Workers Compensation - Workmans Comp Service Center

Current time: 05-03-2015, 03:58 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Important Notice: We have deployed some new anti-spam measures that have enabled us to once again allow registration with a simple email verification. However, please do not hesitate to report suspected spam threads should they arise.

Spammers take note - your posts, if successful, will not last here. Our community is vigilant in identifying and reporting spam posts for IMMEDIATE removal. Don't waste your time!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
knee injury at work
09-15-2012, 05:00 PM (This post was last modified: 09-19-2012 11:59 PM by emora92.)
Question knee injury at work
Well I've been trying to get answers for a while now, didn't know who to ask them to. Alright so, I got injured at work July 11th 2012. O did I report and work took me to an immediate care clinic. Once there, they had me see an specific Dr. which did some x-rays and right away said ice and you can go back to work later today, he gave me a shot of naproxen and what I didn't get, he also gave me crutches, he diagnosed me with a sprained knee. A van from work when to pick me up, I went straight to hr and the security coordinator said I couldn't go back to work if o was on crutches. Besides the shift was over. He told me to go home and rest and if I could, go tomorrow. Well the next morning I woke up and my foot was incredibly swollen and I had a lot of pain, I couldn't even stand. So I called and said I couldn't work, later they called and said to go back to the same clinic. When I arrived they were unsure if they could treat me, because the doctor that handled these cases wasn't there. Eventually they let me see another Dr. This time she said it seemed as if I had some fractures and that was causing the pain. She put me in a immobilizer and told me to stay of work till the follow up 2 days from then. I went to the follow up, I saw a different Dr. And again a different diagnosis he said I might have a torn tendon and told me to schedule an appointment at a Dr they would differ me to. At this point I called workers comp, and I asked if I could see my own Dr. They agreed and my Dr said it would be best to see an orthopedic Dr. I began seeing him he assigned physical therapy after seeing the MRI which showed a shifted knee. After 4 weeks I still had a lot of swelling and pain, he stopped physical therapy, and said I needed arthoroscopic knee surgery, it took a week for workers comp to approve it but they did. I am now recovering from surgery and will soon begin physical therapy,but have now began getting calls from a workers comp nurse that says she is my medical case manager and to address her for any medical question, authorization, or medical treatment. What should I do? Is it time I get a lawyer? Should I get a lawyer? It will be 3 months since the injury this 11th of august. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you all for taking time to respond, I would like to add that I'm in Illinois.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-15-2012, 07:38 PM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2012 07:44 PM by 1171.)
RE: knee injury at work
it sounds like you don't want to work with the case manager.
why?
what did she say when you told your opinion?

each state had different rules. yours may have some on case managers and patient rights. what does yours say?
what do you want an atty to do for you?
there is a search feature on this site. search for similar posts to help you focus on what you want.
09-15-2012, 07:41 PM
(09-15-2012 07:38 PM)1171 Wrote:  why don't you want to work with the case manager?

It's not that I don't, but right away she said my goal is to get you back to work as soon as possible even if its light duty. I've been reading about bad experiences with these nurses.
09-15-2012, 07:48 PM
are you saying you don't want to go back to work?
09-15-2012, 07:50 PM
No where near what I said. All I'm saying is that at this moment I am still recovering from surgery, I even still have the stitches on. I don't mind working, I want to go back, but I don't think its an appropriate time yet.
09-15-2012, 08:46 PM
I see.
you probably should contact some attys.
09-16-2012, 02:38 AM
Before you go back to work. The treating dr. is going to have to release you to go back to work. Probably on light duty. At that point and time. Your choices are limited. You either go back to work and see what happens medically or you don't. If you don't, then the IC is in the position to close the claim based on you being non-compliant.

The only thing that is going to keep you from having to back to work is going to be the medical oppinion of another dr.

As 1171 said " each state has thier own rules and regs.. Without knowing yours. The info we give will only be general information. Meaning nothing state specific.

8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. Jesus died for our sins. Soilders died for our freedom.
09-17-2012, 10:15 AM
State would be helpful. I am in PA, and I despise nurse case managers. In my opinion, their only purpose is to force injured workers back to work before they are ready. I get rid of them as soon as I get involved since in PA the carrier has no right to have them directly involved. They can have them, but they don't have a right to contact the doctors or the injured worker. The law may be different in your state.
09-17-2012, 10:15 AM
State would be helpful. I am in PA, and I despise nurse case managers. In my opinion, their only purpose is to force injured workers back to work before they are ready. I get rid of them as soon as I get involved since in PA the carrier has no right to have them directly involved. They can have them, but they don't have a right to contact the doctors or the injured worker. The law may be different in your state.
09-17-2012, 09:52 PM
some NCMs are good they can get tests and meds done faster than on your own....some are the Devils own playmate just remember who they work for and keep your mouth reined in when they are around....if you are getting your TTD checks on time and all your tests done in a timely manner you dont need a lawyer....but if you are getting close to getting done you need to start interviewing several and picking the one you trust

........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  questions about knee injury in NJ jeter06emt 3 433 03-18-2015 09:55 PM
Last Post: WCAdjuster
  can i get a second surgery from work comp due to re-injury during post -op linemanmjk 4 727 02-24-2015 12:29 AM
Last Post: linemanmjk
  Returnig to work after an injury California_Help 2 2,796 12-14-2014 02:24 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Injury while out on work comp Ny state chris T 1 695 12-07-2014 12:51 PM
Last Post: 1171
  work injury Kgirl 12 6,547 10-19-2014 01:47 PM
Last Post: Timothy Belt
  Knee Injury in SC. Questions.. Pangaman 5 1,060 08-13-2014 09:57 PM
Last Post: Scooter123
Wink Back injury from work 2011 now having nerve damage Rebecca 8 4,316 04-18-2014 05:15 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Work injury - shoulder Help! DragonSword 6 2,071 03-21-2014 01:50 PM
Last Post: DragonSword
  injury at work or personal injury? missmary52 3 1,505 02-28-2014 04:04 PM
Last Post: Manley2
  Work Injury in Texas carahrozell 1 1,294 11-22-2013 12:25 PM
Last Post: 1171