Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone have Trigger Point Injections?
Hi,

I wondered if any of you have had trigger point injections and if they helped and how painful they were?

I went to my back doctor and apparently because of my shoulder injury and how I have guarded it, I now have severe pain on right side of neck, top of shoulder and between shoulder blades more to the right. The pain gets so bad that I practically live on a rotation of ice and heat.

The doc came in to do them and I said no (horrible needle phobia) so he gave me 2 weeks of PT to try and then the injections if PT doesn't work. Well PT is not working and I'm also doing chiro.

The doc told me the injection sites would be the side of my neck, back of scull area where the neck meets, shoulder muscle where the neck meets and shoulder blade area. I am terrified but am out of options.

This is not being covered under workers comp even though my doc said it was a result of the shoulder injury. I'm fine with that. The less WC crap the better.

Has anyone had these injections? Any insight would be great. Smile I'm just trying to figure out what to expect. I am truly a big BABY with needles LOL

My wife has had these done several different times and I think they have helped every time. I've watched the doctor do them a few times and I can say they didn't look fun but she never really said too much about the pain from getting them. She is going to have RF done next week on her neck

I have had them in the past. Had them in the shoulder and it was a painful needle but tolerable. Felt like the needle was going into the bone. I went back for more so it couldn't have been too bad Rolleyes
Take Care and Be Well
Tom

Topical Application of Lidocain-Prilocaine Cream to the injection site prior to the injection can help with the pain/discomfort. There is also a Lidocaine Gel that is used, that application is used mainly for kids prior to surgery for IV's. Applying ice to the site prior to injection can also help.

Thank you for the replies/suggestions!

Sounds like the relief is worth the initial pain, especially if you go back for more!. Guess I'm going to take the plunge... maybe a little xanax will help the nerves before I go. The two things I hate most in life are airplanes and needles LOL. I got on a plane this week last year (first time in 20 years) to visit mom in Hawaii for her 60th, this year NEEDLES here I come! Ughhh Sad

Wink 
Cool
I have damage to both shoulders. One has a 3.5" tear with surgical failure. I never had trigger point injections, but then I have severe
medication allergies. At p/t the last 12 months I have pressure to trigger points done manually. Regular p/t since 2005. In the beginning it was horrid pain, now as long as I do not miss a week, it gets easier.
Have you had it done manually? Bernie
L shoulder torn 3.5" R shoulder damaged. Heart damage, carpal tunnel (L&R) cataplexy/narcolepsy, arthritis, hypoglycemic. +. Bernie

(02-02-2011, 09:00 PM)Bernie57 Wrote: Cool
I have damage to both shoulders. One has a 3.5" tear with surgical failure. I never had trigger point injections, but then I have severe
medication allergies. At p/t the last 12 months I have pressure to trigger points done manually. Regular p/t since 2005. In the beginning it was horrid pain, now as long as I do not miss a week, it gets easier.
Have you had it done manually? Bernie

I have never had it done manually. Definitely sounds like another option though. Thanks I'll have to ask about it Smile

Trigger point injections are just a long acting lidocaine injected into the muscle to reduce spasms and its nothing more then a little sting....its worth trying but if that doesn't work ask your doc about botox injections that will paralyz the muscle that spasms for about 3 months....I had 2 rounds done...

(02-22-2011, 01:16 AM)countryygrl Wrote: Trigger point injections are just a long acting lidocaine injected into the muscle to reduce spasms and its nothing more then a little sting....its worth trying but if that doesn't work ask your doc about botox injections that will paralyz the muscle that spasms for about 3 months....I had 2 rounds done...

The Botox didn't do anything for me. Everyone is different and what may not work for me may work for you
Take Care and Be Well
Tom

actually the botox didnt do anything for me either other than paralyze the right side of my neck but i have heard it works for many people so i figured i would put it out there because i never heard of it until 2 years ago...
[b]5 work related back injuries, 1 rotator tear, 1 neck injury, no surgeries thank god but lots of NYS WC experience over 25 years.[/b]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  epidural injections for herniated disc? nurse83 22 37,203 04-08-2016, 01:37 AM
Last Post: pattik1130
  At what point does an injury no longer become WC responsibility vinga 3 3,947 02-20-2014, 07:18 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Carpal Tunnel/Trigger Thumb in South Carolina Amarie1121 5 7,163 08-13-2013, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Amarie1121
  Steroid Injections hurt back 53 37,625 06-27-2012, 10:00 AM
Last Post: hurt back
  Steriod Injections for Herniated Disks ib neck casual1 0 3,225 06-26-2012, 06:56 PM
Last Post: casual1
  What results can I expect from epidural steroid injections bagpussinamerica 10 20,644 10-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Manley2
  point of no return darkstar 6 4,764 11-03-2009, 01:49 AM
Last Post: darkstar
  Epidural injections bronco54501 35 19,859 07-15-2009, 08:53 AM
Last Post: capricorn
  Injections tomorow bronco54501 15 8,628 05-25-2009, 12:01 PM
Last Post: Stumpy
  carpal tunnel- trigger finger sistylou 17 24,027 04-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Last Post: Noyz98