Workers Compensation - Workmans Comp Service Center

Hello There, Guest! Register

Important Notice: We have deployed some new anti-spam measures that have enabled us to once again allow registration with a simple email verification. However, please do not hesitate to report suspected spam threads should they arise.

Spammers take note - your posts, if successful, will not last here. Our community is vigilant in identifying and reporting spam posts for IMMEDIATE removal. Don't waste your time!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is CRPS a factor in MMI?
04-08-2011, 11:37 AM,
is CRPS a factor in MMI?
Hi all,

It has been a while since being here. I have recently been diagnosed with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) and have been treating with a pain management Dr. (new med's and nerve blocks along with PT). I am wondering when my surgeon does my MMI determination/evaluation, does having CRPS factor in to the permanent loss of use? Maybe I am not wording it right, but I hope some one can make sense of it. I want to discontinue the injections as they are scary (front of neck) and not helping. I know my surgeon has no other treatment for me (that is why he sent me to PM Dr.) so that is why I ask. If I discontinue PM treatment and get put @ MMI, then I am at the end and ready to close this out, yet keep medical open 4ever. This is in NY, any input would be appreciated!Big Grin
Live, Laugh, Love ~
04-09-2011, 04:05 PM,
RE: is CRPS a factor in MMI?
If the CRPS has been acknowledged by WC as part of your claim, then yes, it will have to be figured in to your permanent loss. If it has not been accepted, then no, it will play no role in the decision.

If the nerve blocks aren't helping, then I would tell the Dr that you don't want any more. CRPS is not a one kind of treatment fits all sufferers. However, having had CRPS/RSD since 2007, I can tell you that you don't want to stop all treatment for it. It can progressively get worse and the sooner you get aggresive treatment, the better chance there is that you can go into remission (there is no cure for this disease). I have been suffering for over 2 years without treatment (loss of personal insurance and just recently got medicare, but no PM Dr's in the area that will accept it) and many is the day when I wish that I would just die rather than suffer one more day.

Angel ^j^
I've always been crazy, but it keeps me from going insane.
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open
04-09-2011, 05:33 PM,
(04-09-2011, 04:05 PM)UndercovrAngel Wrote: If the CRPS has been acknowledged by WC as part of your claim, then yes, it will have to be figured in to your permanent loss. If it has not been accepted, then no, it will play no role in the decision.

If the nerve blocks aren't helping, then I would tell the Dr that you don't want any more. CRPS is not a one kind of treatment fits all sufferers. However, having had CRPS/RSD since 2007, I can tell you that you don't want to stop all treatment for it. It can progressively get worse and the sooner you get aggresive treatment, the better chance there is that you can go into remission (there is no cure for this disease). I have been suffering for over 2 years without treatment (loss of personal insurance and just recently got medicare, but no PM Dr's in the area that will accept it) and many is the day when I wish that I would just die rather than suffer one more day.

Angel ^j^

Angel,

thanks for the input. I guess I don't want those injections anymore. I am not opposed to other treatments, just don't feel that the needle is worth it. I almost choked to death after the 2nd injection, because I could not drink for 2 hours and it felt like there was a tennis ball in my throat, making it very hard to swallow. I was choking so hard a weird zapping, tingling pain shot across my back and into my left arm. Have not felt good since!

I wonder if I can close out case & just keep trying treatment. I would assume that WC accepted the CRPS since they authorized any and all requests by PM Dr. Maybe not. I meet with my attorney Tuesday (for another matter) guess I should ask him!!!

Sorry you are not getting treatment. With the cost of medicaid/medicare the government should make a certain amount of doctors accept that insurance if not all of them.Sad
Live, Laugh, Love ~
04-09-2011, 10:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-09-2011, 11:45 PM by UndercovrAngel.)
If the CRPS is the only thing that is keeping your claim open, I would talk to your attorney about getting placed at MMI and getting an impairment rating so you can settle. However, I wouldn't settle the claim without one of 2 options.

1. open medical on the claim for the remainder of your life so that you can continue with pain management. Even if it is for nothing more than to continue on medications that will help abate the pain enough that you can try to continue having a semi-normal life. Although nothing is normal about being on wc.

2. An MSA (medicare set aside) that gives you so much money to use each year in regards to only your work comp injury. I would make sure that it would be a self administered set aside so that you have access to the money without having to go and ask for it. You would be accountable each year for the amount you use and have to turn in paperwork on it. But it is much easier than having to deal with an administrator.

There is still so much that is unknown about CRPS/RSD, and very little research being done on it. Most people I know that have this disease are more or less on medications to just sustain them day by day. SOme get relief from injections, others have what is called an SCS (spinal cord stimulator and a few even have pain pumps implanted.

