Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A typical surveillance case and some info.
This can be a broad topic depending on who the IC is and the investigation firm as well as other factors. For the most part more and more big IC's are taking over. Small IC's and TPA's are not around as much as they used to be, at least not where I live. Likewise small PI firms are not doing most of the work for IC's, its big nationwide investigation firms and a lot of them are located in Florida with some in Ca. I won't name them but a quick Google search will list them. The big IC's are setting the trend with how cases are worked. I have seen some smaller IC's in Ca adopt the same methods as big IC's which is why I mention this. Not all the time but for the most part a surveillance case will be given out in 8, 12, 16, 24 hr increments and usually broken down into 4 hr blocks of time to start with which are called "activity checks," title speaks for itself. Anything over 6-8 hrs is called a surveillance. So an investigator gets your case, reviews whats given to him and he might even do some of his own research on social sites as well as research Google maps to become familiar with where you live. The first morning he starts at lets say 6am. Starts times may differ depending what info they have about you, is there some info your working on the side early?, Do you go to a gym early? IC's requirements, etc. Where the investigator parks depends on a lot of things and are there vehicles parked on your driveway or in front of your house? There is a company or companies who contract with DMV that an investigation firm, PI, etc can join to run your license plates. Names on the registration only, no address provided. If your vehicles are in plain view it only takes seconds to get Reg info. Vehicles match your name then no need to park directly with a view of your home if they don't want to or can't. Maybe in your neighborhood everyone parks on the driveway, you live in a rural area or there are not many vehicles on the street, etc. If they have vehicle info then a choke point surveillance can be established which means a place along the main route or the only route out of your neighborhood will be set up to wait for you to drive by. An investigator may drive by your home every so often to see if there is activity at your home. If there are no vehicles at your home and you have a garage and the Inv. does not have any vehicle info in your file then they might have to chance it and park with a view of your home no matter what. Parking with a view of your home will be done for sure no matter what if someone could easily blend in on your street, your located next to a public parking lot or a mall, park, business area, etc where a surveillance vehicle would blend in. A good Inv will take all of the above into consideration and choose a place to park. How to spot a vehicle? Well tint is the main one. Its a car, a van or a truck with a shell. Almost all vehicles come with stock tint on back windows and most Inv will add more tint over that as well as the front side windows. But now a days most vehicles have tint. So look for vehicles you don't recognize, are they parked in places people don't normally park like between property lines? If there was over night dew or rain then is the vehicle dry or direr than others? If they arrived early and there is some dew on it there will be dry spots on the hood from heat from the motor. If its freezing where you live then no ice covered windows is a give away. If its hot, are some windows cracked? When driving or walking by a suspect vehicle its hard to see through the back window so make sure and look through the front windshield. If they have a curtain up in the back that's a give away or if the guy is an idiot and sitting in the front seat then he is done. Look for condensation inside of the windows, especially the lower part of the inside of the windshield. Body heat/sweat will cause that. A lot of guys are dumb and will leave stuff in plain view in the front seat that would give away why they are there, camera bag, files, etc. The above are just some tips/info to spark any questions.

