Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can I fire my lawyer or contact insurance carrier if he refuses?
HI everyone. I'm here in NY for thoughts, ideas and suggestions. I have made it through the frustrating and degrading workmen compensation process due to a permanent work related injury. My lawyer contacted me about 6 weeks ago to inform me that he was offered a settement by the insurance carrier on my case. I informed him to take it and let's get the offer for me to sign. I have tried to have him call me back for the last 6 weeks, but no response. Today, I spoke to his partner who informed me that he sent back a counter offer for 50,000 more. My agency is self employed and they do not have large sums of money to play with or give to me. I left several messages for my lawyer that it is NOT in my best interest to counter and agree to the original sum that was offered to me. WHat can I legally do? He is NOT returning phone calls or faxes. Can I contact the insurance carrier and move forward with them and still just give him his percent? Is there anything I can do? Thank you

the partner should have explained the process.
contact the state bar and file a complaint.
http://www.nysba.org/AM/Template.cfm?Sec...isplay.cfm
contact other attys
choose one.
the new atty will file the necessary paperwork.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

do not fire him !! unless you want to go through all of it again I would stay with him. also, you are not allowed to contact anyone involved with your case because you are already being represented by an attorney. if you can afford to, sit back and relax. it seems your lawyer is either wanting more money for himself, or he really is looking out for you by asking for more. I went through this crap already and watch out for the medical after you settle. make sure you are covered...

do not fire him !! unless you want to go through all of it again I would stay with him. also, you are not allowed to contact anyone involved with your case because you are already being represented by an attorney. if you can afford to, sit back and relax. it seems your lawyer is either wanting more money for himself, or he really is looking out for you by asking for more. I went through this crap already and watch out for the medical after you settle. make sure you are covered...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will WC carrier pay for out of state hotel (CA) kibby 65 11,654 05-21-2018, 03:53 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Getting Tired Of My Ins. Carrier.... tbear6410 135 36,038 04-14-2018, 03:12 PM
Last Post: tbear6410
  California WC, Adjuster refuses to fill UR Certified Meds. Billy Miller 9 1,037 04-13-2018, 08:16 PM
Last Post: Billy Miller
  CA how to protect third party pain and suffering settlement from carrier liens? EJL 2 1,930 05-22-2016, 07:53 AM
Last Post: sergios
  Billing Forms For Insurance Carrier champmed 2 1,912 04-15-2016, 02:13 PM
Last Post: Timothy Belt
  I filed 3 business days ago... their carrier wants to talk already! Good or bad sign? AMSchmitt79 6 3,083 04-06-2016, 08:18 PM
Last Post: 1171
Toungue CA - IC Refuses Treatment That IMR Found Medically Necessary SickOfTheProcess 4 4,082 05-02-2014, 09:30 PM
Last Post: kev_b
  Can carrier ask for TTD credit in settlement- CA Jack 2 3,500 12-05-2013, 02:56 AM
Last Post: dolphins
  carrier refusing to fill prescription i have had for 4 years vickijperks 5 5,401 11-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Last Post: ChimarenTaylor
  strong armed by WC carrier kaohu69 5 5,770 08-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees