• Please excuse our dust
  • We are continuing the redesign of our forums
  • We'll get there eventually!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions in Illinois
I have been on workman's comp since April 2010 for a shoulder injury and am strongly debating going back to school this upcoming semester. Just wondering if attending school will have any effect on future settlements, ect. This is for a 2 yr program at the local jr college that I had applied to sometime ago and was finally accepted into which I received a scholarship for. My attorney said he felt that if I stayed within my restrictions, I should be ok. Also, I just found out yesterday that my second surgery has been approved and is scheduled for Jan 31, so this is something else to take into consideration when debating on returning to school. I have a hunch that my shoulder injury may end up being a career ender for me. If anyone has any thoughts regarding this I would really appreciate it. Oh and to top things off, since my employer terminated all my heallth benefits, I rec'd my COBRA packet today in the mail.......over 1/3 of my monthly benefits.....ugh!

Welcome to the forum!

The shoulder injury may be the end of your career but going to college may be the start of a new career.

My attorney said that taking a class is ok- I was injured in 2005 in Illinois- but a whole new path should wait until a decision is made on your claim, a review is done on a functional capacity evaluation, and if it is indeed a "career ending injury" and you are able to work in another trade or job- vocational rehab or even your classes should be paid for by the IC. I'm not a lawyer- the choice is yours- if you have other skills or a new education prior to your settlement- it's a given that it will be severely reduced. And also the consideration that you can attend a full 2 years of classes, full time, while injured, can give the IC cause to terminate your comp. Good luck and best wishes on the surgery!!

(01-07-2011, 09:07 PM)rtwngbro Wrote: My attorney said that taking a class is ok- I was injured in 2005 in Illinois- but a whole new path should wait until a decision is made on your claim, a review is done on a functional capacity evaluation, and if it is indeed a "career ending injury" and you are able to work in another trade or job- vocational rehab or even your classes should be paid for by the IC. I'm not a lawyer- the choice is yours- if you have other skills or a new education prior to your settlement- it's a given that it will be severely reduced. And also the consideration that you can attend a full 2 years of classes, full time, while injured, can give the IC cause to terminate your comp. Good luck and best wishes on the surgery!!
Thank you! While I would love to move ahead and start the program, what you said makes a whole lot of sense! I just wish my atty had told me this. All he said was that if I stayed within my restrictions, I should be ok. This is my first encounter with IC and its so good to be able to get feedback from those of you you have been through this and have a whole lot more experience than I do with these issues.

Bull feathers...your settlement will be based on job loss...if you get a 25% loss then that is what you get paid for....going ahead going to collage or trade school and trying to get ahead shows the comp court you are serious and not a BSer....you are paid on what you made in your old job.....in most states.... some are different but in any case sitting at home and wasting time is a losers way of doing things.....depression sets in...and the go getter down the street gets your job....get up off your fanny and be proactive in your case and future...no one is gonna pay your way in this world....stay within your restrictions and you are fine.....listen to your lawyer.....thats what you pay him for.........2 posts and hes an expert psssst
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

11k posts and one would think you knew everything bout the Illinois WC Act- as well as what's happening with our lawmakers trying to turn it into an employer run venture, more or less. I posted my reply taking into consideration the fact that he had a shoulder injury- a 1/31 2nd surgery- follow up rehab-as well as a 2 year, full schedule college load. Also who is going to transport him to college, carrying a full load of books(backpack on a bad shoulder?)-allowing him to miss class for Rehab, Dr appts- Ime's-or a lack of concentration due to pain or medications? I work in a trade where shoulder injuries are common and I've seen the rehab side and the development of arthritis and many other problems(ie: nerve damage, tendon problems, calcium development, repeat surgery, etc.) I merely expressed an opinion, based in fact, and unlike others, never claimed in writing or tone, to be an expert. In Illinois an FCE has a large bearing on your restrictions, as well as your Dr's opinion. A second surgery is iffy as to the outcome- so any consideration of activity so close to it IN MY OPINION, should be shelved until the outcome of such surgery and Rehab. And BTW Jayne,as you appear to be respected here......I've been on this Forum since 2006.Tongue

its done everyday...ask AQA... ask many on here that do it... course you have to want to better yourself...not sit at home and veg.....My daughter did it with both her knee and ankle in cast after a car wreck.....if you have been on here that long then you know better than to give an answer like that...you have to be your own advocate...cuz when push comes to shove no one in the WC world gives a rats ass if you can pay the rent or electric bill so if you can get into school and better yourself while staying within restrictions and collect TTD its win win......He has a bad shoulder hes not dead...welcome home BBBB

AQA Offline
Old Red Neck
RE: Hearing today........
As you now know. You have to be careful with what you say and do. Having a WC claim means that you can not work.
Going to the cabin and your sons activies are very dangerous when it comes to a claim.

I understand your position. Just because you are injured does not mean you can't live your life. However; you need to be careful.

That's one of his posts from today- no? Furthermore- I'm not sure how things are done in Oklahoma, but a car accident is nowhere close to a worker's comp case. Let's try to help each other here- and not advise anyone of anything that could potentially cause a negative effect to either health or legal and financial well being. I do know from personal experience that if you can do any full time activity while on TTD in MY state, that is cause to have your Pay and Medical treatment suspended. You Jayne, apparently have no idea that some people are indeed totally disabled during employment, and due to you number of posts- I would not be surprised to find out that You work for an insurance company, and are paid to troll forums to discourage IC claims. That's from a minor review of your posts. I'm done with this conversation and wish the OP the best of luck.Smile

ROFLMFAO.....many on this forum have met me....many have been thru hell with me.....IC adjuster ROFLMFAO 1171 can you believe that.....oh crap what a huge laugh

(01-13-2011, 06:41 PM)rtwngbro Wrote: AQA Offline
Old Red Neck
RE: Hearing today........
As you now know. You have to be careful with what you say and do. Having a WC claim means that you can not work.
Going to the cabin and your sons activies are very dangerous when it comes to a claim.

I understand your position. Just because you are injured does not mean you can't live your life. However; you need to be careful.

That's one of his posts from today- no? Furthermore- I'm not sure how things are done in Oklahoma, but a car accident is nowhere close to a worker's comp case. Let's try to help each other here- and not advise anyone of anything that could potentially cause a negative effect to either health or legal and financial well being. I do know from personal experience that if you can do any full time activity while on TTD in MY state, that is cause to have your Pay and Medical treatment suspended. You Jayne, apparently have no idea that some people are indeed totally disabled during employment, and due to you number of posts- I would not be surprised to find out that You work for an insurance company, and are paid to troll forums to discourage IC claims. That's from a minor review of your posts. I'm done with this conversation and wish the OP the best of luck.Smile

[Image: zzzhahaHA.gif]
"Jayne, a trolling insurance adjuster?" Whatcha smokin', bro?!"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Illinois Workers Comp questions dla123 3 4,126 04-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Last Post: 1171
  I'm in Illinois, settlement questions BigDan01 4 4,546 01-14-2011, 09:20 PM
Last Post: Manley2
  End of WC payment questions in Illinois FanofIllinois 18 7,203 05-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  Newbee from Illinois with a few questions! dsny1mom 7 2,726 08-24-2007, 06:54 PM
Last Post: dsny1mom