Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vicodin-How quickily can one become addicted? Trying to avoid pain meds
(06-03-2011, 07:57 AM)bronco54501 Wrote: Is it time for some popcorn......?

Kettle corn please

you don't need the calories - plain, no butter.

(06-03-2011, 02:21 PM)Cycler Wrote: you don't need the calories - plain, no butter.

I agree; I have lost 90+ lbs in a years time. SO pop it by Air and lets watch A few good Men.

freebird...Wink http://www.youtube.com/embed/yPP0pf9MoKU?rel=0

(05-12-2011, 04:26 PM)UndercovrAngel Wrote: There is a big difference between addiction and dependence. Most of us that have to take narcotics for chronic pain, are dependent on them, not addicted. Yes, if we go off of them, we will have withdrawals just like an addict. But here is the difference:

dependence: Physical dependence is the body's adaptation to a particular drug. In other words, the individual's body gets used to receiving regular doses of a certain medication. When the medication is abruptly stopped or the dosage is reduced too quickly, the person will experience withdrawal symptoms.

Addiction:Addiction is a primary, chronic, neurobiologic disease with genetic, psychosocial and environmental factors that influence its development and manifestations. It is characterized by behaviours that include one or more of the following:

loss of control over drug use
continued use despite harm
compulsive use and craving.

Although most chronic pain patients who take opioids on a long-term basis will become physically dependent on them, very few will ever become addicted to them. The rare few who do develop a problem are often highly susceptible to addiction due to a genetic predisposition.

Angel^j^

One of the reasons that you stay in pain, is because you aren't using the medication as prescribed. Once your pain is at a certain level, it is going to take more of the medication to bring the pain level down to where it is even tolerable.

By starting and stopping the vicodin as you do, you are setting yourself up in a cycle that isn't doing your body any good. And it's going to be even worse after you have surgery and begin PT if you don't start now in keeping the pain under control.

One doesn't have to take the full amount as prescribed, but enough on a daily basis that the vicodin keeps the pain under control. So if you can go 6 hours before the pain starts getting bad, do so. If you need to take 4 a day.. that is what your body needs in order for the vicodin to work. You need to attain/maintain a level of vicodin in your system so that the brain gets the signal that you aren't in pain.

If you read my post above this one, then you will have a better understanding between addiction vs dependence.

Angel ^j^

(05-11-2011, 12:34 PM)allison Wrote: I am allergic to many non-narcotic pain meds, anti inflammatories specifically. I take Vicodin when the pain is too much. I think I am paranoid about becoming addicted, so I stay in pain a lot of the time. How quickly can one become addicted? When I take it, I take 3-6 a day (2-3 times a week). It's been almost three months since my injury. I am still awaiting a surgery for knee. I get tired of the pain. I know I will need the medicine to work after surgery and for PT. Thanks for your input.

Excellent post
(05-12-2011, 05:38 PM)freebird Wrote: Hydrocodone (Vicodin) is not for long term use. It is for Acute pain and as she described on a as need basis.

Unless a patient has been declared in a Chronic pain state, I would never recommend taking Narcotics unless absolutely needed.

Dependent... Addictive..... Words make no difference to me. It is still a addiction. I wish I was not Dependent. So many side effects.

Another excellent post. You've been there, done that. So have I, and I understand completely.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pain meds redsoxfan 8 5,087 05-11-2015, 12:05 PM
Last Post: redsoxfan
  CPAP and pain meds Manley2 0 1,892 02-23-2013, 10:56 PM
Last Post: Manley2
  Pain meds and weather? ammowoman 9 6,381 11-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Last Post: sonny1
  Are your Doctors over-prescribing Pain Meds? 1171 11 12,889 07-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Last Post: 1171
  pain meds after mmi bama50 5 7,292 02-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Last Post: UndercovrAngel
  just back from pain management all new meds inpainokla 15 10,693 01-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Last Post: Cycler
  Who deals with the decision to take pain meds? bagpussinamerica 15 9,717 01-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Last Post: bagpussinamerica
  Pain meds denied once again! Lilly 6 6,349 03-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Pooh