• Please excuse our dust
  • We are continuing the redesign of our forums
  • We'll get there eventually!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bulging disk C5 - C6
I think the subject was covered so time ago, but I don't remeber it, and can't find it. I already know the worse out come. I have had three back surgeries. They were brought on as a result of work, some two years ago. I use my personal health issurance to find out why I have involintary twiching in my arm. I received a call yesterday from the dr. office stating I have a disk protrusion at c5-c6. After they get the results from the emg, they will call and set up an appointment. With the L5-S1, It was to late for conservative measures to be taken. Can someone shed some light on conservative measures for the C5-C6. Thank you.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. Jesus died for our sins. Soilders died for our freedom.

Conservative measures most likely is referring to less invasive types of modes of treatment. For instance surgery is very invasive, whereas pain management or Physical therapy is not considered invasive. Therefor pain management, messages, physical therapy would all be considered conservative measures. I hope that helps some Red
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

Geez AQA I had to take a couple of double takes at that title of yours. Now I see you are talking about bulging disks, not bulging dicks. I do believe there is a slight difference Wink

I too have c5-6 herniation. One of the conservative options is Epidural Steroid Injections. If you decide to go this route you may or may not get relief. I have not had success with the ESI's. Many others have. Further I would caution you that if you try them and after the second injection you have not had a measurable amount of relief insist that they be stopped. They are usually done in a session of 3 injections anywhere from 7 to 30 days apart. Sessions can be repeated up to 3 times every 12 months. Repeated sessions can be helpful if the first set brought relief. One thing to bear in mind is they are a temporary fix and almost always wear off and need repeated.

Repeated use of ESI can lead to nasty complications down the road. Do your research and make sure you fully understand the benefits and risks of ESI BEFORE you accept this type of treatment.

I honestly believe that WC likes to offer this as a treatment which initially gives you the illusion that you are better. Pain subsides, and even sometimes any numbness and tingling in the hands and fingers goes away, as the cortisone in those shots do tend to help reduce inflammation.

Now let's say for instance you are one that is offered the ESI and you have a good result. Pain goes away, numbness and tingling subsides, and walah you are feeling better. You get placed at MMI and the IME says you are 5-10% disabled. You are released and back to work. You settle out with the IC and close your claim out with WC.

Now fast forward say 2 or 3 years later. ESI's wear off and you are right back where you started only this time you get to pay for treatment as you have already settled your WC claim. Perhaps you are even worse off than the original injury suggested as since you had all that cortisone in there you didn't feel when you caused more damage in your cervical spine. What do you do then. This kind of thing can and often does happen to those who choose the ESI route. Yes you can repeat the series but before you go down that road please research all the pro's and con's of ESI especially on a repeat basis. Long term use of cortisone is very hard on your bones. It can cause premature loss of boney structure. So please do your homework if this is one of the conservative treatments offered to you for your bulging disk.

I am not saying this to try to scare you nor to persuade you one way or the other, just trying to save you some heartache down the road. Again, research this and make an informed decision about the use of ESI's.

As the other have mentioned there are other conservative treatment options as well. PT using heat, massage, and different exercise programs to strengthen the neck are just a few the treatments you might be offered.

Good luck to you and let us know how things turn out for you.

ND
Injured Female, OTR Truck Driver, from the state of Georgia.

AQA, I know what you have and all, but I can only offer my opinion, and that is to do what you think is best for you, and follow your Doctor's advice. Myself, I would also seek a second opinion from a Neurosurgeon.

New Driver, ever see this one before?
http://www.zimmer.com/z/ctl/op/global/ac...emplate/IN

It's like shock asorbers.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:New Driver, ever see this one before?
http://www.zimmer.com/z/ctl/op/global/ac...emplate/IN

It's like shock asorbers.

No I had not seen those BB. Seen some similar devices in an article in the Readers Digest a few months back. Thank you for the link, Maybe they will eventually come up with a similar device for the cervical spine. It would be wonderful. Perhaps if I live long enough for these new devices to get some good results I can look into it for the problems with my cervical spine. It sure makes a lot more sense than the traditional removal of discs and fusion techniques currently in use. The flexibility this device gives looks very enticing Vs fused together and the loss of ROM that is causes. Thanks BB.

ND

I like to share as I find the Medical feild coming up with new ways. In time, we might even see transplant for the spine, who will ever know. But as each day goes by, medical findings do become better. I just happy to share. And to be able to is all. I do think, there was a person from our old board, that had them placed in them. I never heard any more from them since. So, it's hard to say how their now doing.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

thank you all for your input. Sorry about the typo in the subject line. I changed it, as soon as I read your responce nd. If I am understaning every one. The process with the neck will be the revese of the back. With the back I had surgeries, pt, and at present esi. Thank-you.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. Jesus died for our sins. Soilders died for our freedom.

Hi AQA......I was going to give you a quick fix on how to solve the bulging dick......but sorry....donno what to do for the disc.
hehe sorry, had to say itBig Grin
I'll keep you and you back problems in my prayers , Lilly
Injured worker, & tired of it all! I'm too old for games!!

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!

Lilly Wrote:Hi AQA......I was going to give you a quick fix on how to solve the bulging dick......but sorry....donno what to do for the disc.
hehe sorry, had to say itBig Grin
I'll keep you and you back problems in my prayers , Lilly

Thanks Lilly I had thought of posting something like that but well Tongue

Good JOB LIlly.

Thank you AGA.

I do have to share a little story similar to this. Years ago in my home town, to tell you how long it was when the most upscale PC you could buy was a 386SX, the electronics store ran an add in the paper for that went something like this:

They are finally here the dream machine you have been waiting for the 386SX, it went on to describe the other specs on the machine up to and including, 3.5" floppy dick. [/b]

They ran the same add for over 2 weeks. I got so tickled over it I had to buy the machine, not really we were unpatiently awaiting the shipment. In fact we still have it now stored in the original carton in the basement. I saved a copy of the ad as well. Big Grin
[/b]
Good day,

ND

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lumbar disk herniation w possible Section 32 settlement Cowboys88 8 2,139 12-30-2014, 04:54 PM
Last Post: 1171
  CERVICAL STENOSIS - Bulging Discs RAT6MAN6 2 1,555 04-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Manley2
  Bulging Disks, Annular Tear, Doctor Says Back to Work Georgedroy 7 7,682 11-20-2011, 05:00 PM
Last Post: NYScomp
  fmla/herniate disk c4-c5 ybigjt 2 2,865 06-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Last Post: Cycler
  herni disk starluise5 5 2,612 01-30-2009, 10:06 AM
Last Post: starluise5
  ACL and Disk Herniation sstirling80 7 3,027 01-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Last Post: sstirling80
  workmans comp say herniated disk....never herniated bagpussinamerica 9 10,135 11-21-2008, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Still in Limbo
  Herniated disk/carpal tunnel katicabogar 13 11,999 02-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Last Post: kate
  bulging disk tweety00 6 3,580 06-05-2007, 07:26 AM
Last Post: capricorn