Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pain and suffering
(01-17-2018, 06:16 PM)California_Help Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 04:07 AM)Gabriel Wrote: Got hurt at work 3 months ago. Hit my head and neck went to the hospital got diagnosed with a concussion. Had pain the next day in my neck and burning in my arm and shoulder. Went to my regular doctor did an MRI and found I have herniated disc in my c5-c6 . 2 bulging disc at c3-4 c4-5. The pain is like nothing I ever felt before. My regular doctor sent me to a neurosurgeon. He wants to do surgery. But first I have to do shots and therapy. I have no issue with that. My question/issue is I have been depressed about this. I lost my son a year ago and now this. Should wc pay for me to go see a psych doctor for this depression? I can't sleep at night on top of the pain in my neck, arm and shoulder, I have this serious migranes that makes me wish I wasn't born. Now I have depression taking over!

I am sorry for your loss and what you are going through.

Every state has different rules, so listing your state will be helpful.

In my state you can include a psych claim, but some injured workers have stated it is stressful as you are dealing with work comp and this is entirely different than private insurance. It is up to you if you want to make a stress claim through work comp or use private insurance. You have some options. 1171 wrote it perfectly above about why it is important to get treatment for this. 

I highly recommend getting one or two other opinions before having a spinal surgery. It is a good idea when you go to places to get any type of scan to ask for a copy of the scan and the report and keep your own file for these things. Asking the surgeon for a copy of his report can also be helpful if you decide to get another opinion as there are many different types of spinal surgeries, and many different types of approaches to surgery. 

Is your doctor giving you anything to control your headache pain? Migraines can be horrific. I know. I wonder if a pain management doctor may be helpful. 

I also recommend discussing any injections into your spinal cord with your doctor on the risks. I have no idea what type of injection he is proposing. You can google whatever he is recommending and put cervical spine after it and get a better if you are interested.

My state is Louisiana. I do have copies of everything. No to sure on the injections yet I was told it goes in the disc. I had one in the back of my head and it didn't help. I was told this one is called epidural. I called my doctors nurse the and asked about the depression issue and she said she will ask the doctor and if ok she will send a 1010 Wc was ok at first with approving stuff but slowed down once doctor put possible surgery in my report. The last go around was quick so idk what to think.

I have thought a lot about all of this in my line of work I won't be able to work like this. My doctor said I should get better from surgery but after reading a lot of forms on this site idk what to think. My doctor who referred me to this neurosurgeon has been a doctor of mine for a few years and I trust him.

The other thing is he said I may have to get out that line of work no matter what I do.Which makes this really hard for me. I made good money now I'm emptying my saving that I had in place to buy a house. This whole thing is really stressful

(01-17-2018, 09:07 PM)Gabriel Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 04:07 AM)Gabriel Wrote: Got hurt at work 3 months ago. Hit my head and neck went to the hospital got diagnosed with a concussion. Had pain the next day in my neck and burning in my arm and shoulder. Went to my regular doctor did an MRI and found I have herniated disc in my c5-c6 . 2 bulging disc at c3-4 c4-5. The pain is like nothing I ever felt before. My regular doctor sent me to a neurosurgeon. He wants to do surgery. But first I have to do shots and therapy. I have no issue with that. My question/issue is I have been depressed about this. I lost my son a year ago and now this. Should wc pay for me to go see a psych doctor for this depression? I can't sleep at night on top of the pain in my neck, arm and shoulder, I have this serious migranes that makes me wish I wasn't born. Now I have depression taking over!

In my state you can include a psych claim, but some injured workers have stated it is stressful as you are dealing with work comp and this is entirely different than private insurance. It is up to you if you want to make a stress claim through work comp or use private insurance. You have some options. 1171 wrote it perfectly above about why it is important to get treatment for this. 

I highly recommend getting one or two other opinions before having a spinal surgery. It is a good idea when you go to places to get any type of scan to ask for a copy of the scan and the report and keep your own file for these things. Asking the surgeon for a copy of his report can also be helpful if you decide to get another opinion as there are many different types of spinal surgeries, and many different types of approaches to surgery. 

Is your doctor giving you anything to control your headache pain? Migraines can be horrific. I know. I wonder if a pain management doctor may be helpful. 

