I have had surgery on both rotator cuffs-both major repairs, both also acromioplasty. No frozen shoulder, both w/c, 30 to 36 physical therapy sessions each. I'm in California. First surgery about 7 yrs ago, second 2 yrs ago. Received p&s settlements both times. Ins. very cooperative. I did not feel the need to have an atty due to newer, mega-specific Cali wkr cmp regs. Only further medical care I've needed is occasional ibuprofen. Now, insurer is offering $7000 buyout for future medical. Only wk restriction is weight limit for lifting. I'm 60 yrs old. Does anyone know if this is a reasonable offer for both shoulders or one shoulder? I'm kind of a babe in the woods about this sort of stuff. thanks for any help i can get.
05-23-2011, 06:53 PM
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2011, 03:24 PM by 1171.)
I'll give it a shot...
are you saying all disability has been paid out on both claims?
I assume the $7K is for both claims. do you know?
when was your last medical visit and what did the doc say?
I assume your treatment the last year has been minimal as far as doc visits x-rays etc.?
are you working?
are you on medicare or will be in the next 18mths?
All disability has been paid on both claims. I haven't seen dr about 1st surgery in about 6 yrs w/30 lb prm liftng restriction.
Last seen for second shoulder about 2 yrs ago, no perm restrictions. I'm on state disability currently, but nothing to do with this. Not on medicare.
I don't know whether $7k is for one or both, as they were two separate cases.Only medical care I've needed on either one is occasional ibuprofen. Thank you for your reply.
Never would I consider or recomend a medical buyout.
You never know what the future will hold for you with the need of future medical treatment.
05-24-2011, 06:01 PM
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2011, 01:54 PM by 1171.)
i really question a "no impairment finding" after serious shoulder surgery.
...but with such a clean result and little or no treatment recently I doubt you will need much in the future unless there is a new injury.
the $7,000 is a reasonable amount for any permanent disability (about 10%) if you were to get it rated.
If it's the same employer and same carrier, I suspect they will include both claims in the compromise & release.
I would probably accept the offer.
hope all works out well for you.
Janis, your email spam protection is kicking back an authorization to us every time someone responds to this thread. Please whitelist the address firstname.lastname@example.org or unsubscribe from thread notifications. Otherwise we will be forced to delete your account.