• Please excuse our dust
  • We are continuing the redesign of our forums
  • We'll get there eventually!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long do I have to wait for settlement after Therapy, QME's Eval and Deposition?
I live in California. I was injured at work on June 2010. I went through Therapy, X-Rays, MRI's, I had 2 QME's Reports - last QME Evaluation was on May 17, 2011. I received the Report on Jun 23, 2011 where it says that I'm permanent and stationary with a rating of 42 % permanent impairment. I went to a Deposition on May 26, 2011. And now I have an appt with a Psychologist because of my depression. Is it normal that I haven't heard from my Attorney since the Deposition?. How long do I have to wait for trial?(If I'm going to trail) Is there a time limit after deposition to go to Trail? what Can I expect? How long do I have to wait for settlement?.

yes it's normal for any atty with a full time practice.
there may not be a trial. many cases with disputes are negotiated into a settlement buyout -Compromise & Release.
no time limit
depends on whether your depression is related to your injury/job and how long treatment may be required before you have reached MMI for that condition as well.
finalizing permanent impairment benefits or negotiating a C&R cannot take place until you have reached maximum recovery from all work related conditions.

Can I ask why you had 2 QME's? Usually a represented IW is sent to an AME (Agreed Medical Examiner).

Are you working?

WC is not like the legal system as most of us know. A trial is the last thing you want. Most settlements are negotiated between the attorneys and a Workers Comp Judge at a MSC (Mandatory Settlement Conference). If an agreement can't be made, then the case goes to trial. There is no jury at a WC trial. Just you, attorneys, judge, witnesses. It all depends on what is being disputed. Rather complex and everyone's situation is different.

I suggest you familiarize yourself with WC law in California. Here's a link to all the DWC fact sheets, http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/iwguides.html
Let Go, and Let God......

(07-27-2011, 01:16 PM)chrischris Wrote: Can I ask why you had 2 QME's? Usually a represented IW is sent to an AME (Agreed Medical Examiner).

Are you working?

WC is not like the legal system as most of us know. A trial is the last thing you want. Most settlements are negotiated between the attorneys and a Workers Comp Judge at a MSC (Mandatory Settlement Conference). If an agreement can't be made, then the case goes to trial. There is no jury at a WC trial. Just you, attorneys, judge, witnesses. It all depends on what is being disputed. Rather complex and everyone's situation is different.

I suggest you familiarize yourself with WC law in California. Here's a link to all the DWC fact sheets, http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/iwguides.html

I suppose My attorney and IC agreed to send me to a QME
No, I haven't worked since the injury.
Thank you to all of you who took the time to read my posting!

when the atty and carrier agree to single doctor to give the medical evidence that is called an Agreed Medical Examination not the same as a QME from the state.
looks like a misuse of terms.

(07-27-2011, 01:16 PM)chrischris Wrote: Can I ask why you had 2 QME's? Usually a represented IW is sent to an AME (Agreed Medical Examiner).

Are you working?

1 QME 2 Evaluations.
(07-27-2011, 06:51 PM)1171 Wrote: when the atty and carrier agree to single doctor to give the medical evidence that is called an Agreed Medical Examination not the same as a QME from the state.
looks like a misuse of terms.

No, It was actually a QME - I guess I'm not sure who picked the QME because I received Letters from my attorney, from the defense attorney and the QME to let me know about the appt.

generally the state of california Department of workers compensation sends you a panel of doctors from which to choose.
more on the QME process here
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/medicalUnit/faqIW.html

I went to a qme before I had an attorney. After I was repped I was sent back to same qme for rating. Ive so been sent to ame for different body parts that qme wasn't skilled to rate. It depends on your situation at the time.

I hope you get the medical care you need, and make a full recovery.

It takes time to maze thru the system. No one but the injured worker is in any hurry to fix you or settle your case.
Let Go, and Let God......

Ok your attorney trying to get you some disability for psyche which is very common. The idea to increase overall level of your PD in either attempt to recover additional money from SIF ( secondary injury fund) or simply get your more money. Your depo, most likely, was a result of your attorney filing additional App and subsequent denial of psyche injury by carrier. There is no statutory limit on settlement as long as parties are engaged in discovery ( AME , depo etc. is part of it). The only pitfall to this strategy is separate DOI ( unless psyche is compensable consequence to original injury) which will trigger Benson decision and ultimately will reduce your overall level of PD. As long as you receiving PD and med. Treatment is provided and additional discovery in process, parties are not obligated to settle

(07-28-2011, 12:37 AM)chrischris Wrote: I went to a qme before I had an attorney. After I was repped I was sent back to same qme for rating. Ive so been sent to ame for different body parts that qme wasn't skilled to rate. It depends on your situation at the time.

I hope you get the medical care you need, and make a full recovery.

It takes time to maze thru the system. No one but the injured worker is in any hurry to fix you or settle your case.

-I agree with you " No one but the injured worker is in any hurry to fix and settle your case".

-Thank you for your concerns and wishes. I very much appreciate you taking the time to read my postings
(07-28-2011, 01:27 AM)Sr.CE Wrote: Ok your attorney trying to get you some disability for psyche which is very common. The idea to increase overall level of your PD in either attempt to recover additional money from SIF ( secondary injury fund) or simply get your more money. Your depo, most likely, was a result of your attorney filing additional App and subsequent denial of psyche injury by carrier. There is no statutory limit on settlement as long as parties are engaged in discovery ( AME , depo etc. is part of it). The only pitfall to this strategy is separate DOI ( unless psyche is compensable consequence to original injury) which will trigger Benson decision and ultimately will reduce your overall level of PD. As long as you receiving PD and med. Treatment is provided and additional discovery in process, parties are not obligated to settle

Actually, my PTP was the one who requested the apps and then when I had the QME Evaluation, at the request of my PTP, QME was the one who made the Psych app. I'm very scared -I only see pain in my future.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should I quit or wait to be fired? I NEED HELP! ajdrivesayota 5 1,421 02-23-2015, 07:50 PM
Last Post: California_Help
Toungue How long does it usually take after IME to get your settlement in the state of WA? davnlar99 4 2,421 09-05-2014, 03:02 PM
Last Post: Manley2
  AME Deposition Shadow 3 2,861 03-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Settlement and not what will help in the long run jeepstang 8 4,411 02-04-2014, 06:36 PM
  Workers comp wait Trucker496505 2 2,012 11-16-2013, 11:00 PM
Last Post: Manley2
  Question about deposition Backache1217 3 1,573 06-17-2013, 01:30 PM
Question deposition hamrs_62 2 2,232 06-09-2013, 06:34 AM
Last Post: hamrs_62
  Florida 7 day injury wait before pay Sunnyflorida 2 1,460 03-15-2013, 07:33 PM
Last Post: jayc123
  long story- attorney suggests proposing settlement before qme zzebra 10 21,440 10-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Settlement taking too long 2blessed 1 4,064 09-04-2012, 06:51 PM