Workers Compensation - Workmans Comp Service Center

Current time: 05-04-2015, 08:12 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Important Notice: We have deployed some new anti-spam measures that have enabled us to once again allow registration with a simple email verification. However, please do not hesitate to report suspected spam threads should they arise.

Spammers take note - your posts, if successful, will not last here. Our community is vigilant in identifying and reporting spam posts for IMMEDIATE removal. Don't waste your time!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My Mediation is tomorrow, what to expect?? (Florida)
03-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Question My Mediation is tomorrow, what to expect?? (Florida)
I have my mediation tomorrow and I'm a little nervous. What can I expect? What are the chances of ending this whole nightmare tomorrow?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2012, 10:43 PM
RE: My Mediation is tomorrow, what to expect?? (Florida)
depends on the issues and how willing each party is willing to compromise and negotiate.
if you are representing yourself here is some information:
http://www.jcc.state.fl.us/JCC/RepSelf.asp
03-06-2012, 12:42 AM
At my mediation, I cried, requested my one phone call (called my husband), cursed, cried some more, told my Ombudsman that I didn't want her working for me because she seems to be working for TDI, all becuase the TDI attorney was trying to get me to sign away my righsts!!! Expect the worse, prepare for the worse, and pray for some good to come out of it!
03-06-2012, 12:42 AM
At my mediation, I cried, requested my one phone call (called my husband), cursed, cried some more, told my Ombudsman that I didn't want her working for me because she seems to be working for TDI, all becuase the TDI attorney was trying to get me to sign away my righsts!!! Expect the worse, prepare for the worse, and pray for some good to come out of it!
03-06-2012, 10:53 AM
In Florida, the mediation is usually held with you (and your attorney if you have one) in one room. The IC representative and their attorney (if they have one) in another room. The mediator runs in between the 2 rooms. Each side tells the mediator their side and the mediator tries to get the two sides to meet. Unless an agreement is reached and signed, nothing that happens at the mediation is binding. The mediator does not have any say in what happens.

If it doesn't settle at mediation, it will go to hearing before the judge. Or many times it will still settle before the hearing. Just remember, neither side HAS to settle. The judge cannot force either side to settle the claim. The judge can decide specific issues but not settlement.
03-06-2012, 02:01 PM
(03-06-2012 10:53 AM)kate Wrote:  In Florida, the mediation is usually held with you (and your attorney if you have one) in one room. The IC representative and their attorney (if they have one) in another room. The mediator runs in between the 2 rooms. Each side tells the mediator their side and the mediator tries to get the two sides to meet. Unless an agreement is reached and signed, nothing that happens at the mediation is binding. The mediator does not have any say in what happens.

If it doesn't settle at mediation, it will go to hearing before the judge. Or many times it will still settle before the hearing. Just remember, neither side HAS to settle. The judge cannot force either side to settle the claim. The judge can decide specific issues but not settlement.

This EXACTLY how my mediation went in Louisiana and it lasted 8 hours. We made a offer; they countered. They did sit me down with the IC Attorneys and they told me I would probably hear things I did not like.

We reached a agreement. Think positive; everyone is not destined for a bad outcome.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Help! My attorney turned on me and i was coerced during mediation SOUTH FLORIDA lumbar81 11 4,857 11-13-2012 07:51 PM
Last Post: lumbar81
  Mediation Tomorrow ammowoman 6 2,155 05-18-2012 01:16 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Mediation - what should we expect wife of injured man 11 4,115 02-18-2008 11:14 AM
Last Post: jayne
  Mediation Hearing tomorrow-Doesn't look good... marvinmartian 7 3,720 06-26-2007 09:28 AM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy