Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cervical spine injury question
Hi AQA, yes I had the emg/nct. The testing was for the DX of carpal tunnel of the right side.
The results was mild carpal tunnel with the elbow testing abnormal.

I wanted to see if the burning on the right side is related to CT or the cervical hernation, it is due to the hernation.

Last night was one of those night where I did the massage chair, tens unit, heat pack, & Loratab. I think I got about 2 hours sleep. I do hope I get some sleep tomight as I have the settlement hearing tomorrow.

I return to the neurosurgeon next week, and he will review the new MRI & emg/nct with me.
Then we will discuss treatment options.

today was a bad day and I dont see tonight getting any better....my head has hurt all day...meds dont help a bit.....fingers and hands on both sides feel as if they are asleep sometimes other times numb...am constantly doing ice and heat and massage Quietdude is helping to stretch the neck.....will get a bit of relief.....strangest thing tho a patch about the size of my out stretched hand on the back of my scalp burns/itches like hell.....started yesterday....cant hardly stand to run a brush thru my hair.....first time for this.....
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

hi im joanne i have a cervical spine injury since april 2009 i have just recently had surgery for carpul tunnel and my shoulder but reading ur info i dont think i want the fusion which involves three discs i want to be pain free but im not so sure that surgery is gonna better me and injections are not for me since i am allergic to steroids found that out in 2008 on elbow injury so should i settle my case now and live with this pain in the neck and try to enjoy my grandkids as best i can im so like dont know what to do any advice would greatly help

(01-05-2011, 12:35 PM)Joanne Wrote: hi im joanne i have a cervical spine injury since april 2009 i have just recently had surgery for carpul tunnel and my shoulder but reading ur info i dont think i want the fusion which involves three discs i want to be pain free but im not so sure that surgery is gonna better me and injections are not for me since i am allergic to steroids found that out in 2008 on elbow injury so should i settle my case now and live with this pain in the neck and try to enjoy my grandkids as best i can im so like dont know what to do any advice would greatly help

Hi Joanne and Welcome!
The determination to have surgery is just not the pain itself but what else may be wrong. If you have a herniation that is into the spinal cord or if you have nerve impingement the doctor may tell you surgery is the only way to go. That may not stop your pain however as I found out.
Listen to your doctors and get second opinions
Take Care and Be Well
Tom

(12-30-2010, 01:56 PM)Bummer Knees Wrote: I have a question for those with a cervical spine injury.

I sleep on my sides at night and have trouble with tingling down the arms and into the hands and, with my arms & hands going to sleep. Dosn't matter what side I sleep on.
My question is could this be related to problems with the cervical spine?

(I'm unable to sleep on my back due to doing so causes increased pain of the lumbar spine)

This is what my most recent MRI reads:

There is moderate left lateral protrusion of the C5-6 disc. This is causing pressure on the anterior left side of the cord and on the orgin of the left nerve root as it enters the neural foramen.

C4-5 There is mild to moderate spondyletic change with anterior spurring.

C6-7 There is mild spondyletic change with mild anterior spurring.

Thanks for your help.
Bummer Knees

I have done a lot of reading about compression in the cervical area cauing lumbar pain. For now try wearing a soft cervical collar until you can find the right treatment plan. Lazor or disc replacement. I would never have had fusions if I had known where it would leed. You have to do somthing so you don't suffer perminate damage.

God Bless

(12-30-2010, 01:56 PM)Bummer Knees Wrote: I have a question for those with a cervical spine injury.

I sleep on my sides at night and have trouble with tingling down the arms and into the hands and, with my arms & hands going to sleep. Dosn't matter what side I sleep on.

(I'm unable to sleep on my back due to doing so causes increased pain of the lumbar spine)

There is moderate left lateral protrusion of the C5-6 disc. This is causing pressure on the anterior left side of the cord and on the orgin of the left nerve root as it enters the neural foramen.

Thanks for your help.
Bummer Knees

(07-21-2017, 02:32 PM)smith.daniel@centurylink.net Wrote:
(12-30-2010, 01:56 PM)Bummer Knees Wrote: I have a question for those with a cervical spine injury.

Thanks for your help.
Bummer Knees
Take Care and Be Well
Tom

I think it could very well be connected. I had an arm go completely dead and cold in the middle of the night. Had it stayed that way much longer it could have caused permanent damage. It freaked out both me and my wife.
I still get tingling and occasional numbness in both arms and hands and my injury was back in 2005
Take Care and Be Well
Tom

In my experience, once there has been an injury to the cervical spine (in my case a herniation requiring a fusion
of C-3, C-4, C-5, C-6, these sections are all the nerve centers for pathways to the shoulder , arms hands and fingers. My injury started with my neck and right arm. My right arm became spastic. After my fusion in 2003
the spastic impulses to my right arm stopped. I had no problems with pain, numbness or tingling for a number of years. However, by about 2009 my range of motion was becoming acutely restricted. My arms, hands and fingers became numb when I used them for routine tasks. I have to switch back and forth while driving, now, every few minutes. My numbness and pins and needles became a continual bother upon wakening. Worse, the neuropathy from the injury reached the stage whereby I suffered pain continually day and night. Especially, in my lower arms. I was able to carry a sack of groceries but as time progressed any type of upper body stress went directly to my neck and the pain in my arms was more constant.
Today, I usually wake to find that although I can feel my arms, I can't raise them. I am essentially stuck in bed. I work my legs to the edge and try to roll off into a sitting position. As I work to get control to move my arms and hands, I reach for my morning medicine in a shot glass. I take the medicine with enough water to swallow (due to the problem of the permanent nitch inside my throat from the surgery). As the medicine gets into my blood stream I work to start rallying myself to get on my feet. Sometimes it's worse -sometimes it's easier, but it requires motivation and discipline. Sometimes the numbness is present although sometimes it is simply the process of reestablishing control of my arms. Often, I also suffer increasing pain in my neck as I try to ambulate to the coffee pot. I usually spend the next hour reestablishing the neuropathways in order to bathe. I often must stop my bath to rest my arms as the elevation to soap and rinse my hair takes more strength than I can muster,

Regardless of the commonalities regarding nerves in the human body. we are all different to some degree. there is very little known regarding what can be done for neuropathy. If you have multiple cervical spine problems, be alert as to what is normal for you and what is not! Then, report the changes as they become
the norm and communicate with your doctor.

(12-30-2010, 01:56 PM)Bummer Knees Wrote:
Bummer,
Sorry to hear of your suffering. I am disabled due to lumbar DDD. You also have DDD but your effected areas are a little higher. I have some sites for you to read that may help send you down correct path. 1st) you must understand this is permanent and not going to improve without appropriate medical care including but not limited to surgery, pain management.

This absolutely could be related  to a cervical  spine injury. You want this issue addressed ASAP!!!!!!!!!  Because of its location.  

When laying on your back try placing a stiff pillow under knees, when on side try placing pillow between knees or ask your treating DR. for advice as things like a pillow do great things for comforting DDD. \

HERE ARE SOME SITES TO LOOK AT the 1st one is very technical but if you have been learning about your injury which is ALWAYS recommended 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2989526/

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/fea...eck-pain#1

https://www.spine-health.com/conditions/...-neck-pain

Except the 1st mostly these are in latmans terms

we all at workers compensation  forums wish you the very  best

BUG  

Ps FEEL FREE TO CALL ON US ANY TUME                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    ============================= ===================================                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
I have a question for those with a cervical spine injury.

Thanks for your help.
Bummer Knees

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Will I get an impairment rating on multiple levels of my spine at MMI examination? Kappa6m3 3 684 07-16-2018, 09:34 AM
Last Post: Texas_IME
  Disability Rating question -lumbar spine 57% RootsGal 14 3,451 12-10-2017, 06:13 PM
Last Post: RootsGal
  Second Surgery (Cervical Spine) smith.daniel@centurylink.net 7 2,189 10-18-2017, 08:51 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Cervical Spine second surgery (What to expect?) smith.daniel@centurylink.net 2 804 07-30-2017, 11:17 AM
Last Post: California_Help
  QME on 10/25 for plantar fascia and lumbar spine injury jarimiah 10 4,086 10-29-2016, 11:02 PM
Last Post: California_Help
Question Extent of Injury question salvador5266 1 1,751 03-09-2016, 08:49 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Cervical injury people AQA 2 1,145 12-14-2015, 10:47 PM
Last Post: AQA
  Need advice on getting a spine stimulator implant tpm 12 7,161 08-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Last Post: tpm
  Quick question about Lumbar injury, rating, and state disability Frayed 17 23,763 10-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Last Post: Frayed
  Lumbar and Cervical Injury my2xyz 4 10,043 10-25-2013, 07:15 PM
Last Post: CheriLovesJesus7