Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
MS Contin ER (Extended release morphine
My PM Doctor has switched me to MS Contin because the Fentanyl Patch is irritating my skin. I have been on the Fentany patch since 2006.

I took my 1st pill 3 hours ago. I feel nauseated a little. Any one have experience with using MS Contin ER? How did it work for you?

I didnt stay on the patches long they really made me sick but could it be from NOT having a patch on? I really dont know....I have always had good luck with calling my druggist....can you call them?if this is the begining of withdrawal you really need to know what to expect...and if there is something they can do to fix it
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

I talked to my druggist about withdrawals swapping from Fentanyl Patch to ER Morphine.
He thought I should do okay since I am already opiate dependent. I tool off the Fentanyl Patch 8 hours before the 1st 30 mg ER Morphine.

I am actually feeling better. Just a little shaky... I thought I could get some feedback from users of ER Morphine.

Constipation has always been a struggle for me and I do eat lots of fiber fruit etc. I do okay. I hope the morphine ER is easier in this area than the Fentanyl patch was.

I hope for you also....I eat alot of popcorn....people tease me alot about my popcorn but it helps alot
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Although I was never on MS Contin, I did take Kadian (morphine) 60 mgs 3 times a day with lortab 10/500 for breakthrough and was also on 90 mgs of cymbalta (although main use is for depression, it is also prscribed off use for neurological pain).

I know when I was first prescribed kadian at 20mgs then titrated up to 30 mgs and finally the 60's. When I first started taking it, I also had problems with nausea and the shakes. But once my system adjusted to it, I was able to take it and do all my daily chores, including driving with no sidee affects. This may just be your system adjusting to a new med. A patch and a pill is concieved differently by our bodies. Since this is your first attempt at using the MS Contin, I would give it a week or so and if still feeling nauseaus and shaky, contact your Dr and let him know about it.

Angel ^j^
I've always been crazy, but it keeps me from going insane.
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open

(05-22-2011, 02:05 PM)UndercovrAngel Wrote: Although I was never on MS Contin, I did take Kadian (morphine) 60 mgs 3 times a day with lortab 10/500 for breakthrough and was also on 90 mgs of cymbalta (although main use is for depression, it is also prscribed off use for neurological pain).

I know when I was first prescribed kadian at 20mgs then titrated up to 30 mgs and finally the 60's. When I first started taking it, I also had problems with nausea and the shakes. But once my system adjusted to it, I was able to take it and do all my daily chores, including driving with no sidee affects. This may just be your system adjusting to a new med. A patch and a pill is concieved differently by our bodies. Since this is your first attempt at using the MS Contin, I would give it a week or so and if still feeling nauseaus and shaky, contact your Dr and let him know about it.

Angel ^j^

Kadian is MS Contin just name brand. I am having mild nausea and a little tired. Thxs for the info.

almost :

Kadian is Morphine Sulfate in an tamper proof extended release form that is used once a day as it's released in the gut during normal transit time, There isn't much reason to prescribe it twice a day, just increase the strength to pain needs. Doing more frequently doesn't really get you anywhere ad offers no advantages over once a day dosing. If you need more relief you increase the dose, not the frequency.

MS COntin on the other hand is Morphine Sulfate in a contunoulsy released version that is an early attempt but doesn't work very well as studies show it barely reaches 6 hours let alone 8 as it is supposed to be dosed. So basically it works like a short acting opiate less potent that percocet.

Kadian is MS Contin just name brand. I am having mild nausea and a little tired. Thxs for the info.
[/quote]

Very good info, good to know..

Nice to see ya cycler........been awhile......

(05-23-2011, 10:06 PM)Cycler Wrote: almost :

Kadian is Morphine Sulfate in an tamper proof extended release form that is used once a day as it's released in the gut during normal transit time, There isn't much reason to prescribe it twice a day, just increase the strength to pain needs. Doing more frequently doesn't really get you anywhere ad offers no advantages over once a day dosing. If you need more relief you increase the dose, not the frequency.

MS COntin on the other hand is Morphine Sulfate in a contunoulsy released version that is an early attempt but doesn't work very well as studies show it barely reaches 6 hours let alone 8 as it is supposed to be dosed. So basically it works like a short acting opiate less potent that percocet.

[/quote

Actually after looking at prescription bottle, I have Morphine Sulphate ER. It is a generic.

I was prescribed the Kadian for the continual pain that I was in due to having RSD/CRPS from toes to hip in both legs. I actually started feeling the pain worsening after about 8 hours. But I took the lortab until the 12 hours had passed in order to take my next dose. This was done due to the fact that my system metabolized the kadian at a higher rate than normal.

ANgel ^j^

(05-23-2011, 10:06 PM)Cycler Wrote: almost :

[/quote]

I've always been crazy, but it keeps me from going insane.
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Employer required "full release" violates ADA law... 1171 7 9,172 04-13-2018, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Billy Miller
  COMPROMISE & RELEASE injured man 3 1,605 06-18-2016, 09:43 PM
Last Post: 1171
  MSC After compromise and release isitdone 1 2,037 12-23-2014, 01:03 PM
  California- Request for release of info CaliMom 2 1,914 12-22-2014, 01:24 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  compromise and release . HELP! selfrory 10 8,669 10-18-2013, 03:15 AM
Last Post: selfrory
  Doctor's Release Buster17A 1 3,204 06-14-2013, 03:28 PM
  Problems with full duty release yvill1 1 3,848 04-03-2013, 12:30 AM