A good Inv. will keep an eye out on neighbors as well to see if anyone is looking at his vehicle. Most IC's require video proof an Inv is working so they want a few seconds of video of their view whether it be your home or if they are parked on along the main route out of your area. By the 4 hr mark for an Inv. to keep working most IC's these days want some type of proof your home or at the minimum that they are at the right home. This can be done by a pretext over the phone, a knock on your front door or with neighbors. I rarely did them for obvious reasons unless I was at a dead end and had no choice. I hated doing them but was good at them. You would be amazed how easily people will spew out info with a good pretext. As I mentioned most IC's use huge nationwide investigation firms who are nationwide themselves. They get the work and then try to locate PI's or Inv in each state after they get it. Get what you pay for or can find so this is probably why a lot of you have burned Investigators. These big firms are desperate for coverage and often don't know if an Inv. is good until after they screw up your case. The economy is bad so most Inv will travel to do a surveillance. Drive time and miles are often billed so they will drive to get more work. Keep in mind the IC's want proof your home in order to approve working beyond 4 hr mark and the Inv probably drove a good distance to get there means he will be aggressive and try pretexts mentioned above. If he can establish your home then he stays 8 hrs. If your gone or he figures out you have moved then he is done for the day. If he gets lucky and your active and gets tape then he works until your inactive. What makes video valuable? Well for starters a good face shot for ID will need to be obtained at some point to prove its you. Is the video of activity conflict what you say you cannot do. There are medically imposed restrictions (what the doctor says you can and cannot do) and claimant imposed restrictions (what you say you can and cannot do). Was the video obtained close to the time or the same day as a med app, depo or hearing and if so does it conflict with your restrictions? If so then this is where the misrepresentation comes in on your part and thats a whole another post. If no good face shot, the activity is not conflicting then tape is junk. Another big thing is getting a consecutive day of activity after a day of videotape. If an Inv got good video of you, whether its conflicting to your restrictions or not, then for sure he will be back the next day and maybe more days. Ya you were active because your doctor said to do stuff, plus you took meds and felt good so you washed the car. No activity the next day means you suffered for it and were on the couch in pain. If they got tape the next day of you mowing the lawn then hard to say you suffered the next day. So if you have to do stuff, run errands, etc. then each day you are active, the next day stay home. Try to avoid doing stuff everyday.Tape doesn't show you holding back pain, how good your meds worked, etc if your active multiple days in a row so don't chance it. If your hurting and still doing stuff then that can hurt your claim. Your Att will say my claimant was in pain and on heavy meds while washing the car, Defense Att will say claimant is fine and look how active they were. Better to be safe than sorry.

I could go on but for those who are afraid to ask then maybe the above helped you out. I just wanted to spew some basic stuff out since some of you question my reason for being here. The above is simple and general, there are a lot of variables to surveillance, why its done, etc. Ignore any grammer, spelling errors and bouncing around off topic. Some IC's still give out 2 - 3 days of 8 hr days no matter what and don't require an Inv to do a pretext, maybe you have burned an Inv and he came back in a different car or now IC has authorized 2 Inv to work you at the same time. Most Inv now a days are dumb, some are not and are very good and creative, you will never know they were there until you see the video at a hearing. For all I know they have video on my wife even though I know whats up and so does my wife. You forget to think about it, don't notice the vehicle, etc. Writing the above I am assuming you are all legit and not committing fraud. My info is not for that. I know how evil IC's are so i am giving up info. I figured with the seriousness of my wife's injuries she would be treated fairly. How wrong I was.

(05-13-2012, 03:47 PM)(EX)surveillanceInvestigator Wrote: This can be a broad topic depending on who the IC is and the investigation firm as well as other factors. For the most part more and more big IC's are taking over. Small IC's and TPA's are not around as much as they used to be, at least not where I live. Likewise small PI firms are not doing most of the work for IC's, its big nationwide investigation firms and a lot of them are located in Florida with some in Ca. I won't name them but a quick Google search will list them. The big IC's are setting the trend with how cases are worked. I have seen some smaller IC's in Ca adopt the same methods as big IC's which is why I mention this. Not all the time but for the most part a surveillance case will be given out in 8, 12, 16, 24 hr increments and usually broken down into 4 hr blocks of time to start with which are called "activity checks," title speaks for itself. Anything over 6-8 hrs is called a surveillance. So an investigator gets your case, reviews whats given to him and he might even do some of his own research on social sites as well as research Google maps to become familiar with where you live. The first morning he starts at lets say 6am. Starts times may differ depending what info they have about you, is there some info your working on the side early?, Do you go to a gym early? IC's requirements, etc. Where the investigator parks depends on a lot of things and are there vehicles parked on your driveway or in front of your house? There is a company or companies who contract with DMV that an investigation firm, PI, etc can join to run your license plates. Names on the registration only, no address provided. If your vehicles are in plain view it only takes seconds to get Reg info. Vehicles match your name then no need to park directly with a view of your home if they don't want to or can't. Maybe in your neighborhood everyone parks on the driveway, you live in a rural area or there are not many vehicles on the street, etc. If they have vehicle info then a choke point surveillance can be established which means a place along the main route or the only route out of your neighborhood will be set up to wait for you to drive by. An investigator may drive by your home every so often to see if there is activity at your home. If there are no vehicles at your home and you have a garage and the Inv. does not have any vehicle info in your file then they might have to chance it and park with a view of your home no matter what. Parking with a view of your home will be done for sure no matter what if someone could easily blend in on your street, your located next to a public parking lot or a mall, park, business area, etc where a surveillance vehicle would blend in. A good Inv will take all of the above into consideration and choose a place to park. How to spot a vehicle? Well tint is the main one. Its a car, a van or a truck with a shell. Almost all vehicles come with stock tint on back windows and most Inv will add more tint over that as well as the front side windows. But now a days most vehicles have tint. So look for vehicles you don't recognize, are they parked in places people don't normally park like between property lines? If there was over night dew or rain then is the vehicle dry or direr than others? If they arrived early and there is some dew on it there will be dry spots on the hood from heat from the motor. If its freezing where you live then no ice covered windows is a give away. If its hot, are some windows cracked? When driving or walking by a suspect vehicle its hard to see through the back window so make sure and look through the front windshield. If they have a curtain up in the back that's a give away or if the guy is an idiot and sitting in the front seat then he is done. Look for condensation inside of the windows, especially the lower part of the inside of the windshield. Body heat/sweat will cause that. A lot of guys are dumb and will leave stuff in plain view in the front seat that would give away why they are there, camera bag, files, etc. The above are just some tips/info to spark any questions.

A good Inv. will keep an eye out on neighbors as well to see if anyone is looking at his vehicle. Most IC's require video proof an Inv is working so they want a few seconds of video of their view whether it be your home or if they are parked on along the main route out of your area. By the 4 hr mark for an Inv. to keep working most IC's these days want some type of proof your home or at the minimum that they are at the right home. This can be done by a pretext over the phone, a knock on your front door or with neighbors. I rarely did them for obvious reasons unless I was at a dead end and had no choice. I hated doing them but was good at them. You would be amazed how easily people will spew out info with a good pretext. As I mentioned most IC's use huge nationwide investigation firms who are nationwide themselves. They get the work and then try to locate PI's or Inv in each state after they get it. Get what you pay for or can find so this is probably why a lot of you have burned Investigators. These big firms are desperate for coverage and often don't know if an Inv. is good until after they screw up your case. The economy is bad so most Inv will travel to do a surveillance. Drive time and miles are often billed so they will drive to get more work. Keep in mind the IC's want proof your home in order to approve working beyond 4 hr mark and the Inv probably drove a good distance to get there means he will be aggressive and try pretexts mentioned above. If he can establish your home then he stays 8 hrs. If your gone or he figures out you have moved then he is done for the day. If he gets lucky and your active and gets tape then he works until your inactive. What makes video valuable? Well for starters a good face shot for ID will need to be obtained at some point to prove its you. Is the video of activity conflict what you say you cannot do. There are medically imposed restrictions (what the doctor says you can and cannot do) and claimant imposed restrictions (what you say you can and cannot do). Was the video obtained close to the time or the same day as a med app, depo or hearing and if so does it conflict with your restrictions? If so then this is where the misrepresentation comes in on your part and thats a whole another post. If no good face shot, the activity is not conflicting then tape is junk. Another big thing is getting a consecutive day of activity after a day of videotape. If an Inv got good video of you, whether its conflicting to your restrictions or not, then for sure he will be back the next day and maybe more days. Ya you were active because your doctor said to do stuff, plus you took meds and felt good so you washed the car. No activity the next day means you suffered for it and were on the couch in pain. If they got tape the next day of you mowing the lawn then hard to say you suffered the next day. So if you have to do stuff, run errands, etc. then each day you are active, the next day stay home. Try to avoid doing stuff everyday.Tape doesn't show you holding back pain, how good your meds worked, etc if your active multiple days in a row so don't chance it. If your hurting and still doing stuff then that can hurt your claim. Your Att will say my claimant was in pain and on heavy meds while washing the car, Defense Att will say claimant is fine and look how active they were. Better to be safe than sorry.

