Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
MS Contin ER (Extended release morphine
(05-25-2011, 12:03 AM)UndercovrAngel Wrote: I was prescribed the Kadian for the continual pain that I was in due to having RSD/CRPS from toes to hip in both legs. I actually started feeling the pain worsening after about 8 hours. But I took the lortab until the 12 hours had passed in order to take my next dose. This was done due to the fact that my system metabolized the kadian at a higher rate than normal.

ANgel ^j^

(05-23-2011, 10:06 PM)Cycler Wrote: almost :

Kadian is Morphine Sulfate in an tamper proof extended release form that is used once a day as it's released in the gut during normal transit time, There isn't much reason to prescribe it twice a day, just increase the strength to pain needs. Doing more frequently doesn't really get you anywhere ad offers no advantages over once a day dosing. If you need more relief you increase the dose, not the frequency.

MS COntin on the other hand is Morphine Sulfate in a contunoulsy released version that is an early attempt but doesn't work very well as studies show it barely reaches 6 hours let alone 8 as it is supposed to be dosed. So basically it works like a short acting opiate less potent that percocet.

Kadian is MS Contin just name brand. I am having mild nausea and a little tired. Thxs for the info.

[/quote]

That is one possibility of course but not the most likely explanation given the delivery system. Given your long time membersip and number of posts I will assume thst you were already an opiate dependent patient st the time you were placed on Kadian . Also assuming normal gut transit times; I. E , you have a normal digestion, you could not have metabolized morphine thst had not yet been released from the spheres ( look up the structure of the Kadian balls).

While you can metabolize the available drug faster than some the matter is generally solved by increasing the dose strength asore effective than frequency. Side effects at higher doses are a consideration though.

(05-25-2011, 12:03 AM)UndercovrAngel Wrote: I was prescribed the Kadian for the continual pain that I was in due to having RSD/CRPS from toes to hip in both legs. I actually started feeling the pain worsening after about 8 hours. But I took the lortab until the 12 hours had passed in order to take my next dose. This was done due to the fact that my system metabolized the kadian at a higher rate than normal.

ANgel ^j^

Kadian is Morphine Sulfate in an tamper proof extended release form that is used once a day as it's released in the gut during normal transit time, There isn't much reason to prescribe it twice a day, just increase the strength to pain needs. Doing more frequently doesn't really get you anywhere ad offers no advantages over once a day dosing. If you need more relief you increase the dose, not the frequency.

MS COntin on the other hand is Morphine Sulfate in a contunoulsy released version that is an early attempt but doesn't work very well as studies show it barely reaches 6 hours let alone 8 as it is supposed to be dosed. So basically it works like a short acting opiate less potent that percocet.

Kadian is MS Contin just name brand. I am having mild nausea and a little tired. Thxs for the info.

[/quote]

I don't know where you got your information from, but Kadian is not extended release. There may be a Kadian ER, but I was on a continuosly released dose. Thus the reason for the 2 doses a day.

I have a very strange metabolism. I have been known to come out of sedation during surgery .. and is anotated in three different medical records. One dental and the other 2 medical.

Angel ^j^

(05-28-2011, 09:27 AM)Cycler Wrote:
(05-25-2011, 12:03 AM)UndercovrAngel Wrote: [font=Tahoma][size=medium]I was prescribed the Kadian for the continual pain that I was in due to having RSD/CRPS from toes to hip in both legs. I actually started feeling the pain worsening after about 8 hours. But I took the lortab until the 12 hours had passed in order to take my next dose. This was done due to the fact that my system metabolized the kadian at a higher rate than normal.

ANgel ^j^

That is one possibility of course but not the most likely explanation given the delivery system. Given your long time membersip and number of posts I will assume thst you were already an opiate dependent patient st the time you were placed on Kadian . Also assuming normal gut transit times; I. E , you have a normal digestion, you could not have metabolized morphine thst had not yet been released from the spheres ( look up the structure of the Kadian balls).

While you can metabolize the available drug faster than some the matter is generally solved by increasing the dose strength asore effective than frequency. Side effects at higher doses are a consideration though.

ANgel ^j^

[/quote]

[/quote]

I've always been crazy, but it keeps me from going insane.
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open

I am opiate dependent. I wore a Fentanyl Patch for 5 years before I went to Generic Morphine ER. My other meds have not changed which are Hyrocodone 10/500 5x a day as needed for break through pain; Lyrica 150 3x a day, celebrex 200 1x a day.

I have been on the 30mg of morphine ER that I take 2x a day for a week and I will say IT CONSTIPATED ME BIGTIME! I never had this "bad" of a issue with the 25 mcg/hr Fentanyl patch.

I am taking Miralax and a stool softner but still have "no desire" to number 2. I generally go everyday but not anymore. IF I meditate,every 2 days LOL

ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR CONSTIPATION WOES?

Sure, get off all the opiates, they don't work anyway do they

( one would have to define the term " work" in that regard which may well vary )

The great exPEriment of treating non- malignant pain started by the Feds
With their Pain The Fifth Vital Sign program of the past
Fifteen years has sadly resulted in many thousands of accidental deaths while returning almost no one back to work. Failure in other words.

