Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vicodin-How quickily can one become addicted? Trying to avoid pain meds
I am allergic to many non-narcotic pain meds, anti inflammatories specifically. I take Vicodin when the pain is too much. I think I am paranoid about becoming addicted, so I stay in pain a lot of the time. How quickly can one become addicted? When I take it, I take 3-6 a day (2-3 times a week). It's been almost three months since my injury. I am still awaiting a surgery for knee. I get tired of the pain. I know I will need the medicine to work after surgery and for PT. Thanks for your input.

(05-11-2011, 12:34 PM)allison Wrote: I am allergic to many non-narcotic pain meds, anti inflammatories specifically. I take Vicodin when the pain is too much. I think I am paranoid about becoming addicted, so I stay in pain a lot of the time. How quickly can one become addicted? When I take it, I take 3-6 a day (2-3 times a week). It's been almost three months since my injury. I am still awaiting a surgery for knee. I get tired of the pain. I know I will need the medicine to work after surgery and for PT. Thanks for your input.

Hard to answer, everyone is different.. Are you on 5-500, 10-500....? I was on them over a year on 5-500 2 every 4 to 6 hours and you do become dependant on them.. Even though we hate pain, pain is also your friend and tells you when you have pushed to far... But I came off vicodin in 1 week, withdrawls were minmal, but when I came off oxy's thats another story.. We do get addicted for the one reason, takes some pain away.

I have been on 10/500 Hydrocodone 5x a day for 5 years and yes it is very addictive. Vicodin is a name brand for Hydrocodone.
I use Vicodin for break through pain along with a Fentanyl patch, Lyrica, Celebrex and Ambien.
This cocktail of drugs was prescribed after my surgery failed to give me pain relief.

IF you can get by without narcotics, DO NOT take them. Really decide what you are willing to tolerate. My pain meds do not totally relieve my pain.
I accept the fact I am dependent on Narcotics. That is the IW's wording for being addicted. So many "other" side effects also.......

I will say if you can go a couple of days without the pain meds with no withdrawal's you are currently fine. You will know when the body crave's the meds I promise you.

Never think the narcotic's will totally relieve the pain. Vicodin is generally used for acute pain not chronic.

Be honest with yourself and do not take Narcotics unless you absolutely have to.

There is a big difference between addiction and dependence. Most of us that have to take narcotics for chronic pain, are dependent on them, not addicted. Yes, if we go off of them, we will have withdrawals just like an addict. But here is the difference:

dependence: Physical dependence is the body's adaptation to a particular drug. In other words, the individual's body gets used to receiving regular doses of a certain medication. When the medication is abruptly stopped or the dosage is reduced too quickly, the person will experience withdrawal symptoms.

Addiction:Addiction is a primary, chronic, neurobiologic disease with genetic, psychosocial and environmental factors that influence its development and manifestations. It is characterized by behaviours that include one or more of the following:

loss of control over drug use
continued use despite harm
compulsive use and craving.

Although most chronic pain patients who take opioids on a long-term basis will become physically dependent on them, very few will ever become addicted to them. The rare few who do develop a problem are often highly susceptible to addiction due to a genetic predisposition.

Angel^j^

One of the reasons that you stay in pain, is because you aren't using the medication as prescribed. Once your pain is at a certain level, it is going to take more of the medication to bring the pain level down to where it is even tolerable.

By starting and stopping the vicodin as you do, you are setting yourself up in a cycle that isn't doing your body any good. And it's going to be even worse after you have surgery and begin PT if you don't start now in keeping the pain under control.

One doesn't have to take the full amount as prescribed, but enough on a daily basis that the vicodin keeps the pain under control. So if you can go 6 hours before the pain starts getting bad, do so. If you need to take 4 a day.. that is what your body needs in order for the vicodin to work. You need to attain/maintain a level of vicodin in your system so that the brain gets the signal that you aren't in pain.

If you read my post above this one, then you will have a better understanding between addiction vs dependence.

Angel ^j^

(05-11-2011, 12:34 PM)allison Wrote: I am allergic to many non-narcotic pain meds, anti inflammatories specifically. I take Vicodin when the pain is too much. I think I am paranoid about becoming addicted, so I stay in pain a lot of the time. How quickly can one become addicted? When I take it, I take 3-6 a day (2-3 times a week). It's been almost three months since my injury. I am still awaiting a surgery for knee. I get tired of the pain. I know I will need the medicine to work after surgery and for PT. Thanks for your input.

I've always been crazy, but it keeps me from going insane.
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open

Hydrocodone (Vicodin) is not for long term use. It is for Acute pain and as she described on a as need basis.

Unless a patient has been declared in a Chronic pain state, I would never recommend taking Narcotics unless absolutely needed.