I could go on but for those who are afraid to ask then maybe the above helped you out. I just wanted to spew some basic stuff out since some of you question my reason for being here. The above is simple and general, there are a lot of variables to surveillance, why its done, etc. Ignore any grammer, spelling errors and bouncing around off topic. Some IC's still give out 2 - 3 days of 8 hr days no matter what and don't require an Inv to do a pretext, maybe you have burned an Inv and he came back in a different car or now IC has authorized 2 Inv to work you at the same time. Most Inv now a days are dumb, some are not and are very good and creative, you will never know they were there until you see the video at a hearing. For all I know they have video on my wife even though I know whats up and so does my wife. You forget to think about it, don't notice the vehicle, etc. Writing the above I am assuming you are all legit and not committing fraud. My info is not for that. I know how evil IC's are so i am giving up info. I figured with the seriousness of my wife's injuries she would be treated fairly. How wrong I was.

I called the cops on one investigator because he was sitting across the street at 7:00 am during survalliance, the reason i noticed him because he was parked some were were cars don't park, my husband confronted him and he lied and said he was waiting to meet some one at the church down the street, he came back two days latter in the same vehicle and parked in the same place so i just went to the door and saluted him, then about a year latter a women p.i. started watching me and she parked on the side of the house but got nothing. Question what do they do with the videos of people that they get who are really hurt, do they show those videos or do they get rid of them
I called the cops on one investigator because he was sitting across the street at 7:00 am during survalliance, the reason i noticed him because he was parked some were were cars don't park, my husband confronted him and he lied and said he was waiting to meet some one at the church down the street, he came back two days latter in the same vehicle and parked in the same place so i just went to the door and saluted him, then about a year latter a women p.i. started watching me and she parked on the side of the house but got nothing. Question what do they do with the videos of people that they get who are really hurt, do they show those videos or do they get rid of them

1171 wanna go Catfishing?Bass are biting but a hungry catfish will get rid of anything.....
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

(05-13-2012, 07:39 PM)jayne Wrote: 1171 wanna go Catfishing?Bass are biting but a hungry catfish will get rid of anything.....

No, thank you.
I'm already plagued by two cats and don't want any more.
thanks for the offer;

but i might consider fishing for a dog pretty soon...
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

got some basset pups pretty as can be....

.I have a question cause i dont know anything about this topic but i can spot idiots if they tried.ive been out for 9 months now,going for surgery at end of this month,have mris to prove injuries,at what point would they start watching me? They couldnt hide in my neiborhood well and the only chokepoint around theyd be seen plus i drive like a maniac to avoid getting hit by all these retirees.so would they just wait at my appointments.is every iw watched at some point and when do they start watching?

Jayyou dont have to worry about them at all they are a non issue......if you stay within your restrictions and never lie you are okay...but you must be upfront and honest if you can bend over but it hurts dont say I cant bend over...Say I can bend over but it is painful...always stay within your restrictions never even once go outside them even if it means your job cuz once you go outside them you are screwed....All the stuff on this PI thread has been brought up over and over at least once a year in the 5 or 6 years I have been on here.yes they are out there yes they have to make a living.....most likely they will never mess with you unless someone turns you in or you are a big money case 99% of WC cases go thru with no problems very few have a problem and we end up here to help you thru.....Dont let anyone scare you just do what your Dr tells you and your going to be okay

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Surveillance info. (EX)surveillanceInvestigator 32 23,684 05-21-2012, 10:52 PM
Last Post: brandnew23
  Indiana- Injured school employee, What is typical compensation ? tdn08 6 9,992 03-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Last Post: jmf973
Big Grin case info question danny038 10 6,545 09-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Last Post: 1171
  info on nurse case manager hurt at work 1 2,673 04-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Last Post: hurt at work
  question about surveillance backache 27 10,838 03-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Last Post: jayne
  AZ Gal Denial and Surveillance Question azmickelson 12 7,863 11-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Last Post: pdworth2