Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amputated finger
I am a plumbers helper, I was at a job site using a machine used to unclog drains and lines, it has a long cable that goes into the lines, the cable got wrapped around my hand, the last three fingers to be exact and I pulled my hand, when I looked down I noticed blood everywhere so I went to grab my hand and realized the machine had cut off my right hand ring finger, I'm trying to find out is there anything I can do as far as getting an attorney...please help...
By the way this happened in Texas

there are many attys in texas that handle workers comp.
https://www.wilg.org/index.cfm?pg=publicdirectory
or
http://www.avvo.com/free-legal-advice/Wo...?loc=texas

you don't need an atty to file a claim or get benefits
http://www.tdi.texas.gov/wc/employee/index.html
Signature/Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information.........

I just feel like I should be compensated something, I lost a finger, on company time, I'm just trying to find out would I have a case, would it be worth it, does workers comp pay a certain amount for losing a body part..how does this work, never had to deal with something like this.

the link I posted to the benefit page outlines what the law mandates that comp insurance pay to those injured on the job.
yes, Impairment income benefits are paid for permanent impairments like the loss of a finger.
http://www.tdi.texas.gov/wc/employee/benefits.html

here are four types of workers' compensation benefits:

Income benefits (other than impairment income benefits) replace a portion of any wages you lose because of a work-related injury or illness.
Income benefits include:
temporary income benefits (TIBs); impairment income benefits (IIBs); spplemental income benefits (SIBs); and lifetime income benefits (LIBs).
Medical benefits benefits pay necessary medical care to treat your work-related injury or illness.
Burial benefits pay for some of the deceased employee's funeral expenses to the person who paid the funeral expenses.
Death benefits replace a portion of lost family income for eligible family members of employees killed on the job.

do you know if your employer has workers comp insurance coverage?
if so, you should read about the benefits from the links supplied.

did you report the injury?
did your employer file a claim?
did you contact the carrier?
did they contact you?
did you go to the doctor?
did they file a claim?
when did the injury happen?
what did the employer say about insurance?
were you notified there was no coverage?
has anything happened since you were injured.

it's difficult to help when you haven't provided much about what has been done already.

Signature/Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information.........

The only thing I know that has been done is that workers comp papers have been sent, but other than that I don't think anything else has been done
Now this just happen July 16th 2013 and the doctor wants me to go back to work, I tried explaining to him that I'm still in a lot of pain, and I explained that I'm a plumber everything I do I do with my hands, and the boss lady has said that there's really nothing for me to do..this is where I'm stuck, I'm gonna start staying behind on bills because she says there's nothing for me to do at work but yet the doctor released me to work...

generally it takes 2 weeks from the time the carrier is notified to start disability payments.
your impairment can't be paid until healing is complete and a rating done.
you can request a change of doctors or a second opinion.
Signature/Reminder :

And if I decided to get an attorney and try to get something for me losing my finger on company time with their machine..would that change anything
Who do we have to talk to, to get a second opinion

can't predict that.
there's a schedule for impairments and an atty can't change it.
but it sounds like you'll feel better having an atty making sure you get what the law allows.
any payments for impairments has to be approved and checked for accuracy by the comp court whether you have an atty or not.
Signature/Reminder :

Ok..thank you so much for your time and advice Smile

Seems to me you benefit is going to be pretty much set by the rules and the only thing an atty is going to do is take some of your money. I understand you want to make sure you get what is coming to you but just be careful before signing up with a lawyer. Be sure they are going to add something to your case and not just get a check

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Impairment rating for missing middle finger tip ky tonyayounger72 2 333 03-16-2018, 12:48 PM
Last Post: 1171
  CT - Full-Thickness Laceration Of the left ring finger -Workmans Comp Procedures? systemviper 4 1,208 11-07-2017, 08:30 PM
Last Post: bugmann
  partial amputation of pinky finger G_Smith 2 3,606 02-15-2015, 01:02 PM
Sad Company negligence cost my index finger bigtruckhank 1 3,413 10-08-2014, 07:56 PM
  Lost Index finger on right hand melglad 6 8,921 10-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Last Post: Timothy Belt
  Hand Injury Involving Middle Finger Tendon Razortceps 1 9,061 02-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Sad Lost a finger at work scratchman28 7 20,516 12-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Last Post: sonny1
  Indiana-Index Finger-Settlement bradgt04 4 19,076 01-20-2011, 05:20 PM
Last Post: bradgt04
  amputated pinky andshawn21 3 3,372 07-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Last Post: andshawn21
  Finger nerve damage worker2012 3 13,357 09-07-2009, 11:00 AM