Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Summer Garden
In the summer I enjoy going out on my sun deck and picking a pepper or tomato for lunch from one of my container garden plants.

Hubby has planted an in-ground garden with a variety of vegetables.

Just wondering who else has gardens this year and how are they doing.

I have a very small one...Just to much for me this year
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

My wife started one this year tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, sunflowers.. So far so good, except for the sunflowers the bunny wanted them more than us : ) !!!!

Last year my container gardern did very little it was just to hot and dry in Kansas.

I have picked a few tomatos, peppers, and onions so far this year.

Just wondering if anyone else is having any luck with their gardens this year.

Our weather has been off the wall this year, 2 days of 80's and then yesterday,,,,,frost.. We are really lacking rain, our lawns are yellow or burnt... I still have the peter peppers in the inside windows, but as far as anything else, havnt planted this year...

I hope you get some peppers from them Bronco

I have never done canning before but wanting to learn this year. Between the container garden and the inground garden we are going to have a large crop this summer.

canning is easy BK and your honeys man cave is set up to be a great canning kitchen....all you need to know is on the web... or maybe a relative will come teach you.I love it and having it in the winter is so nice....

(06-16-2012, 02:05 PM)jayne Wrote: I hope you get some peppers from them Bronco

Me too, What size pots did you put yours in..? I have to take them out of the starter pots now that its warm enough here... They are about 8 inches now and very leafy. Every day I rotate them in the window and seems to have worked out well.

My Daddy always had a 3 acre garden; 2 of the Acres was for corn for our hogs. We picked our field corn for ourselves before we allowed 90% of it to dry on the stalk. We then picked it,took it to a barn and spent several days taking the shucks off then removing the corn with a hand crank device that was attached to a big wooden box, That hand crank dated back to the 19 Century.

There was 6 kids in my family. We were dirt poor and we depended on that garden, wild game and livestock for our food. We had laying hens for eggs.

We slaughtered our chickens and some of our hogs.

I tried raising a garden but failed miserably due to whitetail deer and really bad soil. I now go to the farmers market for fresh Louisiana produce.

Through the grace of God, My family has never had to depend on a garden for survival like I did; I do not wish this on anyone. One of my daughters live in downtown Frisco, Texas and they have the most beautiful back yard small garden. I want nothing to do with a garden anymore or Hogs or cows. LOL

I make my purchases at Brookshires and Wal Marts and the local Farmers Market and I live big time in the Country. We pipe sunshine here located on the Loutre Bottom

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ahhh summer jayne 5 4,760 09-07-2018, 02:40 AM
Last Post: elmaasheley147
  Summer Program is going strong. Bummer Knees 1 1,489 06-09-2013, 09:42 PM
Last Post: bodybuilder1958
  Anyone canning this summer? Bummer Knees 5 3,148 07-19-2012, 12:08 AM
Last Post: jayne
  The summer program I run Bummer Knees 0 1,348 04-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  summer weather Bummer Knees 4 2,471 07-11-2011, 12:51 AM
Last Post: sweet tooth