Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Independent medical exam
I work for the railroad and injured my knee at work. I had surgery in late February but I still have little improvement. The MRI shows nothing significant but I still have terrible pain and limp. They want me to go to there IME, what if he says he see's nothing but ignores that I'm still hurting? Will they stop my weekly pay? What would be next? I have a lawyer but isn't real informative.

if you are released to return to work or the ime believes you have reached maximum recovery, disability payments will stop.
your opinion is not considered medical evidence.
you can appeal to the comp court.
Signature/Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information.........

What are the chances of an appeal with wc ?

Have you talked with a lawyer yet? Might be a good time to do so if not. Medical evidence is the important part of it and you will need something on your side that goes along with your problems. Many times WC send you in for an IME so they can stop payments to you and the only thing you can do is get supporting medical evidence on your side to appeal. I've been to 2 IME's, first one was for the very reason of stopping me from getting a SCS. Didn't work other then to delay the surgery. Second one was the first of this year and so far they are not willing to share it with me or change any payments so the only thing I can say is this doctor sided with my doctors and agreed with my injuries. I think he had some treatment ideas that would only cost them more money so they have not wanted to show it to us.
Doctor's charge good money for these IME's and WC knows those doctors that for the money will write what they want them to say. The doctor is not treating you so he has no worries of saying the wrong things

Yeah I have a lawyer and will have to talk to him on Tuesday. They said last MRI looked ok but I still have all symptoms of same problem so I guess if he just looks at MRI then I'm screwed!! I just want my knee fixed period!! I'm tired of all the bs!! Any ideas?

if treatment is denied by workers comp it's possible to use your health care.
Signature/Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information.........

(09-03-2011, 11:30 PM)Adk98 Wrote: I work for the railroad and injured my knee at work. I had surgery in late February but I still have little improvement. The MRI shows nothing significant but I still have terrible pain and limp. They want me to go to there IME, what if he says he see's nothing but ignores that I'm still hurting? Will they stop my weekly pay? What would be next? I have a lawyer but isn't real informative.

Pain is subjective and unless it's supported by some clearly discernible medical evidence, will receive only a nominal amount of consideration. That consideration would ONLY be given coupled WITH some medical evidence that there is something causing the pain. With a "clear" MRI, you have only your assessment of the pain, but nothing to explain it.

Everyone has their own level of pain tolerance and unfortunately, no matter how real it is, the "my tummy hurts" level of evidence isn't evidence. (No offense intended here.)

DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney. While drawing from my professional training and experience in law enforcement and as a former Paralegal, no comments offered should be considered as legal advice.

No offense taken. I have never had knee trouble or pain and since the incident at work it is non stop so I guess if they can't figure it out I'm screwed. Sounds like our government. Lol.

(09-04-2011, 04:33 PM)Adk98 Wrote: No offense taken. I have never had knee trouble or pain and since the incident at work it is non stop so I guess if they can't figure it out I'm screwed. Sounds like our government. Lol.

I can fully understand your plight. I've had surgery on both knees throughout my life. The first was in 1986 and even though I was "fixed" I had chronic pain for almost a year, but as the knee got stronger, I've had no problem with it since.

My last one was in 2007, (torn ACL) and still had pain, although the problem had been repaired. That went on for about 6 months (advances in medicine). Near perfect recovery.

I'm pretty sure that with continued use, barring any unforseen additional injury, you'll probably get close to 90%. Just a guess.

DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney. While drawing from my professional training and experience in law enforcement and as a former Paralegal, no comments offered should be considered as legal advice.

Do you know what would be next if the IME doc says I'm good? Process wise I mean. I work for the railroad so I know it's different but not sure what's next besides go back to work and tuff it out.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Independent medical exam rating question Schwing 3 1,893 06-21-2016, 12:29 PM
Last Post: 1171
  UnBiased? EXAM JohnDoe 6 3,273 10-16-2015, 04:21 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  occupational permanency exam angel1954 2 2,098 09-24-2015, 11:11 PM
  FCE Exam JohnDoe 6 2,843 09-03-2015, 10:05 PM
Last Post: JohnDoe
  Independent Medical Exams - Beware! LessonLearned 3 2,914 12-03-2014, 10:27 AM
Last Post: jayne
  Functional Capacity Exam marinechamp 13 9,823 08-01-2014, 12:46 PM
Last Post: Manley2
  qme exam billaker 8 6,083 01-24-2014, 12:18 AM
  Worker comp company wants to offer medical trust instead of lifetime medical benfits de88iet 1 7,815 10-20-2012, 12:36 AM
Last Post: 1171
  SSDI exam coming up ammowoman 11 9,448 01-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Last Post: jayne
Question EDD request for IME exam lizdawiz82 2 4,265 11-17-2011, 02:23 AM
Last Post: lizdawiz82