• Please excuse our dust
  • We are continuing the redesign of our forums
  • We'll get there eventually!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
functional capacity evaluation
Lilly, point well made. And that is why the FCE is an objective test.

It's to evaluate one as to what they might, or possibly can do. It isn't meaning you can perform those functions at an 8 hour day, 5 or 6 days a week. it means it might be possible. And that is why, one needs to see their treating doctor after such FCE and returning work, so you or anyone can be re-evaluated and possible restritions added and removed as time goes on.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

HI BB,
Do they automatically send you back to the MD for restriction updates...or is this something one does to CYA ?
LillySmile
Injured worker, & tired of it all! I'm too old for games!!

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!

lilly, they most likely would never send one back to the Doctor, it is something you need to request that your employer return you the doctor, for you increased in pain. Then you detail that information to the doctor. but if you have to pay the doctor, then it's money well spent too. yes it's a CYA issue too.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Thank you all for the helpful information. I would like to know more about the computerized generated report.
Is that something I have to request and pay for? Also if I am required to lift boxes, will they tell me how many pounds the weights are in the box?
Oh, by the way I live in Virginia, so I don't know how the laws differ here. Once again thanks for the insight on these FCE.

When I had both of my fce's, the boxes had thier weight listed in the box. So when weight was added to the box they only had to add the amount of the box to that. If you don't see the weight listed in or on the box, simply ask " how much was that " after your first lift.

You stated you got a letter. You did not say who sent the letter. If it is from the ic, call the plac they are sending you to and ask them about the computer generated report. If they don't do it, call around and find a place that does, then call the ic and request a change of places. My first fce did not do it. I spoke with my dr. prior to the second one. He told me, " If I can find a place that does it, that is where he will send me ". Hence no out of pocket exspence.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. Jesus died for our sins. Soilders died for our freedom.

(09-05-2007, 03:14 AM)Wink Wrote: painiz2much,
Below are a few quotes about the computer generated FCE ( Functional Capacity Evaluation ), which is the way to go--none of that ancient stuff! Also on the search bar above you can type in FCE or Functional Capacity Evaluation which will take you to helpful messages regarding FCE's. You should also search the Archived Forum. Also, here are some links supplied by Bad Boy regarding this type of FCE:
http://www.valparint.com/joule.htm
http://www.occuhand.com/fce.html

Besides the computer generated FCE, one of the most important tips I can tell you is to STOP the moment you experience any hint of elevated pain during the exam. Don't push yourself beyond your limits no matter what. Don't let anyone tell you to do so. All you should do is the best you are capable of. Period. It's advisable, too, like AQA said in so many words, not to take any meds prior to the FCE. You want to get a true reading, see?

QUOTES from the past:
Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:Wink, just so you know. One of my WC Attorney friends called today to see how I was, and what was new with me. He isn't my Attorney, but a friend I help out from time to time. A good Attorney, but after 25 years in business has been getting selective now. Which is still ok. We talked about the Computer Operated FCE you told me you had done, then I went and had mine done. I gave him the complete information about it, and where I had mine done. I explained how it's the best FCE a IW could ever get. He loves it. I sold him on it. He looked up the placed I went to, and called me back, and thanked me for this information. He didn't know the Computer Operated ones where as good as they claimed to be, till we talked, and he called them. Needless to say, 3 more Attorneys called me afterwards, all WC Attorneys. They asked if they all, plus my friend, could see my copy of the Computer Operated FCE. I said sure, if they would sign a letter stating it would never be released by them till my name and my information was off the report papers. They faxed the letter to me. I faxed them the 53 pages today. Pat yourself on the back buddy, we are making head way with this FCE now. Atleast in ILLINOIS that is....

wink Wrote:Bad Boy~
That's great! I'm happy those lawyers are taking notice. I, for one, KNOW that the Computer Generated FCE proved beyond a shadow of any doubt my aches, pains, what I could do and what I couldn't do. There was no room left whatsoever for the IC to squirmy up a defense against my true disability. As you and I factfully know, this type of FCE will either prove one is malingering or prove one is not. And in our defense, this was one of the most necessary and important procedures taken to make our cases more sound, solid and true.

Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:I don't think it was being aware of it so much. It was the way I talked about the difference between a Human being paid by the IC, compared to the IC paying for a Computer to do the thinking, which is almost mistake free then, is what they were after more. They were impressed after hearing how the control factor is then removed. But then again, if a person then shows good results, nothing then can be done. It's almost a no-fault system, compared to human error and human judgement, and human opinion, that is selling them.

Hey B/B, Im new hear but not new to this predicument we all share. Ive been off work 12 years and have had a couple of FCE's that were as bogus as it was painful. I was offered a permanent total disability rating if I would not sue them for the hepatitis C I have and now, 4 years after the settlement, and another three part back surgery, they want another FCE and Im having trouble getting my doctors to do anything at all but drag their feet.What are your thoughts on this........jim

This particular thread is over 4 years old. Bad Boy has not posted since 9/2010.
If you have reached a settlement, how can the IC come back on you?

With my settlement, I am 100% not involved with the WC IC anymore.Maybe your problem is the type of settlement you have. I really have trouble understanding your PTD rating and you say you have settled.

If the IC is able to continue to hound you, I would go for a C&R settlement with a good WC Attorney involved. I guess this is a choice in Alabama.

I had a couple of FCE's; The last one I think did carry some weight in my settlement. I did take my meds before the FCE because I was required to. Without my meds, I could not have taken the FCE. The Meds were stated in the FCE paper work. If it is possible, I would not take my meds before the FCE. If I had not taken my bp meds at that time, I would have failed the FCE based on my blood pressure issues.

They will look to see if you are faking so be Honest.

(02-17-2012, 06:00 PM)lucky Wrote: This particular thread is over 4 years old. Bad Boy has not posted since 9/2010.

With my settlement, I am 100% not involved with the WC IC anymore.Maybe your problem is the type of settlement you have. I really have trouble understanding your PTD rating and you say you have settled.

If the IC is able to continue to hound you, I would go for a C&R settlement with a good WC Attorney involved. I guess this is a choice in Alabama.

I had a couple of FCE's; The last one I think did carry some weight in my settlement. I did take my meds before the FCE because I was required to. Without my meds, I could not have taken the FCE. The Meds were stated in the FCE paper work. If it is possible, I would not take my meds before the FCE. If I had not taken my bp meds at that time, I would have failed the FCE based on my blood pressure issues.

Thank you for the reply, your help is appreciated. I will try and help you understand my issue and if you have knowledge of it, I would appreciate your input. I was injured on the job in April of 2000 in Alabama. The floor of a church attic collapsed and sent me falling through the false ceiling below but not before destroying my left knee and crushing S1, L3, L4, and L5 in my back as well as vertibrae damage, and then split my right shoulder, which is what saved me from the other 14 foot drop to the concrete floor below. Ive endured 26 operations, mostly on the left knee and my back. Contracted Hep C from a so called knee transplant, (which I tell everyone that will listen, dont do it) where they use cadavr parts thet were not tested properly, and then a MRSA infection which caused 5 more knee surgeries and almost cost my life. At that point I was still on comp and they offered me a settlement of Permanent Total Disability if I would not sue them for the Hep C(which they think I cant prove was due to their neglegence) and I accepted it and they are paying me for the rest of my life, and they still left my meds open. Then I had another back and thats when they wanted another FCE, which never happened. Now its just one fight after another to get medical help when I need it, like now that ive strained my back and need Physical therapy, its a lot of red tape. They also asked me about 6-8 months ago to give them a number as to what it would take to buy me out, but after all the numbers were ran, I never heard from them again till now. Sorry for the book, but thats what Im talking about. Any thoughts.

(02-17-2012, 06:34 PM)mobo96 Wrote:
(02-17-2012, 06:00 PM)lucky Wrote: This particular thread is over 4 years old. Bad Boy has not posted since 9/2010.