I can tell you this. One thing that you will never want to ever do now that you have the CRPS diagnosis is use ice. It is a big no no and can even make it worse. CRPS interferes with nerve function, thus the tingling, burning sensation one gets. It also interferes with blood flow. One reason why you may feel cold in the extremity with the CRPS. Ice constricts blood flow as well, making the symptoms worse.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Angel ^j^
I've always been crazy, but it keeps me from going insane.
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open
12-04-2013, 10:59 AM,
(04-09-2011, 10:34 PM)UndercovrAngel Wrote: If the CRPS is the only thing that is keeping your claim open, I would talk to your attorney about getting placed at MMI and getting an impairment rating so you can settle. However, I wouldn't settle the claim without one of 2 options.

1. open medical on the claim for the remainder of your life so that you can continue with pain management. Even if it is for nothing more than to continue on medications that will help abate the pain enough that you can try to continue having a semi-normal life. Although nothing is normal about being on wc.

2. An MSA (medicare set aside) that gives you so much money to use each year in regards to only your work comp injury. I would make sure that it would be a self administered set aside so that you have access to the money without having to go and ask for it. You would be accountable each year for the amount you use and have to turn in paperwork on it. But it is much easier than having to deal with an administrator.

There is still so much that is unknown about CRPS/RSD, and very little research being done on it. Most people I know that have this disease are more or less on medications to just sustain them day by day. SOme get relief from injections, others have what is called an SCS (spinal cord stimulator and a few even have pain pumps implanted.

I can tell you this. One thing that you will never want to ever do now that you have the CRPS diagnosis is use ice. It is a big no no and can even make it worse. CRPS interferes with nerve function, thus the tingling, burning sensation one gets. It also interferes with blood flow. One reason why you may feel cold in the extremity with the CRPS. Ice constricts blood flow as well, making the symptoms worse.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Angel ^j^

Hi, I hope you are still on here and can help me! I, too have been diagnosed with RSD of both legs and one arm and face. I have been waiting for a permament hearing for months now. I don't know what to expect. I applied for disability social security and was told I was in fact disabled but missed the deadline to file so now its an appeal. Any thougts on what I can expect. Thank you
12-04-2013, 11:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2013, 11:54 AM by 1171.)
these posts are very old.
each state has it's own benefit system; there is no universal result.
every state treats permanent impairment differently as far as ratings & disability payments.
if your medical ratings are undisputed, you can expect the court to uphold them.
12-05-2013, 02:41 AM,
First thing I would do is get rid of that doctor, and find one that is trained in rsd/crps.

I've been inflicted with rsd since 2004. I've had 14 injections, finally had spinal cord surgery to implant spinal cord stimulator.

Got hit by a car in 2010 ripped wires out of spine, had to have 3rd surgery to repair.

Ripped wires out again 2monthes ago, had surgery last month to repair, developed serious infection confined to bed for over a month.

After ALL that, I wouldn't trade the stimulator for the injection.

I have a VERY good Board Certified Pain management Anesthesiologist. That is what you need.

RSD will spread in over 70% of rsd suffers'. Do not believe what doctors tell you before you check with rsd web page.

You can find ALL the info you need, along with support from fellow rsd suffers'.

DO NOT settle anything before you find out exactly how inflicted you are

RSD is a very highly rated disease, very hard too treat, and extremely hard too live with.

You are only beginning my friend, you have a long road ahead of you, and getting the right doctor is extremely important to your future care, along with any rating you may get. Also, rsd people will suffer a lot of depression, cause let me tell you, it only gets worse. You will need a psych. to help.

Like I said, you have along way to go, find you a good doctor, and good psych, and wait awhile.

I'm here for you if you have any questions.
12-05-2013, 07:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-05-2013, 07:54 PM by dusty boy.)
I have a currant thread for CRPS/RSD we all can post in if you want
http://www.workerscompensation.com/forum...?tid=14468

I can say this, having the disease is no picnic

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CRPS Settlement Midnigh51 12 1,969 06-25-2015, 12:02 PM
Last Post: dolphins
Sad Has anyone with CRPS/RSD have blisters show up out of no where? Sunshine7 16 13,278 03-30-2015, 08:08 PM
Last Post: dolphins
  crps/ wc whats gonna happen midget 6 2,251 01-27-2014, 01:36 PM
Last Post: 1171
  REVISED is CRPS part of total loss of use? sonny1 1 3,826 04-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Last Post: 1171
Exclamation CRPS/RSD traveling scared* sonny1 3 6,732 02-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Last Post: sonny1
Shy NY, any difference in CRPS/neuropathy? sonny1 1 7,091 02-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Last Post: UndercovrAngel
MyBB CRPS/RSD and The FCE test suffers from crps 42 31,200 01-07-2011, 01:32 AM
Last Post: bronco54501
  New find of CRPS after Final Admission of Liability lefty 8 8,851 11-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Last Post: lefty
  rsd/crps flipper 11 9,742 05-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Tuffy
  Acupuncture treatment for CRPS? Sunshine7 11 10,849 03-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Last Post: Sunshine7