Workers Compensation - Workmans Comp Service Center

Current time: 05-24-2015, 09:09 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Important Notice: We have deployed some new anti-spam measures that have enabled us to once again allow registration with a simple email verification. However, please do not hesitate to report suspected spam threads should they arise.

Spammers take note - your posts, if successful, will not last here. Our community is vigilant in identifying and reporting spam posts for IMMEDIATE removal. Don't waste your time!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
questions to ask attorney about an offered settlement
08-29-2007, 02:20 PM (This post was last modified: 08-29-2007 06:58 PM by moonmama.)
questions to ask attorney about an offered settlement
My attorney called the other day to set up an appointment with me to come in and discuss a settlement offer from the other side.He said we needed to set down, and come up with some figures.What type of questions should I ask my attorney? What should I look for in a settlement? I'm in my early 40's, and I just had 4 disc's in my low back fused together.Can anyone give me some advice that I can understand,and use.I'm not real sure my attorney has my best interest at heart.I would like to know how to come up with a figure for a permanent disability,or at least know what would be a fair offer.By the way I'm in Arkansas.
someone please
HELP!
God bless!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-29-2007, 02:29 PM (This post was last modified: 08-29-2007 02:31 PM by WCisBS.)
RE: questions to ask attorney about an offered settlement
Smile
In order to determine what benefits are being settled and therefore what value is placed on them depends a lot on what state laws you are under.
you didn't indicate a location in your profile; what jurisdiction is your claim under?
Wink
there are general questions you should ask if you don't know your state's work comp laws:
are you settling future medical treatment?
can you reopen the claim later?
what type/amount of fees are deducted from the settlement (including atty fees and/or costs)
what if it doesn't settle?
how long does the process take?
can you return to work for the employer?
Smile
there may be more specific questions that are relevant to the system and laws in your state but until we know that all i can do is give generic ones.
08-29-2007, 02:39 PM
I am not sure that I have a lot to offer, but my first suggestion would be to know what your state says about what kind of injury you have. Are you permanently or partially permanently disabled? Are you going to be able to work in the future? All of this is relevant to the questions that you ask us to help you with. Let say that you are going to be permanently disabled from your current job because of your injury as you mentioned. I would address then from priorities first....Medical, Vocational Rehab, and then loss income etc.

Medical:

future medical cost and who would be responsible.
know more about how to obtain open medical.
know more about the Medicare Set Aside and is it relevant to you.

Vocational Rehab - of course this is relevant only if there is any chance that you may return to an employment at any time in the future.
ask about its relevance and whether it is possible for you.

Lost Income:
Ask about having a I believe it is called a true life estimation done so you will know what your actual costs and losses are going to be as a result of this injury.
Before I talked to the attorney I would sit down and figure out what I made each year on the job, including your vacation sick time etc and then figure out what you are going to recieve from SSDI and then find out what your losses are until you are 65. That would be the typical working time frame. I believe they have changed that to 70 years old now, but you could ask your lawyer about that also.

This is just a few of my ideas. First you must know what how your medical needs are going to be met and go from there. Good luck Red

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.
08-29-2007, 02:44 PM
I happy you have an appointment with your attorney, however, make sure 1st make sure medical on your back is covered for your lifetime. 2nd make sure that if you settle and it's in payments that it is written up that it your medial is cover by any and all new owners no matter what the company is called. 3rd Ask your attorney what is your total disability rating for your state, each body part has a percentage. He should know. Make sure your settlement is in your benefit. Money has a value and you out way any thing they come up with make sure you are not trying to settle just because you are in a financial tight, because this decision will last a life time.
firefighter1188 Wrote:My attorney called the other day to set up an appointment with me to come in and discuss a settlement offer from the other side.He said we needed to set down, and come up with some figures.What type of questions should I ask my attorney? What should I look for in a settlement? I'm in my early 40's, and I just had 4 disc's in my low back fused together.Can anyone give me some advice that I can understand,and use.I'm not real sure my attorney has my best interest at heart.I would like to know how to come up with a figure for a permanent disability,or at least know what would be a fair offer.
someone please
HELP!
God bless!
08-30-2007, 10:57 AM
1171 Wrote:H i the state I live in is Arkansas
Smile
In order to determine what benefits are being settled and therefore what value is placed on them depends a lot on what state laws you are under.
you didn't indicate a location in your profile; what jurisdiction is your claim under?
Wink
there are general questions you should ask if you don't know your state's work comp laws:
are you settling future medical treatment?
can you reopen the claim later?
what type/amount of fees are deducted from the settlement (including atty fees and/or costs)
what if it doesn't settle?
how long does the process take?
can you return to work for the employer?
Smile
there may be more specific questions that are relevant to the system and laws in your state but until we know that all i can do is give generic ones.
08-30-2007, 11:12 AM
Hi I'm new to this so please forgive me.The state I live in is Arkansas,and the reson I dont think that my attorney has my best interest at heart is, because we found out only after he took the case that his secratary is the sister in-law to the Ceo of the company that I worked for.He was really upbeat about taking the case a year,and a half ago,but a couple of weeks ago he called to tell me that my case was going to be really tough,and take allot of work,and now I'm being offered a settlement.He would not go in to detail with me about this his reson was he had someone waiting to come in to see him.It left me with allot of questions I thank you for your reply,and your help.
God bless!
David
08-30-2007, 11:50 AM
Maybe this will help;

http://www.workerscompensation.com/arkansas.php

http://www.awcc.state.ar.us/benefit-calc...abled.html

http://www.awcc.state.ar.us/index.html

Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  attorney for settlement mikeswrld1 5 1,099 06-10-2014 05:43 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  offered part time work cbcalles 4 1,227 09-19-2013 08:39 PM
Last Post: Manley2
Question Structured now lum sum offered Silly 1 1,289 05-02-2013 10:19 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Work Comp Along With Employer Offered Long Term Disability Insurance? injuredinidaho 15 15,798 10-18-2012 11:45 AM
  long story- attorney suggests proposing settlement before qme zzebra 10 19,296 10-15-2012 01:13 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Settlement questions limeem 2 1,707 08-08-2012 10:19 AM
Last Post: limeem
  ic offered a low amount.was choosing a hearing date a good idea? str8active 16 8,224 05-08-2012 08:06 PM
  Settlement Offered upguy 4 2,669 11-10-2011 06:16 PM
Last Post: LeglEgl
  Settlement Process Questions wiworkcomp 20 8,314 09-28-2011 03:42 AM
Last Post: wiworkcomp
Exclamation Virginia - Questions Regarding Settlement and Surgery, Please Help! rsweeney 2 3,498 07-13-2011 01:24 PM
Last Post: Manley2