I also recommend discussing any injections into your spinal cord with your doctor on the risks. I have no idea what type of injection he is proposing. You can google whatever he is recommending and put cervical spine after it and get a better if you are interested.

My state is Louisiana.  I do have copies of everything. No to sure on the injections yet I was told it goes in the disc. I had one in the back of my head and it didn't help. I was told this one is called epidural. I called my doctors nurse the and asked about the depression issue and she said she will ask the doctor and if ok she will send a 1010 Wc was ok at first with approving stuff but slowed down once doctor put possible surgery in my report. The last go around was quick so idk what to think.

I have thought a lot about all of this in my line of work I won't be able to work like this. My doctor said I should get better from surgery but after reading a lot of forms on this site idk what to think. My doctor who referred me to this neurosurgeon has been a doctor of mine for a few years and I trust him.

The other thing is he said I may have to get out that line of work no matter what I do.Which makes this really hard for me. I made good money now I'm emptying my saving that I had in place to buy a house. This whole thing is really stressful

What others have gone through does not mean you will have a bad result. Getting a few other opinions is always a good idea before having any surgery. Best of luck to you.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/83843...tion-side/
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

(01-17-2018, 09:56 PM)California_Help Wrote:

My state is Louisiana.  I do have copies of everything. No to sure on the injections yet I was told it goes in the disc. I had one in the back of my head and it didn't help. I was told this one is called epidural. I called my doctors nurse the and asked about the depression issue and she said she will ask the doctor and if ok she will send a 1010 Wc was ok at first with approving stuff but slowed down once doctor put possible surgery in my report. The last go around was quick so idk what to think.

What others have gone through does not mean you will have a bad result. Getting a few other opinions is always a good idea before having any surgery. Best of luck to you.

Your right but it does make you wonder how u will turn out after . Thanks .

(01-17-2018, 11:31 PM)Gabriel Wrote:

You are correct. I included a link to cervical epidurals so you can be more aware of what they are attempting and possible complications. It is not a simple shot.

There are risks from any surgery. This is why getting a second opinion as well as having all information as to possible about risks and outcomes is important. It is not clear from your post what type of cervical surgery he is recommending. The spectrum is wide and risks and possible complications increase with certain surgeries. I hope I am not scaring you, it is just a good idea to have all information to have informed consent and make the best decision for you. Again, what some of the others have been through on this site does not mean you will have the same bad result. There are some on this site who had improvement too.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

(01-18-2018, 01:59 PM)California_Help Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 06:16 PM)California_Help Wrote: I am sorry for your loss and what you are going through.

You are correct. I included a link to cervical epidurals so you can be more aware of what they are attempting and possible complications. It is not a simple shot.

There are risks from any surgery. This is why getting a second opinion as well as having all information as to possible about risks and outcomes is important. It is not clear from your post what type of cervical surgery he is recommending. The spectrum is wide and risks and possible complications increase with certain surgeries. I hope I am not scaring you, it is just a good idea to have all information to have informed consent and make the best decision for you. Again, what some of the others have been through on this site does not mean you will have the same bad result. There are some on this site who had improvement too.

No if anything you are helping , I know its not a simple shot I had a friend get one and he said all it did was cause pain and i will definitely view the link. The surgery is quite complicated . He's says its between two . One is a fusion the other is removing 2 disc and vertebrae and replacing it with artificial disc and either hip bone or graph. My bone in my neck is facing the wrong way that why he is saying that surgery.His thinking is if the shot helps do fusion if not do the more major surgery. Sometimes i feel like calling my lawyer and saying tell them make me a offer and walk away. My son who pasted had many surgeries in his little short life and some helped and some didn't . I know nothing is promised but I am so confused about all of this . I know im all over the place with my response and I apologize . Today's a bad day Sad.

(01-18-2018, 06:01 PM)Gabriel Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 09:07 PM)Gabriel Wrote: My state is Louisiana.  I do have copies of everything. No to sure on the injections yet I was told it goes in the disc. I had one in the back of my head and it didn't help. I was told this one is called epidural. I called my doctors nurse the and asked about the depression issue and she said she will ask the doctor and if ok she will send a 1010 Wc was ok at first with approving stuff but slowed down once doctor put possible surgery in my report. The last go around was quick so idk what to think.

No if anything you are helping , I know its not a simple shot I had a friend get one and he said all it did was cause pain and i will definitely view the link. The surgery is quite complicated . He's says its between two . One is a fusion the other is removing 2 disc and vertebrae and replacing it with artificial disc and either hip bone or graph. My bone in my neck is facing the wrong way that why he is saying that surgery.His thinking is if the shot helps do fusion if not do the more major surgery. Sometimes i feel like calling my lawyer and saying tell them make me a offer and walk away. My son who pasted had many surgeries in his little short life and some helped and some didn't . I know nothing is promised but I am so confused about all of this . I know im all over the place with my response and I apologize . Today's a bad day Sad.
Again, I hope I am not adding to your confusion. I am not a doctor and my opinion is just that of another patient. You are not all over the place.

I do know there is a big difference between a fusion where they remove the disc and a fusion where they remove the vertebrae and that is called a corpectomy. From what I read corpectomy should only be done when a vertebrae is damaged or diseased. It sounds like your condition is complex. A vertebrae is the bones in your back that you see on x-rays and the disc is the softer tissue in between. Again, I would highly recommend getting another consult on your own with a Neurosurgeon of the spine. You may very well need a corpectomy but it is always a good idea to get another opinion. There are also big differences on what devices they use during a corpectomy, but if you want I will do my best to look up any devices for you and provide as much information I can for any surgery you have, if you would like. Can I ask if you have any numbness going down your arm or hands or is it just pain? 

Sorry about your son and that you are having a bad day. Stay strong.

(01-18-2018, 09:24 PM)California_Help Wrote:
(01-18-2018, 06:01 PM)Gabriel Wrote:
(01-17-2018, 09:56 PM)California_Help Wrote: What others have gone through does not mean you will have a bad result. Getting a few other opinions is always a good idea before having any surgery. Best of luck to you.

Again, I hope I am not adding to your confusion. I am not a doctor and my opinion is just that of another patient. You are not all over the place.

I do know there is a big difference between a fusion where they remove the disc and a fusion where they remove the vertebrae and that is called a corpectomy. From what I read corpectomy should only be done when a vertebrae is damaged or diseased. It sounds like your condition is complex. A vertebrae is the bones in your back that you see on x-rays and the disc is the softer tissue in between. Again, I would highly recommend getting another consult on your own with a Neurosurgeon of the spine. You may very well need a corpectomy but it is always a good idea to get another opinion. There are also big differences on what devices they use during a corpectomy, but if you want I will do my best to look up any devices for you and provide as much information I can for any surgery you have, if you would like. Can I ask if you have any numbness going down your arm or hands or is it just pain? 

Sorry about your son and that you are having a bad day. Stay strong.

Yes i have numbness in my thumb index finger and middle finger . A lot of my pain is in the neck on the right side , in the shoulder and down the back. It goes into my arm sometimes but i find it goes in the shoulder more but numbness and coldness in my arm and hand. I also have a pain that goes up into my head its called occipital neuralgia. I got a shot for this last week didn't do much good.

I would like to go get a second option on this but I cant pay to go and was told i would have to not sure if this is true .

The doctor said the surgery you referred to as corpectomy to fix the disc and the curve of the neck . He said this can happen when u herniate a disc. Kinda scared of that one .Sorry I couldn't remember what it was called the meds Im on have me loopy and combined with the lack of sleep I forget a lot .I don't think the concussion helped either.

If you don't mind I will take any info you can help me with . I am young compared to a lot on this site . Late 20s and I am scared for my future.

O I do have good news my doctor is sending me to a phsc doctor for depression . They send form sometime this week waiting to hear back.

Hopefully you'll begin to make real progress on your emotional well being with a positive effect on dealing with the pain.
Be well.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(01-18-2018, 11:34 PM)1171 Wrote: Hopefully you'll begin to make real progress on your emotional well being with a positive effect on dealing with the pain.
Be well.

Thank you .

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CA how to protect third party pain and suffering settlement from carrier liens? EJL 2 1,938 05-22-2016, 07:53 AM
Last Post: sergios
  Suffering psych client ssaattyca 4 3,361 02-16-2010, 12:38 PM
Last Post: 1171
Question Compensation and recovery for pain and suffering Mark 5 6,858 07-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Last Post: Mark