Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
garden is almost in
I have been on the internet looking for ways to help with the garden putting newspaper around plants will biodegrade in time and will keep sunlight out of soil no sun no weeds...hay around the plants again blocking sun so no weeds grow......just a question as anyone used the weed be gone stuff? and not much done in garden today too sore from yesterday
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Jane stay away from the weed be gone, bad bad stuff. Staw works great, if you cna get it. also manure on top of newpaper, cover with straw,and have kids tamp it down. I will be there, already broke down and put up whole strawbeerys in syurp this year, the beries were on sale.
The good news is,"You can get used to anything."
The bad news is,"You can get used to anything."
jayne My father in law also does the hey but with sheep manure on it .... it works great but is messy .... to clean up later
Sorry Jayne

I have used it but only on the lawn - not on the garden - don't think I would on the garden. Specially since they say not to use it on seedlings.

As for mulch - we would use dried leaves - especially on the strawberry beds and between the rows and around the plants - really helped keep the weeds down and also added much need nutrients to the garden.
Holy crap everyone...With all the poop we put on our gardens you would have to start to wonder how in world all those vegatables taste so good.

Hubby puts straw around plants...but first puts fish fertilizer in the ground and around the plants. I use the mircle grow spray.

Sithie..I would of never got the syrup made. Two strawberries for me one for the syrup...three for me... one for syrup....lol Sure sounds good.
oh lord I hurt...after church the family and neighbors all helped to get the garden in and except fot the melons it is in. I noticed the beets were up today and every row is crooked so the bounty will be awesome......however I have no idea what I am gonna do with so much produce...... the mennonite families will come and can all that we dont so none will go to waste.......tomorrow I am spending the day in bed........I hope flippenout is keeping the storms from my garden and lets the rain fall gently and when needed
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Jayne, My neighbor has a LARGE garden,, so I don,t need one He shares. He uses newspapers down his rows and around plants then covers with leaves , NO WEEDS garden sure looks good. weed be gone will kill your seedlings. I had a friend who used newspapers and then grass clippings, what a mess weeds and grass everywhere. You can also use newspapers and shavings bought from any animal supply store in lg bags.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Summer Garden Bummer Knees 10 3,556 06-20-2012, 11:33 PM
Last Post: bodybuilder1958
  garden RNvic 20 7,154 09-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  A computer garden to cheer you up! monster 23 12,467 04-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Last Post: RNvic
  oh my garden time jayne 3 2,510 01-11-2009, 04:50 PM
Last Post: jayne
  Fall Garden Bummer Knees 3 4,375 08-31-2008, 10:56 AM
Last Post: Bummer Knees