Dependent... Addictive..... Words make no difference to me. It is still a addiction. I wish I was not Dependent. So many side effects.

I understand not wanting to take pain meds but at this stage I would worry more about causing injury to yourself due to not controlling your pain. When you allow the pain to take over your muscles tense up, cramp up and you could do more damage.

RICE, rest, ice, compression, elevation always helps. New pain creams like capcasin that contain small amounts of cayenne can also help elevate the pain.

Boswellia is a herb that can also help with pain control naturally, has few side-effects.

I'm also sensitive to many OTC remedies and I'm allergic to many narcotics. I'm recovering from a total knee done just 16 days ago, I've ended up taking more pain meds than I can ever recall in my life. But it's tapering down as the pain lessons and I move around more. It's more important to keep a handle on the pain and be comfortable.

Each of us on this forum do what we have to do to function day to day. Sometimes that means narcotics. I wouldn't worry so much right now about addiction, I would worry more about healing properly. It's almost impossible to say how quickly one can become addicted since no two people are alike when it comes to chemistry, general health, absorption of medication, etc.

Take care of yourself now worry about what may or may not happen later.
Bodybuilder1958

It is up to the individual person. I don't think anyone here should be telling anyone else to either take or not take meds. The decision should be between you and your doctor. Only you know your pain and what you can tolerate.
I will tell you that if used correctly for their intended purpose, it is hard to get addicted to pain meds. For every horror story you hear, there are 100 good stories of people using them when needed and discontinuing then when they weren't needed anymore.

The best advice is to talk to your doctor about your fears, and have him/ her explain the pros and cons, this way the two of you together can make an informed decision.
If you ask people their experiences, the people who have had good experiences will tell you to go for it, and the people who have bad experiences will tell you to avoid them like the plague.

Make an informed decision between you and your physician

Allison,

I am like you and allergic to non-narcotic pain medications. I was put on Vicodin for a head injury for the chronic hedaches that I was having. Unfortunately, the Vicodin did absolutely nothing for the headaches, and they were so bad that when the headaches started put me on the floor quick. I was to take only two a day as needed for pain. I stopped taking the Vicodin simply because it was doing nothing for me. You should really talk to your doctor about your concerns and see maybe if there is another treatment option for you.

Allison;
Vicodin is not particularly addicting, as it is a a weak opiate with minimal euphoric inducing properties - why people get addicted. but rather is extremely harmful to the liver, kidneys and heart because of the acetominophen content, low dose maybe but not day in and day out for years on end. the long term use of low does acetaminophen has been demonstrated to induce hypertension in healthy middle aged women in a study at Brigham Women's Hospital some years ago.

(05-23-2011, 10:13 PM)Cycler Wrote: Allison;
Vicodin is not particularly addicting, as it is a a weak opiate with minimal euphoric inducing properties - why people get addicted. but rather is extremely harmful to the liver, kidneys and heart because of the acetominophen content, low dose maybe but not day in and day out for years on end. the long term use of low does acetaminophen has been demonstrated to induce hypertension in healthy middle aged women in a study at Brigham Women's Hospital some years ago.

Not true. Hydrocode (Vicodin) is extremely addicting over long term use. It is a strong drug that will one day be classified as a sch. 2 drug per my PM Doctor.

IMO 10 mg of Hydrocodone works as well for me as 10 mg of Oxycodone. I have taken both and the Percocet's made me sweat bigtime with no better pain relief than Hydrocodone.
I wake up every morning "needing" my 10 mg of Hydrocodone to feel not shaky and everything else that comes with dependency. I have 5+ years of taking Hydrocodone 10/500 5x a day. I now take Morphine ER along with ....... Drug dependency SUCKS but Chronic pain sucks bigtime!

http://www.vicodin-addiction.com/

4000 MG of tylenol is the max. allowed daily. that would be 8 10/500 Hydrocodones.

http://www.drugs.com/tylenol.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pain meds redsoxfan 8 5,099 05-11-2015, 12:05 PM
Last Post: redsoxfan
  CPAP and pain meds Manley2 0 1,893 02-23-2013, 10:56 PM
Last Post: Manley2
  Pain meds and weather? ammowoman 9 6,389 11-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Last Post: sonny1
  Are your Doctors over-prescribing Pain Meds? 1171 11 12,909 07-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Last Post: 1171
  pain meds after mmi bama50 5 7,304 02-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Last Post: UndercovrAngel
  just back from pain management all new meds inpainokla 15 10,701 01-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Last Post: Cycler
  Who deals with the decision to take pain meds? bagpussinamerica 15 9,741 01-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Last Post: bagpussinamerica
  Pain meds denied once again! Lilly 6 6,354 03-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Pooh