But to the short term - Senekot and reduction of opiates, morphine being the worst offender.

Oh, and Angel- when have you ever known me to post anything non-factual ?
I stand by my statement on Kadian, it exists only in extended release form.

(05-29-2011, 10:46 AM)freebird Wrote: I am opiate dependent. I wore a Fentanyl Patch for 5 years before I went to Generic Morphine ER. My other meds have not changed which are Hyrocodone 10/500 5x a day as needed for break through pain; Lyrica 150 3x a day, celebrex 200 1x a day.

I have been on the 30mg of morphine ER that I take 2x a day for a week and I will say IT CONSTIPATED ME BIGTIME! I never had this "bad" of a issue with the 25 mcg/hr Fentanyl patch.

I am taking Miralax and a stool softner but still have "no desire" to number 2. I generally go everyday but not anymore. IF I meditate,every 2 days LOL

(05-29-2011, 03:47 PM)Cycler Wrote: Sure, get off all the opiates, they don't work anyway do they

( one would have to define the term " work" in that regard which may well vary )

The great exPEriment of treating non- malignant pain started by the Feds
With their Pain The Fifth Vital Sign program of the past
Fifteen years has sadly resulted in many thousands of accidental deaths while returning almost no one back to work. Failure in other words.

But to the short term - Senekot and reduction of opiates, morphine being the worst offender.

Oh, and Angel- when have you ever known me to post anything non-factual ?
I stand by my statement on Kadian, it exists only in extended release form.

(05-29-2011, 10:46 AM)freebird Wrote: I am opiate dependent. I wore a Fentanyl Patch for 5 years before I went to Generic Morphine ER. My other meds have not changed which are Hyrocodone 10/500 5x a day as needed for break through pain; Lyrica 150 3x a day, celebrex 200 1x a day.

UGH..... Opiates DO work for chronic pain relief. The side effects can suck but....

Free,
Yes the side effects are the limiting factor in narcotic use for legitimate pain and unfortunately for you, morphine is the worst offender when it comes to constipation, the reason why there are so many semi-synthetic and synthetic opioids- trying to lesson the side effect profiles.

You mentioned stool softeners and not effective. Correct, they won't work.
Opioids effect the guts own nervous system to stop the normal peristaltic contractile wave that moves contents along the bowel. A stool softener simply changes the problem to no push for the mush. The other type of constipation preparations are ones that act as irritants to the bowel wall and thereby hope to stimulate some neural response to wake the bowel up. These are generally root extracts such as senna. Unfortunately it's much harder to wake up the bowel than preventing it from stopping so the best physicians prescribe Senekot or similar when starting morphine with their patients as it certainly won't hurt. Otherwise you may have to back way off the morphine to solve the problem.

My answer is to go back to the Fentanyl Patch. I never had major constipation issues like this and Fentanyl is wayyyyyy more effective than Morphine for pain. I called the Doctor already. Will probably make a 220 mile round trip tomorrow.

Makes sense. And so why is it that you are not on Prialt via catheter or a SCS ?
State of the art these days and you rarely see pain centers instituting high does opiates anymore.

(05-30-2011, 11:28 PM)Cycler Wrote: Makes sense. And so why is it that you are not on Prialt via catheter or a SCS ?
State of the art these days and you rarely see pain centers instituting high does opiates anymore.

Well, I guess I could google what you said above. Smile I have not a clue what you said. LOL

IF this is a Pain Pump, My Doctor is against it(TO YOUNG LOL) and personally I know little about it.
I do receive RFA as needed but my injury is Thoracic so Nerve burning of the facet nerves is limited.

I do use a Ten's unit along with my cocktail of 5 different drugs. With the right meds. I do fine BUT Morphine stinks!

No one is too young for a pain pump - kid down the street has one at age 26 after a bad cycle accident which allowed him to get off all the narcs that made him dipey and is now working a 40 hour week in a reasonably physically demanding job. SO maybe you shoudl ask if your guy even does them as there may be a financial disincentive to refer you out and fix your pain. Are you a patient or an annuity in other words?

I recommend you do Google Prialt. There's simply no place for "five different drugs" in todays' pain management world - especially all the the tylenol you are on. Scares me to death even reading that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Employer required "full release" violates ADA law... 1171 7 8,874 04-13-2018, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Billy Miller
  COMPROMISE & RELEASE injured man 3 1,448 06-18-2016, 09:43 PM
Last Post: 1171
  MSC After compromise and release isitdone 1 1,932 12-23-2014, 01:03 PM
  California- Request for release of info CaliMom 2 1,821 12-22-2014, 01:24 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  compromise and release . HELP! selfrory 10 8,168 10-18-2013, 03:15 AM
Last Post: selfrory
  Doctor's Release Buster17A 1 3,114 06-14-2013, 03:28 PM
  Problems with full duty release yvill1 1 3,758 04-03-2013, 12:30 AM