Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Medical Only" when layed off??
Hi all,

ER filed claim for me because I was having problems for months. I was laid off shortly thereafter. (not retalitory). I hadn't missed work per se, as I work from home, and always made up the time I would miss because of pain. Recent Dr restrictions state "no use of RUE (r. upper extremity) for repetitive work. Heard from IC finally, after the lay off date, advised them of dr restrictions, told them I had been laid off, the IC came back with "medical only" comp since I was laid off.. and hadn't missed days.
Now, I have always done computer work... 30+yrs.. I have worked from home for 5 years.. on the computer...
Since I can barely do anything with my R arm without pain, writing, (even brushing my teeth) what are their expectation for me to work?
Will I receive a notice of "Medical Only" approval and what is the next step?

Thank you

the process is probably different depending on the state.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

[quote='1171' pid='139292' dateline='1318477247']

State is PA.

(10-13-2011, 03:53 AM)dina paid='139294 Wrote:[quote='1171'paidd='139292' dateline='1318477247']

State is PA.

In PA, if an injured worker is laid off from a modified duty position, they enjoy a rebuttable presumption that their loss of earnings is causally related to the work injury. Get a lawyer, you may have a wage loss claim, but the IC is unlikely to agree without some persuading.

State is Pa--
My claim went from "medical only" (verbally by IC) to denied within 1 day of speaking to them on initial contact. When I called them I was told they denied because they did not have med records. They had not contacted dr's office, nor have they sent me the "correct medical authorization form". (1st form had my name incorrect, address etc.). Their other reason was they had so many days by law to respond so they denied. (the claim examiner was off for 3 days, plus they were closed for columbus day, so days were going by..) I was told twice now they would send the right authorization form, a longer version, but I still have not received. I emailed the original auth to the I/C with my name corrected and asked how soon would they be contacting drs office.
I/C said it takes awhile to have "clerical" get auth copied and sent to dr's office.

Is this standard practice? Should I keep pushing the I/C to do their job?
Can they be held accountable?

On the back of the denial form, it states the appeal process. I wanted to check it out so I called the number and the w/c office said it was my resp to get the drs records to the I/C.
Any thoughts or advise?

Thanks so much....

The IC is unlikely to listen to you. They will move forward at their own pace if they bother to move forward at all. If you want to get this thing moving, I would suggest you hire a lawyer and have them file a Claim Petition. The Petition will be assigned to a judge within about 1-2 weeks, and a hearing will be scheduled shortly thereafter. Your other choice is to continue to beat your head against the wall.
The IC is unlikely to listen to you. They will move forward at their own pace if they bother to move forward at all. If you want to get this thing moving, I would suggest you hire a lawyer and have them file a Claim Petition. The Petition will be assigned to a judge within about 1-2 weeks, and a hearing will be scheduled shortly thereafter. Your other choice is to continue to beat your head against the wall.

It's tough because I Googled Indiana laws and find different results. I'll have to call the county and ask them after the holiday weekend. Unless anyone here knows. If not, I may have to find a boston gastroenterologist to help me with some issues I'm having.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worker comp company wants to offer medical trust instead of lifetime medical benfits de88iet 1 8,002 10-20-2012, 12:36 AM
Last Post: 1171
  Layed off while on worker's comp - odd situation KFenton 4 7,307 05-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  Injured and Layed Off Jayarewms 4 2,891 03-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Last Post: 1171