Thank you for the reply, your help is appreciated. I will try and help you understand my issue and if you have knowledge of it, I would appreciate your input. I was injured on the job in April of 2000 in Alabama. The floor of a church attic collapsed and sent me falling through the false ceiling below but not before destroying my left knee and crushing S1, L3, L4, and L5 in my back as well as vertibrae damage, and then split my right shoulder, which is what saved me from the other 14 foot drop to the concrete floor below. Ive endured 26 operations, mostly on the left knee and my back. Contracted Hep C from a so called knee transplant, (which I tell everyone that will listen, dont do it) where they use cadavr parts thet were not tested properly, and then a MRSA infection which caused 5 more knee surgeries and almost cost my life. At that point I was still on comp and they offered me a settlement of Permanent Total Disability if I would not sue them for the Hep C(which they think I cant prove was due to their neglegence) and I accepted it and they are paying me for the rest of my life, and they still left my meds open. Then I had another back and thats when they wanted another FCE, which never happened. Now its just one fight after another to get medical help when I need it, like now that ive strained my back and need Physical therapy, its a lot of red tape. They also asked me about 6-8 months ago to give them a number as to what it would take to buy me out, but after all the numbers were ran, I never heard from them again till now. Sorry for the book, but thats what Im talking about. Any thoughts.

The IC tried to get me to take a additional FCE after I was declared MMI because it took almost 3 years to settle after mediation. They also wanted me to have another IME but my Attorney told them to go to Hell AND thet did not pursue it any further. You need legal advice IMO. With your long History, you will have to hire a Attorney to fight this bear.

You say you had another back injury? Obviously, this was not at work right which could mean WC is not liable to cover a non work related injury.

If you settle out like I did, you will have to realize you will never get what you think it is worth. I am surprised they have not counter offered you. We started out being over $300k apart at mediation but my Attorney worked out a Compromise I could live with.

(02-17-2012, 07:22 PM)lucky Wrote:
(02-17-2012, 06:34 PM)mobo96 Wrote:

The IC tried to get me to take a additional FCE after I was declared MMI because it took almost 3 years to settle after mediation. They also wanted me to have another IME but my Attorney told them to go to Hell AND thet did not pursue it any further. You need legal advice IMO. With your long History, you will have to hire a Attorney to fight this bear.

You say you had another back injury? Obviously, this was not at work right which could mean WC is not liable to cover a non work related injury.

If you settle out like I did, you will have to realize you will never get what you think it is worth. I am surprised they have not counter offered you. We started out being over $300k apart at mediation but my Attorney worked out a Compromise I could live with.

No, the injury wasnt new, it was from just doing around the house and it felt as though I tore something from the surgery and until the CT scan, we wont know that. I still get epidurals to help with the pain going into my legs, so the Phys therapy shouldnt be a big deal, it never has before. I think I new a new attorney. then i think they might negotiate . Im still not happy I losy my federal disability, I would have thought he would know the rules being an attorney so long. Thanks for your input and good luck to you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Functional Capacity Exam marinechamp 13 2,528 08-01-2014, 12:46 PM
Last Post: Manley2
  2nd evaluation bjcarpetguy 1 638 07-28-2014, 07:31 PM
Last Post: 1171
  FCE vs DR's restrictions? Are functional capacity test reliable Eaglefeather 5 2,032 07-12-2014, 09:44 AM
Last Post: California_Help
  100% Diminished Future Earning Capacity classk 6 7,806 06-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Last Post: classk
  Functional Capacity TEST before THERAPY? inquiringMIND 3 2,214 02-17-2012, 03:00 PM
  voc evaluation. Need help please !! butler742 9 3,650 08-24-2011, 10:14 AM
Last Post: jayne
  Question about "loss of earning capacity"... cynatnite 6 5,441 01-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Last Post: jayne
  recent mmi evaluation striket 1 4,809 12-05-2010, 01:26 PM
  evaluation mophead77 1 2,437 10-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Psychological Evaluation for SSI & SSDI ? borninabarn 3 8,513 10-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Last Post: borninabarn