mom and dad did take me at least once. We sat and talked the rest of the night until the speaker for the evening started. He even said we talked so much we let out food get cold. We were eating it as we talked but not very fast. As we all went to leave I said well maybe we will see you here next year. He said well I turn 91 next week an I said well my dads birthday is the 25th so we figured their birthdays were less then two weeks apart but my dad was a year older.
Sorry for a long story but here I went to a dinner thinking it would be nice but that the wife and I would sit and eat and it would be okay. And the night turned out to be such a nice evening. Was something I needed for sure. I'm sore this morning from sitting in the chair I did but pain meds and pain patches helped me make it thru the night but paying for it this morning. But I would not have changed the evening for anything. Thanks for letting me share a good time, it seems like we have so few of these

Sounds like you had a delightful evening. It's a very small world!

Yes it is. Like I said we were talking when when we walked in the door that we didn't know if we would even see anybody we knew and then this happened. Sure made my day

(06-06-2014, 06:29 PM)Manley2 Wrote: Yes it is. Like I said we were talking when when we walked in the door that we didn't know if we would even see anybody we knew and then this happened. Sure made my day

Those moments are blessings in disguise Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fighting cancer dusty boy 12 5,099 09-13-2017, 06:46 PM
Last Post: dusty boy
  Skin cancer & scar tissue Bummer Knees 27 17,125 06-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Last Post: Cycler
  Recheck of skin cancer Bummer Knees 6 3,047 10-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Last Post: red1030
  Update on skin cancer Bummer Knees 7 4,088 03-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Last Post: buildergirl1973
  Cancer Diagnosis Bummer Knees 16 7,537 11-20-2008, 02:21 PM